• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Alternative Couples Sure to Touch Your Heart

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sainta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I am sorry but I fail to understand how some characters got on this list

Kaworu Nagisa is not even part of eva for 20 minutes also he is not know to be gay and shinji is a lot of things but I highly doubt he is. just because fans like ship something does not make it true, and if you were going to do something like that atleast doing something with a series that feeds that idea like hetalia (germany x italy anyone)

If you haven't read any of the Evangelion mangas (Sadamoto's included), Kaworu made a big impact to the franchise and his relationship with Shinji is the focus of several chapters (In Sadamoto's manga Kaworu goes one step further to increase the shipping...)
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
SereneChaos wrote:
I voted for a robotics club since I'm already in one. Very Happy They're not as uncommon as you'd think. Counting all age groups (4th to 12th grade) there are about 30,000 teams, the vast majority of which are in the US.

Lucky! My school didn't have anything of that sort.

The one I'm in started just last year thanks to a very large donation by a local company. They take a lot of work and money to start and keep up, but it's definitely worth it.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Also, my preferred CLAMP "alternative" couple is Subaru Sumeragi and Seishirō Sakurazuka.

There are more than a few problems with that relationship, with some significant family issues being quite prominent among them...
fencer_x

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Not sure how this list managed to miss Nezumi and Shion of 'No.6', seeing as they kiss on two separate occasions, are shown to have deep feelings for one another on multiple levels, and all of this without being 'BL' or 'yaoi' or 'shounen ai' or anything, just standard dystopian emotional fare. More non-heterosexual couples should be treated that way instead of being othered into BL or bara or yuri or something.
Kosaka

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm not familiar with all the couples; I definitely agree with Haruka and Michiru. I don't claim to have picked up everything in Utena, but I never thought of Yuri and Shiori as a couple. I never had the sense that Shiori wanted to be a couple with Yuri. After Shiori found out that Yuri had romantic feelings for her, I thought Shiori only wanted to hurt or manipulate Yuri.
kaydub

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Aw man, I want to join the Light Music Club AND the Robotics Club!
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Quote:
per-say

Also, my preferred CLAMP "alternative" couple is Subaru Sumeragi and Seishirō Sakurazuka.

OH THE HUMANITY!!! DDD:

Though I'd go for RG Veda's Asura and Yasha-oo. The ending to that series had me despairing everything I liked about it, but that itself made an impact on me. Anime hyper
Or Kurogane and Fai. Whether or not it's "love"... I am at least sure that CLAMP put those subtle hints in there on purpose, if only to be ambiguous. I like their development in the series since it ends up going both ways on separate occasions.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Kosaka wrote:
I'm not familiar with all the couples; I definitely agree with Haruka and Michiru. I don't claim to have picked up everything in Utena, but I never thought of Yuri and Shiori as a couple. I never had the sense that Shiori wanted to be a couple with Yuri. After Shiori found out that Yuri had romantic feelings for her, I thought Shiori only wanted to hurt or manipulate Yuri.

That's a pretty accurate account of the relationship. I still found it particularly moving in its accuracy of one-sided love or unhealthy relationships. Ever loved somebody despite their faults even though they were bad for you? I thought it was a pretty accurate depiction of what that's like.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote
*reads list*

What is this, baby's first LGBT relationships? This is seriously weak.

Edit: And may I point out that two of your three lesbian relationships are not even remotely heartwarming?
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit confused on the use of "alternative". To me it implies, relationships that go against conservative norms but I just want to make sure. Do you mean minor official couples in a show? Favorite shipping among fans? Actual incest/homosexual/transgender couples? Or all of the above?
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, the Juri and Shiori relationship sure did touch my heart.
Touched it with a knife and opened some wounds, like every other unrequited love story I encounter that isn't terrible.

I still want a Wandering Son blu-ray on my shelf; I love that show so much.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
*reads list*

What is this, baby's first LGBT relationships? This is seriously weak.

Edit: And may I point out that two of your three lesbian relationships are not even remotely heartwarming?

Don't be a dick. I know you think nothing is subjective and we're living in FENCEDUDE'S WORLD but if you're a dick about this again I'm seriously going to kick you out of here for a good long time.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Lets go through this point by point:

8. Koshiro Saeki and Nanoka Kohinata

Ok, they're definitely "alternative", but by "touching your heart" well...the show makes you feel for them, but at no point are you supposed to actually support their relationship. Its a tragedy, and thats the point.

7. Kaworu Nagisa and Shinji Ikari

The safest yaoi-ship available. I support it, but at the moment it doesn't really fit the "touch your heart" aspect, since its over before it even begins. The Rebuild movies may change this, however

6. Touya and Yukito

Not bad, the fact that Yuikito is spoiler[a genderless magic creature...thing] sorta makes it uhh...yeah. CLAMP!

5. George and Yukari

I haven't watched this, but eargh, "George's bisexuality, a fact that is more prominent in Ai Yazawa's manga, is a non-issue" Well yeah, he ends up with the woman. I don't think "Bi male and straight female getting together" is particularly alternative.

4. Juri and Shiori

Oh god no. This is a horrible relationship. Shiori is a terrible, terrible person. It touches my heart alright, right in the part that wants Juri to punch Shiori in the face. THIS is the lesbian relationship from Utena you choose? THIS ONE?! NOT THE ONE INVOLVING THE TITLE [expletive] CHARACTER!?

3. Haruka and Michiru

No complaints here! Great choice.

2. Yasuko Sugimoto and Fumi Manjome

Ugh no. Yasuko, while not Shiori levels of horrible, is pretty bad to Fumi by the end, and the relationship ends up being bad for both parties involved. Ugh.

1. Shuichi and Yoshino

First of all, they aren't a couple. Second of all, this line: "He isn't gay, per-say, initially attracted to tomboyish Yoshino." really peeves me off. Shuichi IS gay. He's a MtF lesbian! Eargh.

So many omissions. Just speaking from the lesbian side of things:

Takamachi Nanoha and Fate Testarossa
Himemiya Chikane and Kurusugawa Himeko
Senkouji Hagino and Waketake Mari
Kaname Madoka and Akemi Homura
Miki Sayaka and Sakura Kyouko
Natsuki Kruger and Shizuru Viola
Mireille Bouquet and Yumura Kirika
Jenny Dolittle and Lynn Lambretta
Margot Knight and Malga Naruze

And I could go on and on.

Last edited by Fencedude5609 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:01 pm Reply with quote
yeah, so what?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Don't be a dick. I know you think nothing is subjective and we're living in FENCEDUDE'S WORLD but if you're a dick about this again I'm seriously going to kick you out of here for a good long time.

I have now explained my objections, at length. Ok?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8