• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NY Comic Con, NY Anime Fest to Share Same Weekend in 2010

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slickwataris

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. They tried to cram a mini-Anime Central into Chicago Comic Con this year but it didn't turn out so well. You had to ask around to find the anime events and even then they were all after hours.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
It's not Manhattan logistics, though. It's 12th avenue logistics. It's just too far from everything: restaurants, subway stations, hotels, etc.

That's funny, I almost mentioned the walk to Broadway if you stay in mid-town. I wouldn't mind it now, and my friends that live and work in Manhattan laughed at me complaining about it being a hike (me being then from Los Angeles and poor). Of course, I've never done that walk in a Pokemon costume carrying an armload of manga and figurines.

I know what you mean, though. In Manhattan terms, J. Javits is off in nowhere, and that's a complaint a lot of locals voiced as well when it was announced. As a visitor, though, I end up going to lots of different areas that require subway or taxi rides anyway, and empty-handed the walk from mid-town isn't too bad besides the view in some parts, as you say. I find urban landscapes interesting myself.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
That's funny, I almost mentioned the walk to Broadway if you stay in mid-town.

Even the locals think walking 5 avenues (12.5 regular city blocks) to get a decent bite to eat is excessive.

Not to mention that locals avoid Times Square like the plague anyway. Sad
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I got confused on this. I know that NYCC is coming up next year, and I thought that NYAF was gonna be canceled. Don't mind me. So they're going to combine both. That's overkill. The Javits is pretty damn big.

Next year is gonna kill me with the panels. But who knows maybe not.
Sirenlove

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
thanks pedro, all my wildest dreams have come true!
Prodigiosus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I went to NYAF last year and it was good and the crowd wasn't really too bad (although it is true that it's like 50 photo shoots going on at once)

Being a "bridge and tunnel" girl I'm not really worried about hanging out in NYC after, but what does concern me is the insane and horrible parking situation that will occur by combining these two events. Last year the parking was terrible, and I can only imagine 2010 it might be better to haul it on foot than drive in.

But I think for the people selling products/arts, having both events at the same time will be a huge benefit. I wonder if VIP passes will work for both events since they will have separate schedules.
jsieczka

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if the 7 line expansion going right to the con center will be ready for 2010. If it is that should cut down on some of the trasportation issues.
musashi1600

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:38 pm Reply with quote
jsieczka wrote:
I'm not sure if the 7 line expansion going right to the con center will be ready for 2010. If it is that should cut down on some of the trasportation issues.

No, that isn't set to be finished until the end of 2013. One can connect to the subway system via the M34 or M42 buses, both of which stop at Jacob Javits Center.
jsieczka

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:42 pm Reply with quote
musashi1600 wrote:
jsieczka wrote:

No, that isn't set to be finished until the end of 2013. One can connect to the subway system via the M34 or M42 buses, both of which stop at Jacob Javits Center.

I use the 34 and transfer at Penn station.
SamuraiBeatRadio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:44 am Reply with quote
Like earlier posters said, this could be a complete logistics nightmare. The Javitz Center has space, but NYAF can be crowded in its own right. Plus, there are going to be a lot of battles for panel space & time.
cetriya

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:06 am Reply with quote
well, coming from florida that does makes things a lot simpler for me. I've got some family and I have friends so I should be good.

I think i'll do some physical training before then. wont bring anything besides a book, contact info, pen , ID and card (and lots of water)

maybe some food... maybe

though I hope this becomes more of a trend to not seperate the fandoms so much
cetriya

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:08 am Reply with quote
SamuraiBeatRadio wrote:
Plus, there are going to be a lot of battles for panel space & time.
''

I hope signings, portfolios and workshops dont cross over so much.
mrgetalife

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:56 am Reply with quote
I like both. But something's going to suffer. NYCC is packed as it is already. NYAF will bring in at least 5000 more people as i'd say half the crowd already goes to NYCC. I can't see them taking that much more room in the Javits center and manage it. Unless "the whole" javits center is just a marketing term. The Javits is freaking huge and expensive. I can't see putting NYAF into the mix will give them that much capital as all their sponsors are part of NYCC to begin with. Face it NYAF was supposed to be an "industry" con. The Anime industry's been kicked in the nuts hard and hasn't recovered. If you take a look at this year's corporate antendee list its near zero. Even AnimeExpo had this trend from what i've read.

NYCC 2009 was pretty much packed this year with maybe taking 40% of the Javits space another convention took the other %30 and the rest was idle . NYAF only takes %15 of the space. Adding the annoying anime fans. You know the ones into Yaoi/Yuri/Glomp/I'm a Lemming circle activities and it'll just make it for a bad time. Not saying they are the only truely annoying things that go on. But its when its a mindless mob doing the same crap over an over again because they can't be original its bothersome.

And yes it will be a battle for panel times and signings if you are a fan of both. No way around it.
Batman3777

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:11 pm Reply with quote
cetriya wrote:
SamuraiBeatRadio wrote:
Plus, there are going to be a lot of battles for panel space & time.
''

I hope signings, portfolios and workshops don't cross over so much.

I think that one of the advantages for Reed Exhibitions in all of this is that they can now scale down somewhat on panels, signings, etc., etc and still have a jam-packed "mega" con of sorts. So I doubt that there will be too much competition... at least no more than the usual, I would suppose.

This may make me more inclined to go to these events. Usually I am too busy and, well, too monetarily challenged to go, and deciding which one is more worth it was always a bother. Maybe this year it'll be the two-birds-with-one-stone kind of thing.

Edited to reduce stupidity.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Mainstream comics mixed with a mesh of mainstream and niche entertainment this certainly is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3