• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Life-Size Gundam's Closing Ceremony Dropped Due to Typhoon

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Braking News: Giant Gundam statue saved from destruction by act of god in the form of a typhoon. Gundam cult members claim that god is actually an otaku.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:05 am Reply with quote
I just came back from a trip to Japan and visited the statue myself. No amount of photography or video recording beforehand could really capture the awesomeness of seeing the statue itself in real life. When the crowd went silent and the UC music began, and the Gundam's head started to move, I stood in complete admiration of this awe-inspiringly constructed statue as shivers ran up and down my spine. Having seen it against the sunset and lighting up colorfully at night, it was truly an amazing sight to behold.

I really hope they keep the statue up somewhere. The location in Odaiba actually seemed very appropriate, seeing it's already something of an entertainment/leisure area and the Fuji Television building is so close by. The train ride to the island is also very scenic, an excellent complement to the grandeness of the statue itself.

@RogueJedi86: The statue was actually standing in Odaiba, which is a large artificial island in Tokyo Bay. And as an aside, it just so happens that there is also a miniature Statue of Liberty only several blocks away from the location of the Gundam statue. Laughing
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:46 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 says:
Quote:
Put it up in Tokyo Bay, like a Japanese Statue of Liberty

Now that would be an interesting idea.Laughing
nagato316

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:08 am Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
RogueJedi86 says:
Quote:
Put it up in Tokyo Bay, like a Japanese Statue of Liberty

Now that would be an interesting idea.Laughing

Thirded. And I can see the commemorative plaque now:

"Give me your tired, your poor, your irreversibly fanatical...your huddled masses of otaku yearning to be free of ridicule by the mainstream masses etc etc...I lift my laser sword beside the golden door!"

Apologies to Emma Lazarus and her estate.
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:53 pm Reply with quote
What if they build a second Gundam, but this second one being of Turn A and after its showing... bury it deep underground for a certain Moonrace immigrant (to earth) to pilot.... Twisted Evil
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2