• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Alternative Couples Sure to Touch Your Heart

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:55 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

You don't seem like a completely stupid person so what is it? Is your reading comprehension really awful? What is it, Fencedude?

I actually had a rather nice discussion with Lynzee about the one of those couples I was not familiar with, and changed my opinion on it.

I still think the list's theme is muddled (and I'm not the only one who has voiced such an objection in this thread), but the concept was interesting enough.

As for the lesbian stuff, I'm more versed in lesbian couples than gay male couples (for obvious reasons), but I could come up with a decent list there if I were to put some more time reaching into my memory. Not to mention that I praised the inclusion of Yukito/Touya and Shinji/Kaworu, while two of my largest objections were to two of the three lesbian couples listed.

If you have objections to my objections, I'd like to see you actually address them, instead of just blithely insulting me, which is what you keep accusing me of doing.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:14 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Zac wrote:

You don't seem like a completely stupid person so what is it? Is your reading comprehension really awful? What is it, Fencedude?

I actually had a rather nice discussion with Lynzee about the one of those couples I was not familiar with, and changed my opinion on it.

I still think the list's theme is muddled (and I'm not the only one who has voiced such an objection in this thread), but the concept was interesting enough.

As for the lesbian stuff, I'm more versed in lesbian couples than gay male couples (for obvious reasons), but I could come up with a decent list there if I were to put some more time reaching into my memory. Not to mention that I praised the inclusion of Yukito/Touya and Shinji/Kaworu, while two of my largest objections were to two of the three lesbian couples listed.

If you have objections to my objections, I'd like to see you actually address them, instead of just blithely insulting me, which is what you keep accusing me of doing.

I have objections to your objections because you *start* by being a complete ass and then people have to talk you down to reasonable. You suddenly stopped behaving like an animal once someone spoke to you like you're a human being.

That's my problem. You're a huge ass, and I get hundreds of complaints about your behavior, and then you settle down once anyone engages you while ignoring your obnoxious, obviously meant-to-be-insulting tone. Have you considered *not* starting your argument with shock tactics? Ever?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:22 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Have you considered *not* starting your argument with shock tactics? Ever?

My first comment was perhaps a bit more impolitic than necessary, though nothing compared to the reactions of some people elsewhere.

I then proceeded to address the actual meat of the article, laying out my objections and thoughts on the matter. I'd be delighted to discuss them further, with you, Lynzee or anyone else who'd like to weigh in.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:29 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Zac wrote:

My first comment was perhaps a bit more impolitic than necessary, though nothing compared to the reactions of some people elsewhere.

I then proceeded to address the actual meat of the article, laying out my objections and thoughts on the matter. I'd be delighted to discuss them further, with you, Lynzee or anyone else who'd like to weigh in.
Discussion is a 2 way street. People are just tired of you taking possession of that public street and turning it into your private drive to your private property, shotting your gun over the heads of anyone who you think is trespassing.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:31 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Discussion is a 2 way street. People are just tired of you taking possession of that public street and turning it into your private drive to your private property.

I don't see how I'm preventing anyone from expressing their opinion, or countering my own.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:33 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Zac wrote:

I don't care what people "elsewhere" think and your behavior here is not the fault of anyone but you.

If you can't even take basic adult responsibility for your insulting, mean-spirited behavior - literally trying to justify it with "people on 4chan (or whatever) were meaner about it!" - then you seriously need to grow up.

As someone who is responsible for policing this forum and ejecting problem users who make the community worse for everyone around them, I've had enough.

Man up, take responsibility for your behavior and stop with the shock tactics.

Behave like an adult. I assume you are one.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:34 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Discussion is a 2 way street. People are just tired of you taking possession of that public street and turning it into your private drive to your private property.

I don't see how I'm preventing anyone from expressing their opinion, or countering my own.
yes we all can see that you don't see. That's the problem you see.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:41 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
If you can't even take basic adult responsibility for your insulting, mean-spirited behavior - literally trying to justify it with "people on 4chan (or whatever) were meaner about it!" - then you seriously need to grow up.

Heyheyhey, not all of 4chan are angry bastards now......
ChiisaiObake

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:59 am Reply with quote
What's up. I'm a lesbian who's dating a trans girl and I liked this list and am not sure why everyone is arguing.

Yeah the pronouns and stuff in the part about Hourou Musuko were wrong but I'm just glad you included it because that show is the shit.

Rock on, man.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:26 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Zac wrote:

Heyheyhey, not all of 4chan are angry bastards now......

no some of us are just cynical b**** that like to have fun in threads... oh wait that's me lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kelly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Or Kurogane and Fai. Whether or not it's "love"... I am at least sure that CLAMP put those subtle hints in there on purpose, if only to be ambiguous. I like their development in the series since it ends up going both ways on separate occasions.

After everything they do for eachother throughout the course of the series, I felt it was pretty clear how they feel about eachother even though neither ever uses the "L" word, although Kurogane comes somewhat close in his private discussion with Tomoyo when spoiler[he talks about refusing to lose someone else precious to him in what is an obvious reference to Fai]. They went through so much together that it's fairly impossible to imagine either ending up with anyone else post-series.

As for Subaru and Seishiro - no. Just, no. Anyone who ships them is, in my humble opinion, missing the whole point. Hello. Seishiro is evil incarnate, and it's an utter tragedy that he ever entered Subaru's life.
MistressLegato

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:31 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Quote:
per-say

Per se, a Latin term meaning "in itself".

Also, my preferred CLAMP "alternative" couple is Subaru Sumeragi and Seishirō Sakurazuka.

ALL MY HNNNNG! <3 Totally agreed.
sainta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote
What about the two "couples" from GetBackers? The two leads Ban and Ginji is somewhat ambiguous in the manga, but are Kazuki and Jubei the most obvious ones (Although Kazuki's gender is even more confusing than Hunter x Hunter's Kurapica due to his clothing)

Last edited by sainta on Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
musouka

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Vata Raven wrote:

And Shinji was meant to be gay from the beginning, but the maker was forced to change it because no one (seeing the show was aimed for guys) wanted to watch a series with a lead guy acting like some love stuck "girl" over some guy...which...I'm not sure how a lead being gay can effect the story...it really doesn't, unless it's a romance anime.

Do you have a source on this? I've seen it batted around before, but no one has been able to provide me with actual supporting evidence.

Here.

If you're suspicious of the source, here's the documentation of where this material is supposedly coming from.

As for the rest of it, while I don't agree entirely with the list in question, I don't think it needs ten or so yuri pairings to even it out--one of them from a crappy show and predicated on spoiler["I rape you because I caaare!"]
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Haruka and Michiru will always be my OTP. <3

Ryu Shoji wrote:
How the hell has "Wandering Son" NOT been licensed?

Because it's a niche title
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8