• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Blue Drop, Polyphonica, Special A

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psychopuppet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:36 pm Reply with quote
More Anime always a good thing. As always I am paying for a foreign show not the language tracks that were added later. So the price is not a deal breaker for me. Dubs by me at least are viewed as a extra if its there its there if not its not. Oh and before anyone gets their panties in a bunch I am primarily a dub fan ,but as a Anime fan I understand some shows just are not worth dubbing If they were Funimation would have licensed them already. Razz If I was not a Anime fan I'd be pissed about no dubs cause after all its about the show not the dub. It's a shame that no matter what hobby a person is into they find these "FANS" that only care about themselves.

You know my real concern with them not dubbing as of now is certain companies can get away with sub-standard assembly line dubs because the "FANS" are being blinded by the fact they are getting a dub. To me I'd rather read then get a dub where it was just rushed out with little to no love. That is just me criticize me if you want I personally don't care as I choose to adapt then roll around on the ground crying.

Last edited by psychopuppet on Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
The MSRP for the first Ghost Hound set is 60$...

I've heard so many good things about GH that I'm okay with that price. Naturally, not everyone might feel that way. Still, more reasonable than Bandai releasing $40 singles of Hayate that only have 7 episodes each (which is nonsensical, their sub-only "straight-to-complete boxset" releases of Sola and True Tears are much more reasonably priced than Hayate).

But anyway, Ghost Hound is pretty much the only exception to this in terms of Sentai's releases.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Wait. This company is announcing 3 licenses a day after they *shut down* and you people are complaining about a dub? As if these titles wouldn't go to MB and Nozomi and be released dubless if they ever got a release anyway? These aren't even Funi B caliber shows.

Usually I dislike lack of a dub but I think that once Sentai can afford it we will start seeing dubs..
I for one can deal with sub only for a while if it's going to help them. Even though I really wanted a Ghost Hound dub and I do agree that it's overpriced. It's nowhere near Bandai though.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:03 pm Reply with quote
If only it was Crimson S... Crying or Very sad

So close... Crying or Very sad Crimson S had a better animation, ED song, ED animation and a better story imo.

Tears to Tiara looks interesting so it's on my list as well as Sugar and prob YUA Season 2.

Last edited by hikaru004 on Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
Tratious

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:04 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

Same price? Aside from Sgt. Frog, all of FUNi's 13-episode sets are $60 MSRP (sometimes $50 MSRP, but that's usually only for long series like One Piece, and Sgt. Frog's sets are surprisingly only $40 MSRP). Sentai's sets are $40 MSRP, so the price is generally lower.

I always buy my funi anime at 19.99-32.99 ( and this is usually at Best Buy OR TSRI)
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:09 pm Reply with quote
So....... There still at it huh.... Special A = GONZO = FUNimation..... What the hell Happened? I ran into a brick hall there. Oh Well I wanted to see Special A on DVD but i guess i'll watch the Fansubs. Free>>>>Paying for Fansubs on Discs....

I really thought only FUNimation could get GONZO titles these days. That means Viz is gonna get Rosario+Vampire.... I am willing to bet my big toe on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Tratious wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:

Same price? Aside from Sgt. Frog, all of FUNi's 13-episode sets are $60 MSRP (sometimes $50 MSRP, but that's usually only for long series like One Piece, and Sgt. Frog's sets are surprisingly only $40 MSRP). Sentai's sets are $40 MSRP, so the price is generally lower.

I always buy my funi anime at 19.99-32.99 ( and this is usually at Best Buy OR TSRI)

Key word I used was "MSRP".
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
That means Viz is gonna get Rosario+Vampire.... I am willing to bet my big toe on it.

I don't care who gets Rosario + Vampire as long as it comes out soon! Dubbed would be very nice, too.
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, I never expected Special A to get licensed, nevermind a dub, so I'll probably check that out. I've heard good things about Tears to Tiara and I didn't expect it to get licensed so quickly so maybe that one. I'll have to investigate further about Blue Drop, and Polyphonica is automatically a no for me.
_V_

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:36 pm Reply with quote
so who is the "heir" of ADV, Sentai or Section 23?
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:36 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
I'm tired of every yuri title going dubless on DVD. Seriously, if this is the new ADV I hope Funimation gobbles up their market share.

Truth. ~_~ Really starting to tick me off. Also bad news for YUA, Polyphonica, and Special A...Sigh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:43 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
so who is the "heir" of ADV, Sentai or Section 23?

Section23, technically. As that's who Robert of RACS had to get the info from, RSI retailer info on the ADV DVDs and also the company I got the press release from today. But like the story says yesterday, different ADV operations are now separated and now perhaps operating independently - who knows.

Sentai Filmworks will continue as it has been for the last year, a separate licensing company that acts on its own and whose actual backers are still a mystery.

Last edited by SXAniMedia on Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:47 pm Reply with quote
So ADVNation...will you be changing your nic to Section23Nation? Wink
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
bad - no dubbing, minimum packaging, from value point of view, not much incentive to buy when there are fansubs...

I don't believe Blue Drop was ever completed by a fansubbing team in English (I only ever found the first few episodes). I'm one of those rare straight gals who's a fan of yuri, and I'd definitely give it a rent, so I'm happy to see it released.

And now I'm going to leave this channel for good because I'm really sick of the indignant dub-loving whiners that gather any time there's a sub-only release...
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
So ADVNation...will you be changing your nic to Section23Nation? Wink

That was the question of the day posed to me yesterday all over. Laughing

Not sure yet, I might stick with this one for sentimentality, as an Anime fan for like 15 or so years... it's hard just to change gears on a whim - cycles come and go; but on the other hand it's not really topical either.

ADV should come back if only to make life easier for me. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12