• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Night of the Living Viewers Like You

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Emi_

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I really wish sports anime did better over here, then maybe I could legally own all of Hajime no Ippo. Of course, Geneon's release strategy didn't do the show any favors.
No Comment

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
That collection conversation was pretty depressing for someone who's just starting theirs, lol.
maaya

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
- For short 5 - 10 min. anime shows, that have a bit more than just one joke per episode, there's Hetalia and Tweeny Witches (but I think Zac watched those already?). Kyosogiga was already mentioned. It has 2 episodes for now, so not sure about how profound the story will become, but it's not a slice-of-life-comedy and has really great animation. And there's also Chibi Devi, which is comedy but since it's an adaption of a normal shojo manga, rather than a 4-panel gag manga, it will probably have more of a continuous story-line. And lastly, maybe you have seen it already, but Pale Cocoon is a little masterpiece, imaginative and pretty. It's one 20 min. episode only and I wish it would have been a whole series.

Apart from that, I agree that these mini-animes in general are never amazing. But the format works rather well for those gag manga adaptions, so for people looking for a comedy it's nice enough.

- As far as the mainstream appeal of anime series is concerned, you're certainly right saying that shows that require familiarity with japanese culture can appeal less to foreign viewers, if they can't relate to it etc. But actually, in the case of animes the japanese culture aspect doesn't seem to be the main issue. I can't think of many shows, like Zetsubo-sensei, that are just "too japanese". And even for japanese people or those familiar with japanese culture, a large number of anime series doesn't have a mainstream appeal. Especially when it comes to animes aimed at adults (it got mentioned briefly?), I think most of them are just too geeky for a general audience. If you don't care for 2D fanservice, they often don't have anything else to offer. Apparently fantasy shows like Guardian of the Spirit and 12 Kingdoms also sold pretty well in the US. They're based on japanese and chinese culture / mythology, but have lots of mainstream appeal.

- lol, a hit ratio of 2 good shows per season is good? I dunno, I see what you mean. In a way, it's actually nice that you can still find that many. And at the same time I can't help feeling that given the sheer number of shows getting produced, there should be a lot more you'd consider "worthwhile".
Mmh, somehow I don't understand the "all US cop shows" = "all animes" comparison? Obviously, anime is not one genre. I'd compare all new shows coming out in a season, live action and anime. And then comparing the hit ratios makes sense. Or did I misunderstand something?
Shadowblade Edge

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:05 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
The comment about SHAFT selling out confuses me, as that implies that at some point, they were not pandering to the audience for the sake of profit. Pretty sure Moon Phase was doing that before people even realized moe was destroying anime.

It wasn't until Bakemonogatari that they even had a legit success, until then, their most successful show was what, Hidamari?

I think it's also not a wild assumption to say that Shinbou, the director of nearly everything SHAFT has done since Moonphase, just likes such things. It's not selling out if you like what you're doing.

More importantly I think it's a safe bet to assume the noted internet terrorist that said that was being fairly ironic.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote
No Comment wrote:
That collection conversation was pretty depressing for someone who's just starting theirs, lol.

Don't be discouraged! I welcome you to the world of physical media collecting! Young blood to boost our ranks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
No Comment wrote:

Don't be discouraged! I welcome you to the world of physical media collecting! Young blood to boost our ranks!

There's always the classics to get anyway, I suggest garage sales!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote
@ No Comment

Don't be discouraged. You still have several years and lots of backstock to get. The time to worry about the death of physical media is when your aging DVD/Bluray player cannot be replaced easily. Especially if no new technology is in place for physical copies.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Cross Game is probably the most realistic sports anime I've seen and it's fantastic. It 's hard to call it a sports anime in the traditional sense because the human is first and foremost in that series. Most of the time you don't even see a full game.

I don't just because it takes baseball more seriously makes it better though. As a baseball I do like how it treats the game. Which is more important to me. Eyeshield 21 for example I just couldn't take seriously as an anime about football.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:21 am Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
Cross Game is probably the most realistic sports anime I've seen and it's fantastic. It 's hard to call it a sports anime in the traditional sense because the human is first and foremost in that series. Most of the time you don't even see a full game.

I don't just because it takes baseball more seriously makes it better though. As a baseball I do like how it treats the game. Which is more important to me. Eyeshield 21 for example I just couldn't take seriously as an anime about football.

you haven't seen big windup have you.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:05 am Reply with quote
For keeping track of my anime and manga collection, I do everything manually in Excel. Started collecting around 2005 and fortunately started playing around with Excel around 2006. It's still a work in progress (and has been since I started it lol), but at least I don't have to worry about losing track or (accidentally) double-dipping. And with a Windows Phone, I can easily view the Excel file. I want to eventually use Access, but I'm still unfamiliar with that program; plus I wouldn't be able to easily view it on my phone without going to servers and databases all that...

Sadly, I have accidentally double-dipped on a small handful of items, but at least it happens rarely Razz

I do have a DVD Aficionado account, and while I keep it updated, I don't use it as a reference to my collection.

My only problem is shelf space. I would like just about everything on display, but since I keep everything in my room, I only have so much space to display everything. I have to make a front and back row for each shelf to get as much on them as possible. Since that's not enough, I only shelf what I really like and box what I never really cared for. That's a good reason to perhaps sell them, but for whatever reason, I still keep them. I've been fighting myself for over a year about whether or not to let some things go.

I'm not much into digital media as I am into streaming, but mostly because there isn't much in the way of legal digital anime (and that DRM) and manga. For anime, it's just streaming, and I'm fine with that, despite not actually owning my own copy of the title. I'm interested in places like VizManga and JManga, but the former is limited to VIZ licenses and the latter has its own limitations. I do have a large archive of fansubs, but with most titles being simulcast now, I hardly download anymore. I think Little Busters is currently my only download for the fall season.

Of course, there's more to digital media than just anime and manga. However, for items outside those two, I do go out and buy the BD/DVD or book. That may be because I don't crave a large amount from that area. If I was sure that everything would always be there, tied to my account, then I could see myself buying movies over things like XBox Marketplace (or whatever they changed it to from Zune). I know that you can buy anime from there as well, but I think that's just FUNimation stuff. Maybe one day, if I get a good media PC, I can just go digital; at least with non-anime stuff.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:29 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
bleachj0j wrote:

you haven't seen big windup have you.

I actually haven't
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:01 am Reply with quote
@Asrialys
I have the same issues with space so I box and stack everything up. I use this: http://www.snapnstore.com/ since each box fits standard size BD/DVD cases and CD cases exactly. I have to find another box just for the NIS premium editions though. Shelf space for me is soley used for books now, since they are much harder to store, being of varying sizes.

Buying the music or movie media, ripping or downloading it, boxing it up then watching everything digitally is much more convenient.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
@Asrialys
I have the same issues with space so I box and stack everything up. I use this: http://www.snapnstore.com/ since each box fits standard size BD/DVD cases and CD cases exactly. I have to find another box just for the NIS premium editions though. Shelf space for me is soley used for books now, since they are much harder to store, being of varying sizes.

Hm, there's some pretty nifty products on that site. I've been looking for storage like those to slide under my bed. Mostly for DS games and various other stuff, as my shelves are 100% for my collection Razz

Quote:
Buying the music or movie media, ripping or downloading it, boxing it up then watching everything digitally is much more convenient.

I had totally forgot about this option. I remember considering this a couple years ago and then totally forgot about it. I'd probably need to spend quite a bit for a good PC and the hard drive space for all that...
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else think Zac and Justin rather misrepresented the review of From Up On Poppy Hill? The reviewer's final score might have been B+, but the text was really very positive --- and rightly emphasised that the film was a completely different animal from the brainless Earthsea.
I thought there was a lot to like in it, that Goro went a long way to redeeming himself, and I would urge people not to write it off if they had a chance to watch it.
yoursh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:28 am Reply with quote
Finally got around to listening to the show. I'm the anime/manga collector(actually I wouldn't say collector, more of a active consumer of media) in the last segment, and wanted to thank Zac for having me on. Wanted to comment about something from the beginning of the show. When I heard that they were planning on recording the Revenge of the 00's toward the end of the year, I though it would make a perfect fill in for the holidays. It can be prerecorded since it's not time sensitive and the decade shows are long enough to fill multiple podcasts. Fits in nicely over the last couple weeks of the year when no one is around. So don't feel bad about it being later in the year. It just means we will have something to listen to over the holidays.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3