• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney XD to Add Naruto Shippūden in U.S.

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Great, if not unexpected, news. Given Disney's desire to appeal more to boys (i.e. Toon Disney retooling into Disney X-D, Disney's purchase of Marvel), broadcasting Naruto Shippuden is another good boost to that effort. It only further solidifies CN's movement away from anime, considering Naruto's situation there, though hopefully the remaining dubbed episodes will find there way onto X-D.

Still, the channel is the next logical place to go to (Disney's a little more anime-friendly than either CN or Nick right now) and the deal might work out pretty well for both Viz (exposure for top property) and Disney (more attention to channel, more trust in brand).

[Note: "X-D" only because the letters create an emoticon without the hyphen]

Last edited by Sam Murai on Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
care2care wrote:
Disney + Anime = Epic Fail

Yeah, Ponyo was terrible... Rolling Eyes

Did you forget Disney was the inspiration for Tezuka, the father of manga and anime? I believe Disney did a good job with all of the Miyazaki's film. even Ponyo. I don't think that movie get cut or something like that. I believe Disney had team up with Madhouse Animation to do a Stitch anime.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stitch!

Even if Disney does broadcast Naruto Shippidden. I don't give a damn, you can buy the uncut version on DVD, or Itunes, or off your video game console (Xbox 360, PS3) when they put it up whenever. Geez, Viz may decide to broadcast the uncut version on Youtube, Hulu, or Fancast as a video on demand like how Funimation would do for some of their anime. Don't worry if they broadcast it edited, the uncut will always come out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
I think Disney Anime hyper is a programming block on the Disney channel. I cannot be sure as I don't watch the channel but my niece and nephew do quite a bit.

However even so it's still a horrible idea because it's gonna be edited.
Nightmares of Card Captor Sakura being butcher enter my mind(Yeah I know Disney was not involved with it)

No it's a separate channel.

This will be edited to hell. Usually I would say wait and see but this is Disney.Not POTC/Miramax Disney either. Regular old cable Disney. I'm just going to go by the uncut sets I suppose.
doctordoom85

Nothing screams Disney like a series with significant good guys' deaths (some temporary, some NOT), nukes, blood, demons, the second main character spoiler[deciding mass-murder will solve all his messed-up life/mental issues], and the (YMMV) moral justification of homicide spoiler[referring to Itachi, NOT Pain, just so we're clear]. Rolling Eyes

Did they even LOOK at what the series gets into? Part 1 wasn't as dark as Part 2, but even it should have made Disney take a few steps back and re-think.
Tofusensei

mdo7 wrote:
Tofusensei wrote:
care2care wrote:
Disney + Anime = Epic Fail

Yeah, Ponyo was terrible... Rolling Eyes

Did you forget Disney was the inspiration for Tezuka, the father of manga and anime? I believe Disney did a good job with all of the Miyazaki's film. even Ponyo.

Anyone have an emoticon glossary for this guy? :\
Maruna

Like Naruto Shippuden really has a lot of stuff that needs to be edited? The edits will be minimal at the most, and nothing of value will be lost.

I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner. Naruto Shippuden's theme of "Friendship" is so in-your-face, Disney is a perfect fit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:39 pm Reply with quote
disney Anime hyper <- lol @ smiley. im going to call it disney WAHH! from now on

never really got into naruto. just one extremely long shonen show is enough for me to handle. i'd check it out just to laugh at the edits though Smile

Last edited by luffypirate on Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
miji

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Disney X D looks like the Disney Channel skewed toward older kids, probably around the same demographic that Toonami was aiming at. Just making guesses from the Disney X D website.

Anyway, I get the channel in HD through Fios, so I'm pretty happy Very Happy . If it winds up being heavily edited, well, I'm getting the boxsets when they come out next year anyway.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Wait I do have Disney Anime hyper. >_> Knology has the Disney Channel and Disney Anime hyper back to back. I thought that was Toon Disney.. Oh well Damn no curse words no blood no punching = epic fail. The guys at Disney probably don't know what Naruto is.... Well DVD here I come (When they do Boxsets) Well I was gonna get them anyway.

And yeah I just turned my TV there and there was a Dancing Tiger................................ Older kids huh?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
sakuramusicstar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Well I can accept this since Cartoon Network is going down the drain anyways because all they show is reality stuff and boring stuff that doesn't really make the channel worth watching anymore except for Adult Swim which they still need to update their anime more or at least show some of the old shows that use to come on like Witch Hunter Robin or Trigun. In other countries Jetix which still is or was own by Disney showed Naruto the dub in different countries like England and they basically shoed the same stuff that was on Toonami.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Maruna wrote:
Like Naruto Shippuden really has a lot of stuff that needs to be edited?

Um, yes. Beware if you're not caught up with the manga: spoiler[Remember that awful Uchiha massacre? How Itachi did it, so he must be bad, right? Oh, except it turns out that it was all justified, and Itachi dies a martyr. Yes, the "friendship" Rolling Eyes series morally justifies the slaughter of an entire group of people. Forgive me if I don't see that as Disney material. Considering this revelation affects a lot of story that comes after, I have no idea how in the hell Disney plans to dance around this.

And that's not even getting into the (vague spoilers) permanent deaths, the BOOM! event, 50% of Hidan's actions, yuri scene, and Pain's rationale for blowing up an entire country.]
nynextew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:48 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Did you forget Disney was the inspiration for Tezuka, the father of manga and anime? I believe Disney did a good job with all of the Miyazaki's film. even Ponyo. I don't think that movie get cut or something like that. I believe Disney had team up with Madhouse Animation to do a Stitch anime...

If I'm not mistaken, Tezuka made Kimba the white Lion....which looks a lot like Simba... the regular lion. That inspiration might be the other way around.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:48 pm Reply with quote
All I could think was the the f?!

I mean if they had said re-runs of Naruto were showing on Disney X-D I would be like oh! ok.

Wow. Just...wow. Isn't Disney X-D for boys 6-14 (Ah I didn't make that up it is true)

Well. I guess thats one way to make sure they sell unedited dvds. This may win more edits than One Piece...just maybe. I think Viz made a mistake (they should have known the show was too graphic for that) and I think Disney made a mistake because how do they edit spoiler[The guy who cuts himself to kill people?!]

Disney bought Marvel and just went off the nut didn't they. Wink

Last edited by britannicamoore on Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
s.alsa-man1991

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
all I can say is WHAT?

I mean, SERIOUSLY, DISNEY?!

I'm waiting for it to get edited to hell.

Well, maybe not. After all, Disney just bought Marvel, and I don't think they're gonna be making any changes there. Besides, y'know, getting the publishing rights to every goddamn Kingdom Hearts manga.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:51 pm Reply with quote
miji wrote:
Disney X D looks like the Disney Channel skewed toward older kids,

Initially read that as "skewered" ^^;

If Spectacular Spider-Man, Wolverine and the X-Men, and the Manga Entertainment library can thrive on digital cable, then maybe there's a chance for Shippuden to not suck......more than it normally does.

Last edited by Joe Mello on Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 16