• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's Happening with ADV Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:53 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the Clarification Chris. That really clears things up. I hope this will help ADV get back on their feet.
Dr.Lazarus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:06 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Let's hope ADV is more active dead and in peices than it was while "alive" in the past few years.

It's not really in pieces... If you look up the companies that bought out ADV in the Texas Business registration you'll notice they all have the same address.

VALKYRIE MEDIA PARTNERS, LLC
908 TOWN AND COUNTRY BLVD STE 120
HOUSTON, TX 77024-2208

SXION 23, LLC
HOUSTON, TX 77024-2208

SERAPHIM STUDIOS, LLC
HOUSTON, TX 77024-2208

And as far as the talk of a Clannad dub... I'm sure we will sooner or later. ADV sold the other 2 Key/VA titles to funi so I see no reason they won't do it with the third as well. I just expect they want to make some cash off it first. I suspect after they have finished releasing it all then they'll probably let funi get it, and I can't see funi putting it out without a dub. I'm being patient on it, but I have a few (non anime watching) people that I want to see it that refuse to watch anything that's subbed. *Sigh*
bleuster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:45 am Reply with quote
At first, I thought the green highlighted R.I.P. was going to link to a related article or an actual somber farewell of some sort, but it went to Tokoypop's Requiem in Phonybrian. I thought that was funny.

It could have been worse for ADV Films and others, but its just going to take time to sort all these out. Best of luck to them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:16 am Reply with quote
shawnek wrote:
Aria is a Nozomi title, not an AD Vision title.

I sit here shocked and stunned. I assumed ADV simply because it's running on their TANOD station.

Well, now that I know better: Where's the dub, Nozomi?
Wink

Did ADV pay to license this series on its own network?

I'm scared.

Certainly one can see how easy it can be to confuse who actually "owns" the series.

Not that I'm complaining. I love watching Aria. But to see it on an ADV station???

And this explains why I couldn't find the series under ADV listings.

*slaps self. Should have had a V8 (with cruise control, AC, CD...)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:35 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Wink

I guess your winky emote shows that you aren't truly expecting a dub of Aria from Nozomi. For the benefit of those who may not know, part of Nozomi's business plan is to license supah-niche titles subbed, since dubbing them would virtually guarantee losing money. I'm a dub-lubber myself, but my philosophy is always: better a sub than nothing at all.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:08 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I guess your winky emote shows that you aren't truly expecting a dub of Aria from Nozomi.

Of course not, but there's always hope. I'd love to see a dub release if the sub version sells better than expected.

However, garnering the attitudes from fans on this site tells me, quite frankly, this series isn't going to sell enough for a dub.

A shame, really.

Quote:
For the benefit of those who may not know, part of Nozomi's business plan is to license supah-niche titles subbed, since dubbing them would virtually guarantee losing money.

I gathered that right from the outset in looking at Nozomi titles available for purchase.

In fact, I always wonder what their criteria is for selecting such titles.

I'm wondering if the owner loves the series so much, he just had to bring it over because no one else would.

Thank goodness. Otherwise, I would have never heard of Aria and that's a big kudos for distributing it on TANOD, a competitor's station.

Last edited by PetrifiedJello on Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:12 am Reply with quote
What about that recording studio, Industrial Smoke and Mirrors?

And the voice actors that usually never make it to Funimation (Vic Mignonga and Greg Ayers will always have work it seems) I'd hate to never hear Hillary Haag and Cynthia Martniez's voices in other anime, they were my favorite voice actresses.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:38 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Wink

I guess your winky emote shows that you aren't truly expecting a dub of Aria from Nozomi. For the benefit of those who may not know, part of Nozomi's business plan is to license supah-niche titles subbed, since dubbing them would virtually guarantee losing money. I'm a dub-lubber myself, but my philosophy is always: better a sub than nothing at all.
Ah, but then to see other "supah-niche" titles on their catalogue with a dub, just makes a mockery of that business plan, but I digress. Rolling Eyes
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:44 am Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
Which is to say I think you should really stick closer to the "no editorializing" bit if you're going to use that excuse to split off a much more informative and helpful post away from the misleading news article. It might be better if you just combine the two.

Umm... You've made some incorrect assumptions here. It was indeed a mistake to write that. But it wasn't editorializing on our part.

I'll let you fill in the blanks.

-t
omoikane

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:50 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

Umm... You've made some incorrect assumptions here. It was indeed a mistake to write that. But it wasn't editorializing on our part.

I'll let you fill in the blanks.

-t

I already covered this possibility Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:51 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Blood- wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Wink

Ah, but then to see other "supah-niche" titles on their catalogue with a dub, just makes a mockery of that business plan, but I digress. Rolling Eyes

Which is exactly why I used the qualifier "part of" with respect to their business plan since not everything in their catalogue is sub-only. However, I think it is fair to say the preponderance of their more recent releases falls into the "super-niche therefore sub only" strategy. I also think it is fair to point out they sometimes try to compensate for a lack of a dub by offering extras such as the 96-page "Victorian Gazette" that came with the first season of Emma.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:20 am Reply with quote
as long as funi doesn't own licenses to all the anime in america we will be fine, lets just hope with this, we will see newer shows coming down the pipe sooner, like bandia did with kannagi, that is what we want. newer shows faster. I hate waiting years to be able to buy an official R1 DVD of a show, still want Rizelmine
(will never happen)

and with niche shows, I can't wait for antique bakery to be released by nozomi, and rental magica. I just wish one of these companies would bring Itazura na Kiss to america, and dub it so my girlfriend will watch it.
mangastudent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:21 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Sam Murai wrote:
[...] if Sojitz still owned 20% of ADV even after their partnership was cut off, what became of their share after ADV closed down? Would they get anything (money-wise) as a result or be affected by it in anyway? If the company isn't really going anywhere, then does Sojitz have any right to be suspicious enough of it to take any action against them, or would it be out of their hands as minority stakeholders?

There isn't much of anything that Sojitz would be able to do since they represent a minority of the ownership. As for their share, unless they are involved with the new companies they will have what other owners get when a company ends, whatever is left after creditors get their share. Oftentimes this amounts to little if anything since the assets are sold to pay debts. After they're paid there is a pecking order. Partnerships pay out according to how much each partner owns and corporations pay people with preferred stock first and then people with common stock. Usually by this point there isn't anything left for them.

To expand on this and correct an understandable error in the original editorial, specifically:

Christopher Macdonald wrote:
One thing that didn't change is that Sojitz continued to own 20% of A.D.Vision, Inc. This is a big problem because it's very, very hard for a corporation with a major hostile shareholder to acquire financing or investment.

A.D. Vision, Inc. was formed in 1992, and based on the "Inc" and the date was a corporation (correction: probably NOT an S since a company like A.D. Vision needs to keep profits in the company instead of disbursing them quickly to stockholders) and not a Limited Liability Company (LLC).

We're now all generally familiar with the constraints that normally come with an LLC where the various rights of the owners are defined in its Operating Agreement and can be quite restrictive. An LLC provides the limited liability of a corporation while otherwise being organized as a partnership.

In a corporation a small minority shareholder like Sojitz can maybe get 1 member on the board of directors (out of 4-5), who can easily be ignored. And if new investment dilutes the existing shareholders they all lose the same amount, but a minority shareholder has no veto rights. These very limited restrictions are of course a major reason why LLCs have become so popular.

And note the wording in the press release:

A.D. Vision wrote:
Through an asset purchase agreement, AEsir Holdings, LLC ("Aesir") acquired a subordinated interest in selected programming from ADV's film library together with other intellectual property subject to all liens and security interests of the Company's senior secured lender. The transaction requires Aesir to assume specific obligations and scheduled liabilities of the Company under legacy license agreements associated with the acquired programming.

Concurrently, the Company concluded an asset purchase agreement with SXION 23, LLC, doing business as "Section23 Films," a home video distribution company, under which it assumes account servicing and distribution operations in connection with the library acquired by Aesir, subject to all liens and security interest of the Company's senior secured lender.

This very clearly signals that their issues were with their creditors. They have worked out arrangements whereby the transferred assets come to the new companies "subject to all liens and security interest of the Company's senior secured lender."

As Greed1914 points out, there's a strict order in which entities get assets upon the dissolution of a corporation and it starts with secured lenders. When the senior lender lent money to A.D. Vision it was somewhat like a mortgage, in that at worse case they get ownership of the assets that secured the loan. The senior secured lender will (at least in theory) go along with all this since it is almost certain to get more money back from going concerns vs. auctioning off the assets in the current economic climate (general and for anime).

Bottom line: A.D. Vision, Inc. did not liquidate because of Sojitz's minority stake, but Sojitz is now totally out of their hair.

Last edited by mangastudent on Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:25 am Reply with quote
hmm... I guess it needed to be clearified. Even though technically ADV Films is dead, its still business as usually, just a new owner(s) and name(s). Hey, sometimes things need a name change. Look at the Kiwi fruit. It use to be called the chinese gooseberry and no one bought it. Now its in everything. Thanks ADV Films for the memories and tough business life lessons. May your new name bring back the spirit you had in the 90's.

Last edited by TatsuGero23 on Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:45 am Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 says:
Quote:
hmm... I guess it needed to be clearified. Even though technically ADV Films is dead, its still business as usually, just a new owner(s) and name(s). Hey, sometimes things need a name change. Look at the Kiwi fruit. It use to be called the chinese gooseberry and no one bought it. Now its in everything. Thanks ADV Films for the memories and though business life lessons. May your new name bring back the spirit you had in the 90's.

Interesting analogy but agreed that their new name bring back their 90s spirit. Gooseberry has an odd name indeed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7