• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Blue Drop, Polyphonica, Special A

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:47 pm Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
good - new titles coming to US

bad - no dubbing, minimum packaging, from value point of view, not much incentive to buy when there are fansubs...
Ageed. I don't think it's fair to charge the same price other companies do when the other companies give us dub options. I'd rather wait longer for dubs then have quick releases without the option. On that note none of these were really worth even keeping on my harddrive to begin with. Special A was good but not something I could re-watch.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I miss the days when license announcement were met with cheers instead of complaints... Confused
K.o.R

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote
My reaction was precisely thus: "Yay! Blue Drop! Oh... Sentai."

It took how long for the second YUA series to get licensed?

I recall ADV going out of their way to get hold of the original AnimEIGO/Coastal actors when they did the movie and mini-specials.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I welcome our new sub-only overlords.
Polly E.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:04 pm Reply with quote
In before dub whining...

Nevermind.
larinon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see the 2nd season of You're Under Arrest finally being brought over. I was a little surprised that Animeigo didn't pick it up years ago since they had the 1st season. At any rate, the lack of a dub does not affect my enjoyment of this release.

November is shaping up to be an expensive month for me. There are seven half-season (12 or 13 episode) releases that I'm going to buy now, plus another Hayate disc and the 1st Eva movie. At least as things currently stand.

Last edited by larinon on Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:07 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
The only incentive I need is "This is a legal and legitimate release that supports the show's creators."

Yep.

Good, I'll be happy to pick up S.A..
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:11 pm Reply with quote
sorry no dub no sale. But glad to see them pick up new titles, besides viz or funimation
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Polyphonica? I'll buy this if it's the original show and not this year's remake, which I couldn't finish.

[rant] And I suppose I'll have to put up with those idiotic new "stack" boxes that take up more room, use more resources, make it harder to get discs out, take longer to get the disc you want, virtually force you to leave the discs out and unprotected as you marathon through the series, and allow for damaging discs far more easily. I'm not sure what it requires for someone in a company to make that many mistakes in judgment and create packaging that is hostile to customers plus the environment. But whatever it is, they obviously have plenty of it. [/rant]

Polyphonica wasn't "great", but it was decent if you enjoy the genre. I buy because I watched it, as a way for me to give money to the creators. Not to get better quality--though that is often the case for subtitles and usually for video unless subbers have released a R2 DVD version. It isn't a fan service show (not ecchi anyway), so the DVDs will likely be the same as broadcast besides some clean-up. It wasn't well-supported in fansubs (the original or the remake), so the DVD video quality should be better.

I'm mostly a sub fan anyway, so I don't feel like I lost something because there's no dub. The only question is which version it is. I'm assuming they would have titled it Crimson, like the Japanese release, if it were the remake, unless they want to be sneaky Wink

EDIT: Scratch that buy. Just thought to click the link, and they are being sneaky. It's Polyphonica Crimson, a different show that looked far less interesting.

Last edited by pparker on Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited over the YUA Season 2. However, I hate the fact that Sentai got it because they never produce dubbed anime. I was kind of hoping for a Bandai release.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Ageed. I don't think it's fair to charge the same price other companies do when the other companies give us dub options.

Same price? Aside from Sgt. Frog, all of FUNi's 13-episode sets are $60 MSRP (sometimes $50 MSRP, but that's usually only for long series like One Piece, and Sgt. Frog's sets are surprisingly only $40 MSRP). Sentai's sets are $40 MSRP, so the price is generally lower.

Now Bandai's release of Hayate, now THAT'S a whole different story.

Anyway, only title I'll intersted in and will definitely be buying is Tears to Tiara, which I'm thrilled has been licensed (so glad fantasy anime seems to be getting more frequent in Japan, hopefully Guin Saga will be licensed soon). So Clannad AS, Ghost Hound, and Tears to Tiara, Sentai definitely has some strong titles coming I will definitely pick up. Smile

einhorn303 wins for the Simpsons reference. Smile
Dop.L

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:28 pm Reply with quote
BLUE DROP! I am so buying that. I never believed that would ever get licensed.

Yeah, yeah, subs. I don't care. The market won't support expensive dubs for everything. Blame the economy. Whatever.
Meanwhile, I get a complete series with subtitles for $39.98 where before i had to pay nearly that for four or five episodes of something.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:30 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:

[rant] And I suppose I'll have to put up with those idiotic new "stack" boxes that take up more room, use more resources, make it harder to get discs out, take longer to get the disc you want, virtually force you to leave the discs out and unprotected as you marathon through the series, and allow for damaging discs far more easily.

I believe those are only for the cheap re-releases, and not new shows.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:31 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
pparker wrote:

[rant] And I suppose I'll have to put up with those idiotic new "stack" boxes that take up more room, use more resources, make it harder to get discs out, take longer to get the disc you want, virtually force you to leave the discs out and unprotected as you marathon through the series, and allow for damaging discs far more easily.

I believe those are only for the cheap re-releases, and not new shows.

You would be correct.
Labbes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:34 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Same price? Aside from Sgt. Frog, all of FUNi's 13-episode sets are $60 MSRP (sometimes $50 MSRP, but that's usually only for long series like One Piece, and Sgt. Frog's sets are surprisingly only $40 MSRP). Sentai's sets are $40 MSRP, so the price is generally lower.

The MSRP for the first Ghost Hound set is 60$...

Anyway, hurray for more licenses, even if there isn't a single show I have seen or even want to see.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12