• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 2ch Forum's Anime Saimoe Tournament 2012 Quarter Finals

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:09 pm Reply with quote
limit to two characters means many main characters will probably not make it. Like no Madoka, Haruhi, Saki ..
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:09 pm Reply with quote
This thread has taught me that Moe polls are SRS BSNSS.

But yeah, Saki needs to GTFO.
NeverSleep

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
NeverSleep wrote:

But not having a limit to the numbers of characters of one show is proving out to be the wrong choice, there are some characters from Saki participating that I didn't even know someone cared about or never seen someone at all claiming their love for them, like Toki, it's kinda like the series title alone is carrying them, and this shouldn't happen...

Uhh...you are aware that Toki is easily the most popular character participating on Side A, right?

Thats pretty surprising since her design looks like a generic background character

Even more surprising because this is probably with the anime fandom, with whom I have no idea what are the trends. Manga readers pretty much despise Achiga-hen because of the recent main series chapters... Teru moe-moe side caused much more of a stir than Toki would ever hope to.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
NeverSleep wrote:

Even more surprising because this is probably with the anime fandom, with whom I have no idea what are the trends. Manga readers pretty much despise Achiga-hen because of the recent main series chapters... Teru moe-moe side caused much more of a stir than Toki would ever hope to.

That doesn't even make any sense.
TnAdct1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote
In response to a couple of issues:

On the two character limit: That's not going to work, as a number of shows have a number of main characters. Heck, look at the show that Saki beat in terms of the number of characters in the opening round, Negima. When Negima originally got that record in 2005, the contenders consisted of, along with some other characters, all 31 of Negi's students.

On the US/International Saimoe being the worst: Keep in mind that International Saimoe doesn't follow the same structure as regular Saimoe (i.e. it's not restricted to only shows that came out that year). That is what really needed for an international Saimoe to really work: it actually limits the contenders to titles that came out in Japan during a certain period (with "regular" contenders needing to be from a title that came out that year to be eligible for the tournament).
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
TnAdct1 wrote:

On the US/International Saimoe being the worst: Keep in mind that International Saimoe doesn't follow the same structure as regular Saimoe (i.e. it's not restricted to only shows that came out that year). That is what really needed for an international Saimoe to really work: it actually limits the contenders to titles that came out in Japan during a certain period (with "regular" contenders needing to be from a title that came out that year to be eligible for the tournament).

that works. but you know. It's still hard because some people have their own agenda. Some people only want to vote for the jp tournament because they don't want some characters to win in Japan. They really don't care about the the International Saimoe.

Some want to have old anime no matter what because they want everybody to watch the same thing as them.
basically, you will just as much complain as the jp tournament. This is just internet.
Team Rocket Elite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
TnAdct1 wrote:

International Saimoe is already split into two division, one for older characters and one for characters from the last two years or so. If you aren't interested in older characters, you can stick to looking at the newcomer division. There is a combined final at the end and the newcomers were completely smacking the older characters around in the combined finals.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:09 pm Reply with quote
And so Shana's run comes to an end... at least until that new side story comes out. If anything Saki has easily broken the records set by the Madoka cast last year, which I'm sure many thought were going to be around for at least a few years. Whether Madoka can come back and try to match it next year or the year after remains to be seen. Seeing as no series has ever won a saimoe title more than once that still is the most interesting feat to date (with Rozen Maiden and Nanoha being the closest in 2005 and 2006).

On another note, while I'm left with 1 favorite in this contest (Toki), Nodoka has shown to be quite the challenger. Whether she will go 3 for 3 in being stopped dead in semifinals will be interesting to see regardless. Kuro is clearly still a threat being backed not only by seiyuu HanaKana but also showing that she has been no pushover. Granted that her matchups have been far less competitive than Toki's, I wouldn't count that Kuro's run is over just yet.

Now the REAL question is will "Saki" take over the crown or will it get stopped yet again in the semifinals (i.e. both Achiga advance) and continue to be haunted by this for 3 times straight.

If Hisa wins, then this year becomes worse than 2008.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I think the main problem is that you start with 289 combatants.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:34 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, Hisa actually won. That's awesome. I wish Yuu had toppled Kuro though. But I guess Kana Hanazawa was just too much. Going for Hisa and Toki but will most likely be Kuro and Toki.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:45 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Oh wow, Hisa actually won. That's awesome. I wish Yuu had toppled Kuro though. But I guess Kana Hanazawa was just too much. Going for Hisa and Toki but will most likely be Kuro and Toki.

We already know how that one turns out.
nargun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:12 am Reply with quote
TnAdct1 wrote:
One of the biggest problems: while it claims that it's technically possible, in truth, Saimoe has been cutting down on the amount of international votes, which actually serve as a way to keep the tournament in check and prevent some shows from being too dominant.

Err, no. What makes some shows dominant is the bracketed multi-stage voting.

Particularly the brackets; imagine that if instead of each seat in the US house of representatives being elected first-past-the-post by the district residents, each of the 435 seats were elected by the entire population, each person voting seperately for each of the seats. The most-popular party would win all the seats, see; if you've got a show/party that has even a slight edge in popularity it'll be utterly dominant.

[and you go through this process again with each stage, washing out everything that's even slightly less popular. All tediously predictable.]
zaeris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:38 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

International voting? this is for mostly Japan only. Korean has their own Saimoe type tournament too. US/International has their. It turns out that the US/International one is the worst of them all. They vote for character that's not even moe and/or from very old shows like Cowboy Bebop.

This is one of the reason I dislike seeing international votes in japan's Saimoe comp too, my main reason is I want to see what japan think is moe and not what japan + international think is moe. They don't need international votes to create more abnormalities.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:44 am Reply with quote
TnAdct1 wrote:
With Madoka Magica last year and Saki this year, it's obvious that Saimoe is suffering a major problem of certain titles being too dominant for the tournament's own good (to the point that it's alienating anime fans who don't care about said shows, especially Saki).

I really don't think it's fair to compare Madoka Magica last year and Saki this year. Ignoring the fact that Madoka only had 4 characters in the final (still amazed that Homura got knocked out early, but glad that Mami won), Madoka frankly was a force of nature last year, both in saimoe AND out. I really do think it was that big a deal in Japan. I juist don't see the same being true for Saki. I mean, based on these results I guess it's currently the hot show for otaku in Japan, but I haven't seen any evidence that its on the same level as Madoka.
Zapdos

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:15 am Reply with quote
Saki is already a major force in Saimoe since 2009 even before Madoka appear. In 2009, 4 Saki characters make it to the quarter finals with 2 of them being in semi final. In 2010, 2 Saki characters again also make it to the semi final. Saki did not participate in 2011 tournament.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3