• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney XD to Add Naruto Shippūden in U.S.

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chibi Buizel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:14 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[When they get to the Immortals Arc (assuming it lasts that long on the air), they'll probably just cut out the entire arc and say that Asuma moved to another village Anime hyper]

But seriously, WTF Disney? You're going to be showing 6-year olds a show that's filled with violence, suggestive themes, blood, and even justifies homicide! Is that something you want to show to toddlers?
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I don't have the TV Channel "Disney X-D", so I'll have to settle with iTunes and/or the DVDs.

Chibi Buizel wrote:
spoiler[When they get to the Immortals Arc (assuming it lasts that long on the air), they'll probably just cut out the entire arc and say that Asuma moved to another village Anime hyper]

But seriously, WTF Disney? You're going to be showing 6-year olds a show that's filled with violence, suggestive themes, blood, and even justifies homicide! Is that something you want to show to toddlers?

Last time I checked, 6 Year Olds are Grade Schoolers, not toddlers lol.
mow123

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Not a fan of the series in question, but I believe that this is good for the anime industry in general. Regardless of any censoring they may do, they will still be bringing anime to a new and easily accessible channel that should introduce anime to a new generation of viewers. Hard-core fans can still seek out Hulu and buying box sets for the uncut versions.

What better way can a hard-core fan of a series do to prove their dedication than the buy the series? I know that it's not affordable to everyone, but it's a small price to pay to show your dedication and support for a series. And I doubt you should be watching Naruto Shippudden on TV if you are hardcore fan -- this broadcast is aimed at the mainstream or new fan and not at you.

Last edited by mow123 on Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:26 am Reply with quote
Chibi Buizel wrote:

The Disney X-D channel targets tweens and teenage boys.
CoolyChaN

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:49 am Reply with quote
Naruto on ice Laughing
unellmay..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:25 am Reply with quote
mow123 wrote:

What better way can a hard-core fan of a series do to prove their dedication than the buy the series? I know that it's not affordable to everyone, but it's a small price to pay to show your dedication and support for a series. And I doubt you should be watching Naruto Shippudden on TV if you are hardcore fan -- this broadcast is aimed at the mainstream or new fan and not at you.

Surely it's aimed at any naruto fan
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:00 pm Reply with quote
unellmay.. wrote:
mow123 wrote:

Surely it's aimed at any naruto fan

It's more aimed at getting a newer audience.

The already fans of Naruto have plenty of other ways to see the series. You don't even have to buy the DVD's. You can stream it uncut online for free and legally.
siradix

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:

The already fans of Naruto have plenty of other ways to see the series. You don't even have to buy the DVD's. You can stream it uncut online for free and legally.

I thought it would have been geared toward the same demography as always. The majority of the shows that are being aired on Disney X D now are geared toward boys ages 10 and up.

Spiderman
Hulk
Fantastic 4
Static Shock
X-men
Iron Man
hhv94

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:35 pm Reply with quote
WTF!!!! Disney xd! Jesus! It's going to be so edited its going to look ridiculous! For giggles I'll probably watch the first episode to see how much they will screw this anime up. IF by some miracle they keep the original animated content Ill be extremely shocked. Highly doubtful they will keep it, as is! Sigh...man I was hoping adult swim or someone else would have picked this up!!! Rolling Eyes

Based on Siradi's post of the line up, Naruto Shippuden does not fit the good old kid mode of those titles. These shows are tame compared to Shipuuden!
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Shippuden is still a kid's show though. It may not be by America's standards, but make no mistake, it is geared towards little boys.
Olliff

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:

Completely agreed. There is no reason to be outraged by this news. If you are a Naruto fan and you want to be sure to watch it uncut you can watch online for free.

By my mark, this news is good for the industry. Edited or not, this show will introduce a new generation of fans to anime. When they learn more, they will seek out other shows, and I will think it would be a boon to the industry in general. We need more anime on TV in general, and I am glad Disney has picked this up.

Also there is a good chance, this series will only be lightly edited or not edited at all, Disney picked up a number of classic anime movies, such as Castle in the Sky and Nausicaa with little or no censorship. Also consider that Disney X-D is aimed for the older audience than Disney, and that it has been voiced that they are trying to broaden their demographic by appealing to both younger and older teens with this show. Never seen Naruto, but I might check it out if it is readily available on Disney X-D.
MugenKeiji

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:14 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Sam Murai wrote:

Still, the channel is the next logical place to go to (Disney's a little more anime-friendly than either CN or Nick right now) and the deal might work out pretty well for both Viz (exposure for top property) and Disney (more attention to channel, more trust in brand).

[Note: "X-D" only because the letters create an emoticon without the hyphen]

Are you really seriously joking???

It's either 1) your a mega disney freak, 2) don't know crap about anime & not a true anime otaku or 3) I guess you haven't seen the sub versions of digimon season 4 and data squad cause die hard dubbers says their sub versions are better than those things.

I'd say all of the above.
Here's some facts newbie.

#1 ) If it wasn't for the 4kids debacle of One Piece and Shaman King, they would have been known as anime killers. Just because CN is showing live action on a limites basis don't mean anything.

#2) the CN edited versions of MAR,Prince of Tennis and Gatch Bell were much better than ay of the anime disney showed cause ther 100% kid friendly like 4kids wheres CN's broadcasts were left mildly edited which pleased the anime communtiy.

And #3)Get the facts man. Shippuden + Disney = ENOROMUS FAILURE AND THE END OF ANIME ON TV!!! PERIOD!!!! Unless you really want that to happen.

Sam isn't blowing smoke out of his pipe you know. Cartoon Network has been VERY cold to new anime programming lately.

-Taking off One Piece in favor of Bakugan
-Canceling the remainder of Gash Bell
-Cutting down Adult Swim's anime programming to one day.
-CN Real...need I say more?

When Cartoon Network, the last haven for ANYTHING animated turns out to go MTV (claiming to represent something but has a lot of trash saying otherwise) you're in DENIAL if you think they're the best network for anime right now (especially when they'd rather air some 3 different Canadian "Flash Trash" shows back to back).

If anything Disney's trying to be a HAVEN for televised anime, whether we trust their level of censorship or not (can't be much worse than Cartoon Network airing Tim Burton's Batman or Ace Ventura). You shouldn't fault Disney for something Cartoon Network's been trying to do since IGPX flopped, if not for the fact that Pokemon sells they would have pulled that from the air as well.

Regarding Digimon, the series have ALWAYS been dubbed like that even BEFORE Disney was involved. I don't think there were many "real" dubs that left in Japanese music and songs like Naruto did on Disney X-D...I suppose you might count Miyazaki flicks if that applies but I'm referring to SERIES.

Also, Prince of Tennis, MAR and Gash Bell STILL had replaced music and songs like Digimon did...so I find your logic laughable when those two are at the same caliber. If you said One Piece, Yu Yu Hakusho or Tenchi MAYBE your argument might stand a bit stronger.

You claim to be an elitist but you really know NOTHING about how business works, let alone how badly the anime industry needs ANY BIT OF EXPOSURE IT CAN. How many times do I have to say this? IF CARTOON NETWORK'S NOT BUYING THEN DON'T EXPECT TO SELL THEM THE BROADCAST RIGHTS! Disney jumped on that opportunity because no one else would, simple as that and from a business standpoint it would have been foolish of ViZ NOT TO jump at the opportunity.

You know, these days Disney MAY be viewed as a kid or girl friendly thing lately but I have memories of their mature side as well: Gargoyles, Darkwing Duck, the Miranda episodes of Bonkers, Kingdom Hearts, The Black Cauldron.

Hell I remember when the CLASSIC Disney Channel aired stuff like "Unico", "The Last Unicorn", "The Hobbit" and "The Adventures of the American Rabbit"...they've got some edge on them I'm sure and it wouldn't surprise me if they were trying to bring that back.
SpiritFoxKit1987

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:42 am Reply with quote
I think I just died inside after reading the article. Anime cry
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote
You guys are aware that at the end of the day Naurto isn't some mature, epic and complex story right? It's a kids shounen on a children's channel. Besides my dislike of excessive editing I don't have an issue with this and I don't really see why anyone else does. We aren't talking about Berserk or even Tenjho Tenge here people.
siradix

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:27 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
You guys are aware that at the end of the day Naurto isn't some mature, epic and complex story right? It's a kids shounen on a children's channel. Besides my dislike of excessive editing I don't have an issue with this and I don't really see why anyone else does. We aren't talking about Berserk or even Tenjho Tenge here people.

I couldn't agree more. I guess for some people it's sort of like how Marvel Animation took Marvel's super heroes then chibified, kiddified, and placed them in the Super Hero Squad Show.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/marvelmoviesuniverse/news/?a=8950
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 16