• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fushigi Yûgi: Genbu Kaiden Manga to End in 2 Chapters

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
roseversailles wrote:
To be honest, it's been so long since I last read the original Fushigi Yugi that I had forgotten about the tragic fate being revealed. spoiler[I really feel Watase is in her zone when she is handling tragedy (look at Ceres and now Genbu Kaiden), so I really hope she doesn't find a way to duck out of it into a happy ending (which I felt the original Fushigi Yugi kind of tacked on). I can see Takiko's death being due to consumption, with her passing in Uruki's arms.]

Now, for my side note Very Happy is the anime of Fushigi Yugi any good? I enjoyed the manga, but am wary of the animation. I just remember how Ceres went...

Second side note, I really haven't heard much about any controvery surrounding Sakura Gari. I know that it's a yaoi...was there something specific about it?

I really like the ending of the original. I think its one of the best ending I've ever read. I am talking about the initial ending on volume 13. The expansion of the story was unnecessary and it became too cheesy..

Anyway, I'm hoping for a bittersweet tragedy ending for Genbu Kaiden. A tragic tale would definitely elevate this series impact than that of a happy one. It'll definitely set the series apart from the normal shojo ending. The often serious/mature atmosphere of the series is suitable for a dramatic conclusion. After all some famous works ends in a tragedy right?

Well if you enjoyed the manga of Fushigi Yugi, you'll LOVE the anime. As Marie had mentioned, the anime counterpart is literally like the manga itself minus some parts and some very minor changes in the beginning. I love watching the anime, I casually watch it every 3 months or so. You'll love the characters even more, well most of them like the trio Nuriko, Tasuki and Chichiri.. But yeah I highly recommend the anime as well. That will never disappoint you, except you'll hear Miaka and Tamahome undying love sappy scenes though. Well you mentioned you enjoyed the manga so its basically the same.

Well if you haven't read Sakura Gari I don't really wanna spoil you but since you asked then spoiler[well its not really a major controversy its just that this series tackled some of the most disturbing themes. Like rape, manipulation, suicide, murder, abuse and such. This series almost had it all and its damn right fantastic. I for one was just astonished and was speechless. This is Watase in a whole different level. Its was just darn hauntingly gripping and oh so GORGEOUS to boot.

Oh and because st_owly mentioned about the under-age issue.. It's because the main character is 17 year old, in the US 18 is what considered to be adult but for Japan its 16. So basically because of this the series might just have "slim" chances to get publish. But thats ridiculous though since they could change that to 18 anyway. lol ]

Bottom line is Sakura Gari is a masterpiece. Its a finely told series, very well written and the time period heck everything about it is pitch perfect.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
roseversailles

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
chichiriNoDa wrote:

I really like the ending of the original. I think its one of the best ending I've ever read. I am talking about the initial ending on volume 13. The expansion of the story was unnecessary and it became too cheesy..

Anyway, I'm hoping for a bittersweet tragedy ending for Genbu Kaiden. A tragic tale would definitely elevate this series impact than that of a happy one. It'll definitely set the series apart from the normal shojo ending. The often serious/mature atmosphere of the series is suitable for a dramatic conclusion. After all some famous works ends in a tragedy right?

Well if you enjoyed the manga of Fushigi Yugi, you'll LOVE the anime. As Marie had mentioned, the anime counterpart is literally like the manga itself minus some parts and some very minor changes in the beginning. I love watching the anime, I casually watch it every 3 months or so. You'll love the characters even more, well most of them like the trio Nuriko, Tasuki and Chichiri.. But yeah I highly recommend the anime as well. That will never disappoint you, except you'll hear Miaka and Tamahome undying love sappy scenes though. Well you mentioned you enjoyed the manga so its basically the same.

Well if you haven't read Sakura Gari I don't really wanna spoil you but since you asked then spoiler[well its not really a major controversy its just that this series tackled some of the most disturbing themes. Like rape, manipulation, suicide, murder, abuse and such. This series almost had it all and its damn right fantastic. I for one was just astonished and was speechless. This is Watase in a whole different level. Its was just darn hauntingly gripping and oh so GORGEOUS to boot.

Oh and because st_owly mentioned about the under-age issue.. It's because the main character is 17 year old, in the US 18 is what considered to be adult but for Japan its 16. So basically because of this the series might just have "slim" chances to get publish. But thats ridiculous though since they could change that to 18 anyway. lol ]

Bottom line is Sakura Gari is a masterpiece. Its a finely told series, very well written and the time period heck everything about it is pitch perfect.

Thanks for your response! Looking back on it, I didn't very well state why I was disappointed with Fushigi Yugi's ending...basically, it was the same reason as yours (the expansion, which lessened the impact of the original ending, imo). I may sound weird to say this, but I love tragedies (so long as they ring true), though I never condemn a properly earned happy ending. I feel more for the couple Takiko and Uruki than I did Miaka and Tamahome, so I'm more emotionally invested in their fate than their predecessors. I really loved Nuriko in the original, so perhaps it's not a surprise! Razz For some reason, your description of Sakura Gari really reminds me of Ceres when it entered its later volumes. This means that it has risen to the top of my must read list, if only for the facts that I love beautiful art and the exploration of dark facets of human nature. Although, I must say that does sound VERY dark Shocked Considering I've only been reading fluff lately, that should be an interesting change. Between this and King Lear, I fear for my sanity Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2