• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Studio SHAFT Streams Prism Nana Anime's Pilot Promo No. 02

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
I'm not talking about writers of manga and light novels, I'm talking about anime scriptwriters and story compositors.

i said on my post that i can't name 5 anime scriptwriters. I can only name manga and LN authors

Gen Urobuchi is LN author. If he is a writer i will watch it for sure. No name writer, get to wait and see.

recent shaft's popular anime are mostly from LN authors or LNs. the script writers don't matter because they are just follow order and rewrite other people's works.

Without good writers they will be still making anime like Dance in the Vampire Bund.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

i said on my post that i can't name 5 anime scriptwriters. I can only name manga and LN authors

Which like I said is irrelevant to this show, since its not based on a manga, LN or VN.

Quote:
Gen Urobuchi is LN author. If he is a writer i will watch it for sure. No name writer, get to wait and see.

I can guarantee he's not writing this show.

Quote:
recent shaft's popular anime are mostly from LN authors or LNs. the script writers don't matter because they are just follow order and rewrite other people's works.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA. Thats hilarious, and completely untrue.

Quote:
Without good writers they will be still making anime like Dance in the Vampire Bund.

Vampire Bund was pretty decent, so I'm not seeing what your point here is.
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:17 am Reply with quote
Yeah I am just going to put my own fantasy writer here.Yoji Enokido,yeah the simple combination of him and Shaft working on a magical girl show would make my brain come out of the skull and start dancing to indie pop songs.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:16 am Reply with quote
Song is Generic Anime Song #2828733983838, but wow this looks great. I love the artstyle--this show seems to be the "anti-madoka" so to speak.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:54 am Reply with quote
It seems as though people are not only treating Puella Magi Madoka Magica as the ONLY dark Magical Girl story, but are also under the delusion that there's no balance to be struck between light and dark. Princess Tutu? Revolutionary Girl Utena? Sailor Moon?
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
It seems as though people are not only treating Puella Magi Madoka Magica as the ONLY dark Magical Girl story, but are also under the delusion that there's no balance to be struck between light and dark. Princess Tutu? Revolutionary Girl Utena? Sailor Moon?

I don't think anyone who has seen those series really disagrees with you. But Madoka DID do something unique with its particular kind of darkness.

I'm not really going to expect anything from this anime. I'm just going to watch it and see how it goes (though I will inevitably compare it to Madoka, if only because everyone else is as well--not to criticize it, but just to compare styles and figure out where and why both are different, since they will likely be worlds apart). Also, I've recently been getting into recognizing screen writers and episode directors and such. Many are no-name, but there are a few who have caught my eye for their particular kinds of styles (that actually end up standing out in the episodes they are in charge of--Saint Seiya Omega, anyone?).
Myaow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Ohhh this looks so cute and pretty! What awesome art. I can't wait to watch this. I don't care if it's "dark" or "like Madoka" or whatever, I just hope it's as fun as it looks here!
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:49 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:

You know those shows aren't really anything alike, other than being Magical Girl shows.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

You know those shows aren't really anything alike, other than being Magical Girl shows.

Themes of battle and sacrifice, dark abstraction, Fairy Tail symbolism, lesbian imagery...tell me again how they're nothing alike? Yet despite their similarities, each one is wholly distinctive from the other.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:27 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:

Themes of battle and sacrifice, dark abstraction, Fairy Tail symbolism, lesbian imagery...tell me again how they're nothing alike? Yet despite their similarities, each one is wholly distinctive from the other.

They have vague similarities, ones that I could list for any number of shows.

The point is that people who go "Madoka Magica isn't that special because Utena/Tutu/Sailor Moon did it first" are just as annoying as people who claim that Madoka was the first of its kind and changed everything.

Both are stupidly reductive viewpoints.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

They have vague similarities, ones that I could list for any number of shows.

The point is that people who go "Madoka Magica isn't that special because Utena/Tutu/Sailor Moon did it first" are just as annoying as people who claim that Madoka was the first of its kind and changed everything.

Both are stupidly reductive viewpoints.

I'm not saying Madoka's not special. I'm simply frustrated by those who ignore well-written series that came before. I want more people to see a middle ground. Madoka wasn't the first Magical Girl series to venture into darker territory. Not everything before it was excessively, incessantly happy-go-lucky.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:

I'm not saying Madoka's not special. I'm simply frustrated by those who ignore well-written series that came before. I want more people to see a middle ground. Madoka wasn't the first Magical Girl series to venture into darker territory. Not everything before it was excessively, incessantly happy-go-lucky.

I don't think people should have to mention Utena, Sailor Moon and Princess Tutu every single time Madoka Magica comes up.

Guess what? I've seen all of them! I saw them long, long, long before Madoka existed, I own all three of them. There is also the fact that the newest of them, Princess Tutu, is ten years old.

Not to mention that all four shows have very different themes, the stories they are telling are completely different, and the way they tell their stories are different.

Madoka Magica is not the "first" Dark Magical Girl show, but that doesn't mean it didn't do a number of new things, or do certain things better than previous stories of that type.

If you want to do a comparative analysis of the four shows, great, otherwise untwist your knickers and stop acting like anymention of Madoka that doesn't come with a disclaimer about it not being the first of its type is a horrible, horrible crime.

(also Princess Tutu is about Fairytails, and only uses Magical Girl elements as a motif, and Utena barely qualifies as a magical girl show as it is. And you neglected to mention Nanoha)
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

I don't think people should have to mention Utena, Sailor Moon and Princess Tutu every single time Madoka Magica comes up.

Guess what? I've seen all of them! I saw them long, long, long before Madoka existed, I own all three of them. There is also the fact that the newest of them, Princess Tutu, is ten years old.

Not to mention that all four shows have very different themes, the stories they are telling are completely different, and the way they tell their stories are different.

Madoka Magica is not the "first" Dark Magical Girl show, but that doesn't mean it didn't do a number of new things, or do certain things better than previous stories of that type.

If you want to do a comparative analysis of the four shows, great, otherwise untwist your knickers and stop acting like anymention of Madoka that doesn't come with a disclaimer about it not being the first of its type is a horrible, horrible crime.

(also Princess Tutu is about Fairytails, and only uses Magical Girl elements as a motif, and Utena barely qualifies as a magical girl show as it is. And you neglected to mention Nanoha)

Then Neon Genesis Evangelion's not actually about Mecha and Buffy The Vampire Slayer's not actually about vampires. A subgenre's a subgenre; the themes of a story don't make it any less that subgenre. The fact that those are well-rounded series don't make them any less Magical Girl series and you shouldn't attempt to claim such.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:

Then Neon Genesis Evangelion's not actually about Mecha and Buffy The Vampire Slayer's not actually about vampires. A subgenre's a subgenre; the themes of a story don't make it any less that subgenre. The fact that those are well-rounded series don't make them any less Magical Girl series and you shouldn't attempt to claim such.

The point is that, everything else aside, Madoka is unquestionably a Magical Girl show, same with Sailor Moon and Nanoha. They hew closely to the genre conventions, but with their own specific takes on it.

Princess Tutu is significantly further removed from the core concepts of the genre, they're still there, but they are somewhat submerged by its larger thematic goals.

Utena is even further removed from them, only barely qualifying, if only because there is nowhere else to put it.

The point is that you can't just say "these shows did it first" because they didn't. They each did their own things, earlier, but that doesn't discount what Madoka did.

This is why I find both sides of the argument so intensely irritating.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:18 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

The point is that, everything else aside, Madoka is unquestionably a Magical Girl show, same with Sailor Moon and Nanoha. They hew closely to the genre conventions, but with their own specific takes on it.

Princess Tutu is significantly further removed from the core concepts of the genre, they're still there, but they are somewhat submerged by its larger thematic goals.

Utena is even further removed from them, only barely qualifying, if only because there is nowhere else to put it.

The point is that you can't just say "these shows did it first" because they didn't. They each did their own things, earlier, but that doesn't discount what Madoka did.

This is why I find both sides of the argument so intensely irritating.

I'm against a rigid view of what the Magical Girl subgenre should be. It has just as much room for versatility as any other genre or subgenre. And there aren't concepts with a concrete attachment to the magical girl subgenre. The subgenre is such that it has evolved consistently since its inception, and trying to hold it to a rigid standard is foolhardy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3