• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Blue Drop, Polyphonica, Special A

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:56 pm Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
good - new titles coming to US

bad - no dubbing, minimum packaging, from value point of view, not much incentive to buy when there are fansubs...

My thoughts exactly.

One of the strongest cases I can make for a new series when it's licensed is, "I can it dubbed!! Anime hyper" If one has seen it beforehand via fansubs or whatnot, then they can still enjoy a new experience with the English presentation. This trend is really starting to trouble me. Crying or Very sad
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Ditto on that. I'm not liking it at all either, because I like to have a choice. I'm one who will regularly rewatch stuff multiple times and when I do that I like to change it up and watch it in the opposite format which I watched last. IE: if I'd seen the series fansubbed first, I'd watch the dub when I got the DVD and popped it in or vice versa. This sub only crap takes all my fun away. Also sometimes I just find the Japanese voice for a certain character extremely grating or annoying and it's good to have an alternate audio track to choose from.
alielle3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I buy...most Anime. Seriously, so long as it is dubbed and rated at least 6/10 I'll probably pick it up. No dub, it has to be like a 9/10. A lack of English means the story REALLY has to stand out and be irreplaceably amazing to warrant money. I have purchased a few Sub-only DVDs series, but there is a constant nagging in my head of 'Why isn't this in English?!'

Super Gals, Card Captor Sakura, Clannad, .hack Trilogy (actually not worth buying in the end), Millennium Actress, and I plan on getting Gakuen Alice as well. These shows are amazing so I’ll take what I can get. I have well over 300 series/movies and at most 20% of them I would have purchased with a lack of English.

Are any of these shows good enough to off-set the lack of Dub?
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Bara_Megami wrote:
And also really, really shady to see them turning it out so soon.

How so? If a company is able to negotiate a license quickly (not unheard of for it to happen while the show's still airing on Japanese TV), isn't doing a dub and doesn't have that much else to work on at the time, there's no reason a DVD release can't happen relatively quickly.

TJ_Kat wrote:
also, on the business sense of going sub-only, while yes, it may be the most profitable short term solution, i think it's a dead end in the long run. the goal of any business is to make as much money as possible, and you do that by increasing the size of your market. however, going completley sub-only does just the opposite. i'm having a tough time figuring out exactly how cutting your market in half (okay, so i just randomly pulled that out, but it can't be too far off the mark) encourages long term profitability. unless neo-adv has thrown in the towel and decided to stay small-time forever, they've got to start dubbing something.

Here's the thing: for a lot of these titles, it isn't a choice between making a profit sub-only and making a smaller profit with a dub, it's a choice between making a profit sub-only and making a loss with a dub. Certainly reducing the size of your paying audience doesn't do wonders for maximising long-term profitability, but overextending yourself to attract as many people as possible can mean spending more money than you're making, and you need to survive in the short term before you can worry about maximising long term profitability.

The smart thing to do here is to stay sub-only with smaller titles for a while and build yourself back up a bit to the point where you can realistically afford the licensing and dubbing costs of more popular titles. I don't expect Neo ADV to remain a purely sub-only company forever; they always struck me as the sort of people that do believe in dubbing everything they can. It'll just take a little while before they can do any again, and they might not be as... optimistic about it as they once were.

Macron One wrote:
It may be tempting to think that for example Victorian Romance Emma has great untapped potential in the form of period drama fans, but the reality is this group of people is highly unlikely to try out what they would wrongly consider to be a "children's cartoon series". Like it or not, the vast majority of people will instantly dismiss sophisticated, complex anime series simply on the basis of it being "a cartoon".

To expand on this a little, there are a fair few people who like the works of Jane Austen. Recently, Marvel did a comic book adaptation of Pride and Prejudice. Those who think that Victorian Romance Emma would be a huge hit amongst fans of period dramas if only it were dubbed would likely also expect Marvel's Pride and Prejudice to be a huge hit amongst Jane Austen fans. But while a handful of them have picked it up, it's only a small fraction of them. Most just aren't interested in comics. And that's with an apparently faithful adaptation of something they already like; Victorian Romance Emma would face a much more uphill battle to convince period drama fans that it'll be worth their while, even if it were dubbed.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:05 am Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Nevermind, I'm buying Polyphonica. This scene alone makes this the best anime ever. Move over, Riki-Oh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7fDTd4tWrE

Wrong series, but I can understand the confusion since "Polyphonica" is listed in the article instead of "Polyphonica Crimson S." Okay, technically they're "Shinkyoku Sōkai Polyphonica" and " Shinkyoku Sōkai Polyphonica crimson S." Both names are so long and hard to remember that they both tend to get called Polyphonica, which of course causes confusion.

Regardless, the series licensed is the more recent one (as evidenced by the link) and is a prequel to the older one which is in the youtube clip. Many of the characters are the same, but the nature of the stories is quite different, as is the art quality. The new series looks much better and focuses more on the serious stuff (it even has an overriding story arc for the season). The older series definitely looks more dated and is generally episodic with a more comedic bent (though it still has serious stuff).
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:13 am Reply with quote
While I admit that I'm quite disappointed that Special A won't be getting a dub (being a Gonzo title, I fully expected Funimation to pick it up one of these days), I'm still quite happy that we're going to get it, and I was practically floored that Polyphonica was licensed. I really liked it, but it's far from the best series ever, and I didn't expect that it had any real chance of getting licensed. It's a niche title from the tips of its toes to the tips of its wings, and it's definitely a case where a dub would never have been profitable. We're lucky to get it at all. This is great news indeed.

As for the other titles, I haven't seen them at all, so I can't comment, but anything to keep the reborn ADV alive is a good thing in my book. Yes, Sentai is a sub-only shop right now, but it probably won't stay that way forever. Remember that one of the new companies (I believe it was Seraphim) bought the dub studio portion of ADV. I've got to believe that they intend to start dubbing again once they're in good enough shape financially to do it, and they license a show that would be profitable enough to be worth dubbing. If we ever want to see Sentai dubbing anime, we need to support what they release sub-only, or they'll never have the resources to dub anything.

In any case, this announcement is fantastic news. It's certainly the licensing announcement that's surprised me the most in a long time - perhaps ever.
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:14 am Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
Regardless, the series licensed is the more recent one (as evidenced by the link)

Sentai should clarify the Polyphonica announcement. There's not even an original air date included anywhere. But this is the link from the article:

anime#7479

That link goes to the 2007 version, Shinkyoku Soukai Polyphonica, not to Crimson S. Look at the ANN page for the original Polyphonica. That's where this article is listed under "In the news", not on the Crimson S page. I don't find a web site for Sentai, and every other reference to this announcement just leads back to ANN.

Just re-re-re-re-clarifying this point (since I made the original mistake in saying it was Crimson S).
Shale

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:25 am Reply with quote
The ANN website automatically turns anime names into an encyclopedia link, using its own best judgment about which show they're actually talking about. I wouldn't take that link as gospel truth of any sort.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:36 am Reply with quote
Shale says:
Quote:
The ANN website automatically turns anime names into an encyclopedia link, using its own best judgment about which show they're actually talking about. I wouldn't take that link as gospel truth of any sort.

Well, that's their decision for whatever reason. After all, the staff that does this runs/helps run the site.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one that seems to see that the announcement says that they will release it but it never says that they licensed it nor does it say that Sentia Filmworks is the licensor at the bottom of the page to any of those shows. I mean if you got to any of the new shows to be releases and scroll down it doesn't even have the category for the english version.
I don't know what it means and it could also mean that ANN still hasn't updated it's pages yet but it's still a factor I would like to discuss.
Note: I didn't ready this whole thread yet, so forgive me if this is a question that was already brought up.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:57 am Reply with quote
That's a complete non-issue. Of course they'll have licensed the shows if they're releasing them. It is merely that ANN's encyclopaedia is not kept up-to-the-minute.
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:18 am Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
icepick314 wrote:
from value point of view, not much incentive to buy when there are fansubs...

The only incentive I need is "This is a legal and legitimate release that supports the show's creators."

But if that's your only incentive, why not buy the import version? It will undoubtedly get more money to the creators than a release bought on cheaper than dirt licensing.

I'll probably buy it myself out of a desire to have it on my shelf or something, but.. it's really silly to do that considering Sentai stuff doesn't have any extras at all.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
That's a complete non-issue. Of course they'll have licensed the shows if they're releasing them. It is merely that ANN's encyclopaedia is not kept up-to-the-minute.

And considering Sentai doesn't do distribution, only licensing, it wouldn't make any sense for them to announce a title they don't have the license to. All their distribution is done by Section 23.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
But if that's your only incentive, why not buy the import version? It will undoubtedly get more money to the creators than a release bought on cheaper than dirt licensing.

For the amount of money I'd spend on a full season of an R1 release, I'd get a single disc containing two episodes of an R2 release. More money may get to the creator for a particular show, but I wouldn't be able to buy very many shows at all. Besides, I can't quite bring myself to spend a lot of money on a DVD that isn't translated at all.

Xanas wrote:
it's really silly to do that considering Sentai stuff doesn't have any extras at all.

To me, extras are just that: extras. I buy DVDs for the shows that are on them. Extras are very nice to have, and make the difference between a merely good DVD release and an excellent one, but I find them in no way essential.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
ADVNation wrote:
To use your words, Mario stop sipping the haterade - It's rendering you incapable of sticking on topic or to debate with facts. Laughing Obviously a last resort of the defeated in trying to characterize someone as you constantly do, instead of offering civilized perspectives.

I choose to ignore Fanboys because I know how they can be this includes you.... But I have no idea what you just said and what you are referring to....... Don't spew the word facts at me when I know what the facts are, Your a fanboy and your just doing what fanboys do.
Listening to you rant is very irrelavant. You sound as if you don't in anyway have one decent argument to support dub-only fans.

I'm afraid your a little late in this game. Things have drastically changed in the past two years 2007-2009. The days of everything being dubbed is on hold. Ever since fansubbing got out of hand,piracy illegal downloading i.e. R1 labels don't have time and money to waste on dubbing titles that won't sell big. Mind you ADV/ SX23 isn't the only company not dubbing anything. Neither is Bandai,Rightstuf,Media Blasters. You don't sound like you support the industry at all, noir do you realize that vulnerability the R1 market has. The reason why Funimation dubs everything is because they have the most money but don't you realize that Funi could be caught up in a simluar situation? They're not Superman!

You want Clannad,Sepcial A and other titles SX23/ADV licenses to be dubbed? Support them by buying thier subbed only releases. By stopping illegal fansubs(watching and downloading titles that have been licensed already) support streaming. If these subbed only releases can generate enough return and profits(much like SEGASammy is hoping thier Ringwide and Ringedge boards can produce enough returns to launch a console out of Ringedge) then maybe you'll see Sentai re-releases get dubbed by SX23/Sephrim.

It sounds like your the fanboy not ADVNation. He supports the industry and other R1 labels like Funimation. He's been an otaku long enough to understand that R1 labels can't always dub everything. So have I.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12