• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Bubble Teatrino

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
b4k4ni04

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:36 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
I'm going to sit in front of Funimations booth at every con in the country and cry if they don't license the 2nd season of Higurashi.

You'd think everyone would want to know who the Big Bad is?

Honestly, they need to. The story is not complete without the Second Season.

... great. With You -絆- Just called dibs on being the song stuck in my head for the moment @.@;.

(Topic jump -> GSG) I've long wanted and only recently purchased the Viridian Collection for the 1st season. Fansubs were inconsistent for -Il Teatrino-, but I somehow plowed through the raws. I enjoyed the fact that it was not a sequel, but more of a filling in the gaps, and putting more focus on a chronological story. Whereas the first season focused more on "The girl has a mechanical body. However, she is still an adolescent child" .. Er, more on the girls and conflicts surrounding their changed reality.

When I find the (money/shelf space/box set) I'll be sure to pick -Il Teatrino- up as well Very Happy. Good to see a good review for it. Same for Higurashi. ... damnit, now Kata tsubasa no tori (Umineko's OP) has claimed rights to momentary stuckness. :arghfist: ...
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It should be a criminal offense to rent out apartments in this state without air conditioning.

Or sell arid land to yuppies who waste our tax dollars bailing them out of fires and killing poor firemen in the process. Rolling Eyes
Kenotic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quote
K.o.R wrote:
Damn, that Higurashi box is sweet. Fewer people would give you strange looks for that one than the singles' box (pink and fan-service-tastic).

No kidding. I have the first season as single discs ('twas a happy place around my house when Funi announced they were continuing!) but the case that came with the first disc is sitting the closet. I don't need creepy shots of Mion/Shion Twin-cest showing on my shelf.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I watched a couple episodes of Higurashi online a few months back. I must say I was thoroughly disturbed(in a good way) by cutesy schoolgirls turning homicidal. I really want to finish watching the series, but I wonder if rightstuf will reduce the price on their old stock of the single volumes?
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:30 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Yeah, here's the thing: Orphen isn't 52 episodes. It's 26. They just added on the sequel Orphen: The Revenge to make it somehow "complete." In spite of how the second season is unnecessary and absolutely awful compared to the first one, which was rather good, if dated at this point. I mean seriously, I cannot come up with a single thing about the second season that makes it remotely worth watching. When the Azalie story was finished, it was just lame. If you're going to buy Orphen, get the original cheap somewhere on ebay, don't pay for a set where half of it is unbearable.

Agree with you about Revenge but I really did enjoy the Esperanza character... She was cool & enigmatic &, most important of all, a hot redhead Twisted Evil Then they spoiler[offed her & totally wasted the character (& build up) in a manner that actually made me angry... I haven't been that annoyed at the seemingly senseless killing of a character since Emma Sheen in Zeta Gundam. ]The trolls also got a little too much face time...

I just looked at the wiki page on Orphen & I finally got the whole Black Tiger/Shrimp Boy running joke... How embarrassing Embarassed I guess I assumed it was something the dub lost in translation.
joystick1101

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
What is really convenient about this series is that all of its episodic stories are actually told across two episodes. This means that in any given Darker than BLACK disc you buy (or rent), you're getting two complete storylines.

This isn't entirely true, since the 1st two disc have 5 episodes. So the 1st disc gives you two complete storylines and a half. You can watch disc 2 without disc 1 but you won't know whats going on in episode 6. Thats the only instance though.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:24 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Watch [Orphen] in Japanese.
It's one of Koyasu's best psycho characters. FlameSoul (Heart? I forget who was in the 2nd) is waaaaaay out there.
I'll take your word for it on Koyasu's performance (although Ukyo in Samurai 7 is definitely up there in my book), but the one outstanding thing about Orphen+Revenge for me is the English dub.

Like Bamboo says, the show's production values were never great to begin with, and they look dated today. The story... yeah, the first season was better, but it was still nothing special, and there were a lot of random filler and side-quest episodes. The dub is a vast improvement on the lame, clichéd, heard-it-a-hundred-times Japanese dialogue. With the writing of Steven Foster in the first season and Kathleen Moynihan in Revenge, the Orphen dub shines with the same kind of spark and originality as other ADV dubs like Colorful, Milk-chan, and Ghost Stories. I watched both seasons in English with the (vastly-different) subtitles on, and found the English dialogue simply more entertaining than what I was following in the subtitles.

I know Bamboo didn't care for the dub 8 years ago, and true, it inspired a lot of controversy for being highly unfaithful to the original. One example from season 2 (which was relatively faithful, compared to season 1) :
Orphen, in Japanese wrote:

But that's too damn bad!
Armor of Halos, that I do spin!
Spire of the Sun, that I do form!

Orphen, in English wrote:

Well I'm on to you now!
Never imagined myself...fighting a tree!
So why don't you make like a tree... and get out of here!
Kathleen Moynihan must be a film lover, because other than that reference, she also worked "You shall not pass!" and "Dodge this!" (which she also used in E's Otherwise) into the Revenge script.
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:19 am Reply with quote
Hard for me to understand the dislike of some for Higurashi S2. Higurashi is one serial story, 50 episodes long. If you stopped watching Eureka Seven at episode 26, it would be the same. You would have watched half the story. Sure, some shows fail in the second half, but Higurashi isn't one of those.

The story changes tone in the last half (as many do). You slowly climb a hill of questions in the first half, then increasingly run down the other side of solutions. You quickly start gaining some answers to the WTF loops of the first half, and there is less pure shock value from horror. That and the characters develop (as they should), becoming more proactive and focused on a common goal as the story morphs toward an action thriller from a horror mystery. I never lost interest, because I was invested in the characters, themselves fascinating and worth watching, plus the quality production values. But also some of the most moving, even wrenching, episodes and performances occur in the last half--part of that tone change that may put some people off. Altogether, I thought it was a brilliantly constructed and very well executed combination of humor, drama, action and horror.

I'm in that lobby, too, just ranting instead of crying Wink

On GG, interesting to find that Bamboo has a much better opinion of it than nearly every other fan on the planet. I finally bought it blind, having neglected to finish the fansubs. For once, I'll skip re-watching season one in hopes the drop in art quality doesn't seem too stark.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And look, Funimation—if you don't license and release the second season, I will sit in your lobby and cry. I need to see it.

Exactly what I was going to say! Regardless of what any forumites that disliked When They Cry 2 say about it, the second season is exciting and breathtaking as all heck where you really root for the characters fighting for a happy ending thanks to the first series, and it shows how the first season is NOT just a series of varied stories that reboot every time and even explains it. It needs to be licensed, and I need it to be a part of my library, period.

The thinpak looks nice, but I'm glad to have gotten the artbox with all its singles and the nice When They Cry pictures contained within.
Flik

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
However, I do have to wonder what they were thinking with the packaging, which is a little ungainly. Each season is packaged in a big, fat clamshell roughly the size of a VHS. Open it up and you see a spindle of discs, which means if you want to get at the last disc, you have to take out the entire stack. The other side of the case just has a massive wedge of plastic foam. It seems to me they could've just used one of the thinpaks that hold 4-discs each, because the way it is, the entire boxset is pretty bulky.

Glad to know that I'm not the only one this has happened to.

I ordered the new boxset of Mahoromatic (seasons 1+2) off RightStuf last week and it is also liscensed by Sentai Filmworks. I was slightly upset to find the exact same box configuration you described here. A spindle of disks with a piece of foam on the other side. None of the other 30+ dvds of anime I own are packaged like that, and it's a pretty cheap way to do it. It makes the boxset unnecessarily bulky and unflattering to the eye as well.

Oh well, you can't really tell when it's sideways on the shelf anyways.
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Bamboo's belief that Darker Than Black will never give her answers is perhaps a good one, since it'll prepare her for the open-ended ending.
I've been following the SL reviews of DTB precisely because from the very first one I had a feeling that Bamboo's thoughts on the show would be like mine, and so far they have been. To quote my MyAnime blurb, my feelings on the show can be summed up with "A very interesting setting that I felt wasn't explored enough. I felt cheated at every turn by this show's story and direction. Artwork and music were very nice. The kind of series that I wanted to like but...couldn't."

I didn't care for much of the cast and the plot has too many holes and the setting needed more exploration and I kept watching it because I kept hoping that I'd get answers, but they really never came, which left me feeling like I'd wasted a lot of time on the show.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:28 am Reply with quote
bigheart711 wrote:
Error's fixed now, but it would be EXTREMELY rare if all the DVD's reviewed were on the Shelf Worthy mark.

I think it would be unprecedented, actually. This has happened once or twice before, so it didn't really throw me.

Zalis116 wrote:
Orphen, in Japanese wrote:

But that's too damn bad!
Armor of Halos, that I do spin!
Spire of the Sun, that I do form!

Orphen, in English wrote:

Well I'm on to you now!
Never imagined myself...fighting a tree!
So why don't you make like a tree... and get out of here!

So they took a spell invocation and turned it into a bad pun? Glad I pretty much never watch dubs that so I didn't have to afflict myself with that, then. Anime hyper
panzer.time

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
It should be a criminal offense to rent out apartments in this state without air conditioning.

Or sell arid land to yuppies who waste our tax dollars bailing them out of fires and killing poor firemen in the process. Rolling Eyes

I know how that is. My grandparents live in a house in Huntington Beach without AC, and it's no fun to visit them when it's hot.

At least you don't live in the South. It's been in the nineties every day for like a month with 100 percent humidity (save the last four days or so, which have been in the 60s-70s).
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

I'll take your word for it on Koyasu's performance (although Ukyo in Samurai 7 is definitely up there in my book), but the one outstanding thing about Orphen+Revenge for me is the English dub.

I think it's one of the roles that really made me respect Koyasu's willingness to go all out on a role. The comparison between his performance & Chris Patton's is so extreme, it's pathetic.

spoiler[it's after he's died & has possessed his catatonic mother. ] I played it for my daughter & SHE thought it sounded like a chick, but it hits enough of his notes, I know it's Koyasu. I had already played it 3 times because I thought it might have been a chick doing it. It is totally & completely out there. His Ballardbird doesn't touch it, though I respect Andrew Watton for going as extreme on that one.
Radium Lavans on the bridge in ZOE:Idolo barely scratches the surface of Koyasu's psychoboy talents
Blame the American director for not pursuing the vision laid down in the original version, or the American VA for wussing out & not going as far. FlameSoul is incredible if just for that segment.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:24 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
So they took a spell invocation and turned it into a bad pun? Glad I pretty much never watch dubs that so I didn't have to afflict myself with that, then. Anime hyper
Aw, c'mon, that wasn't a bad pun, it was a bad/good Back to the Future reference Laughing "...make like a tree and leave!" would've been a bad pun.
Actually, every single spell in the Orphen dub is changed to some other dialogue. A lot of the bickering and bantering between characters is wholly re-written, especially Volcan's lame death threats. To put it one way, I wouldn't call anyone who has issues with these dubs an uptight purist. But they are a lot of fun if you enjoy a little Fosterization from time to time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4