• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's Happening with ADV Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faceman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me, or does this sound like "The Company Formally Known as ADV," a la Prince?
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Faceman wrote:
Is it just me, or does this sound like "The Company Formally Known as ADV," a la Prince?

A continuation and extension of that process as started with the whole Sentai/Switchblade announcements, yeah.

Though if Sojitz/ARM was that hostile an influence, it's a shame ADV couldn't pull the cash together to pop a reorganization and flush their ownership holdings.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quote
As long as I know who's logo is going to be on the sixtythird-thousandth re-release of Eva, I'll be fine.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
Well the article was a good recap of what is going on, so I'm thankful Chris McD posted it Very Happy

PS: So ADV stood for Animation Dubbing Visions? They were always playing coy with that one so its interesting to finally see what it meant (if it did - I sometimes though they were just random letters and ADV was having fun messing with peoples minds Wink )

I was always told it was Anime Distributors Vision. Dubbing would seem a bit odd, as initially ADV refused to dub titles in it's early years.

Regardless, still a good article. Great job.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Faceman wrote:
Is it just me, or does this sound like "The Company Formerly Known as ADV," a la Prince?

Laughing Just what I was thinking when I read the earlier thread about ADV's demise.

Thanks for the explanation and background, Christopher Smile
child of Lilith

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:34 pm Reply with quote
So ADV has basically pulled the old “jump in the river to lose the blood hounds” trick. Hope it works for them.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I just hope it doesn't affect my Raoh order.
michelous

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:43 pm Reply with quote
funi and bandai will just scoop adv's titles up
se37

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow... that makes sense. In a sense ADV Films isn't really dying... just rebranding if you will. While the logo and that part of ADV will be died the whole isn't yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:54 pm Reply with quote
BTW, I told you all Sojitz was greedy and to blame for the mess. It wasn't enough that they owned a significant chunk of ADV; they had to shut down contracts to extort more money out of the company. Fortunately, most of the stuff they sold under the table to FUNimation will probably do terribly for them, in terms of residuals.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quote
michelous wrote:

Considering Bandai can't scrape together enough money to dub it's own titles, or hit it's street dates, I can't see them rescuing any ADV titles. If they were wanting to rescue titles, I'm sure they would have picked up some of the old Geneon titles by now, but they haven't.

Anyway, in case you missed the article, the shows already have a new home.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:27 pm Reply with quote
We should make this a monthly article
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I understand the restructuring and all that. What I don't understand is why they needed to do it under four different companies, five if you include Sentai(<--debatable add-in)? I mean why not just restructure under one umbrella company (possibly two to take care of the Anime Network). Any insight on that would be much appreciated.

Once you start a different corporate entity then the slate should be clean from the get-go. Unless there are laws in Texas of which I am unaware.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I understand the restructuring and all that. What I don't understand is why they needed to do it under four different companies, five if you include Sentai(<--debatable add-in)? I mean why not just restructure under one umbrella company (possibly two to take care of the Anime Network). Any insight on that would be much appreciated.

Once you start a different corporate entity then the slate should be clean from the get-go. Unless there are laws in Texas of which I am unaware.

There could have been different investors in each company. Ledford may not have been able to get enough resources to transfer all the assets to one company. Acquiring ADV in pieces, may also have been cheaper and quicker.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:36 pm Reply with quote
michelous wrote:

??? Did you read anything? The press release, the news article, the editorial ... ? Any of it ?

I can't see how you think any titles that have already been transferred will be scooped up.

One or two might fall through the cracks and make their way to other licensees. But otherwise, they're all going to the new companies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7