• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney XD to Add Naruto Shippūden in U.S.

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
You guys are aware that at the end of the day Naurto isn't some mature, epic and complex story right? It's a kids shounen on a children's channel. Besides my dislike of excessive editing I don't have an issue with this and I don't really see why anyone else does. We aren't talking about Berserk or even Tenjho Tenge here people.

Unofrtunately it is going to get exessive editing. Also sure isn't isn't high violent series like tengo tenge or beserk,however people were really pissed off from 4kids version of one piece so you cant blame us for acting like this.

At least there's an uncut dvd being released,but i'm really afraid it wont sell well cause of this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:49 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
You guys are aware that at the end of the day Naurto isn't some mature, epic and complex story right? It's a kids shounen on a children's channel. Besides my dislike of excessive editing I don't have an issue with this and I don't really see why anyone else does. We aren't talking about Berserk or even Tenjho Tenge here people.

Unofrtunately it is going to get exessive editing. Also sure isn't isn't high violent series like tengo tenge or beserk,however people were really pissed off from 4kids version of one piece so you can't blame us for acting like this.

At least there's an uncut dvd being released,but i'm really afraid it wont sell well cause of this.

people were pissed off with 4kids not because it edited out the guns or blood, but because they completely cut up the story and major characters.

also Disney =/ 4kids, besides Naruto isn't any worse than Batman: TAS and Disney Anime hyper airs that all the time.

it should also be noted that networks do have to abide by the FCC in order to get sponsors.
siradix

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:17 pm Reply with quote
The FCC is pretty strict about what gets aired, remember how the Children's Television Act was enforced back in the 90s? A lot of the cartoons back then had some type of educational segment attached at the end.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Disney Anime hyper is a cable channel that apparently only me and 50 other people get. They don't answer to the FCC. They could show whatever they want but they do have a S&P department and are attached to Disney so, no we obviously are not getting anything uncut but how many new fans do you guys think this will bring in? This isn't even CN, this is Disney. If Disney wants to make it big they will, which would affect the industry in a positive way for once.

This isn't a bad thing. You want to see uncut Shippuden? Go to Hulu, buy the DVD sets or quit acting like you even care about the English version and go back to your subs. It's that simple. This could revitalize the industry the way the DBZ dub did if it's handled correctly. This. Is. A. Good. Thing.
Olliff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:52 pm Reply with quote
siradix wrote:
The FCC is pretty strict about what gets aired, remember how the Children's Television Act was enforced back in the 90s? A lot of the cartoons back then had some type of educational segment attached at the end.

As zanarkand princess and others have said, this is Disney X D, they are not bound by the same rules as Disney. The conservative watchdogs have no sway, and remember this a station that is attempting to target an audience older than its normal audience. I bet censorship will follow what Disney has historically done with it's previous anime titles. Historically, Disney itself hasn't used noticeable amounts of censorship on their previous anime titles, such as Castle in the Sky.

This is good news for the industry, and while to certain extent it's easy to get upset that station whose name is synonymous with Hannnah Montana to get their hands on this show, it is actually a blessing in disguise. Getting anime on TV is the best the to create a new generation of anime fans, which in turn is good for the industry as a whole.

Before you claim that this acquisition will destroy anime, let's see what Disney does with it first before you pass your judgement. Not only that, but urge your friends who might be interested in anime to check it out, this is probably the only major opportunity that the anime industry is going to get in the near future -- we might as well make the best out of it. We do not need to ruin this opportunity by creating a bad buzz that will keep the very people that this broadcast is aimed at from checking it out. For the purists, you always have Hulu and DVDs for the uncut version, though I doubt that Disney will make major edits.
MugenKeiji

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:52 am Reply with quote

This isn't a bad thing. You want to see uncut Shippuden? Go to Hulu, buy the DVD sets or quit acting like you even care about the English version and go back to your subs. It's that simple. This could revitalize the industry the way the DBZ dub did if it's handled correctly. This. Is. A. Good. Thing.

*sighs* It's so refreshing that there's more people seeing this from a business perspective.
Atomicsasy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Anime on disneyxd?! the first thought it omfg why not cartoon network or adult swim?! 2nd is WOW DISNEY SERIOUSLY?! not to b mean but disney takes the fun like out[ cursing(bad but it gives you a better feel!), blood and etc...] and 3rd i just wanna hear the voices O.o cause they make them have some really jacked up voices... not cool. but lets just see how it goes Confused
siradix

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Well at least an uncut DVD will be released every month for the show. The first one comes out 29th of this month, and a movie is coming out in November.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:42 am Reply with quote
I wish I got Disney Anime hyper Sad
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:33 am Reply with quote
BTW, CN would not consider switching Shippuden to Adult Swim because CN would never again crossover demographics like they did with the Yu Yu Hakusho fiasco. It was bad for business and only created confusion when trying to sell ad slots to sponsors based on targeting specific demographics.
hitokiriizo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
but people seem to forget (if i missed it sorry) is that studio gibli(sp?) said absolutly no edits and naruto isn't from them so that rule does not apply. the way i see it is that this is a double edged sword
1.they probabily WILL edit it and probably piss off the hardcore fans and MAY kill the series to a near one piece level

2. this can possibly bring new fans into the anime fandom and also help get rid of the stigma that its "evil and corrupting our youth" since its on disney

clearly this is only speculation and opinion until more info is released
fsderek09

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:38 pm Reply with quote
hitokiriizo wrote:
but people seem to forget (if i missed it sorry) is that studio gibli(sp?) said absolutly no edits and naruto isn't from them so that rule does not apply. the way i see it is that this is a double edged sword
1.they probabily WILL edit it and probably piss off the hardcore fans and MAY kill the series to a near one piece level

2. this can possibly bring new fans into the anime fandom and also help get rid of the stigma that its "evil and corrupting our youth" since its on disney

clearly this is only speculation and opinion until more info is released

Good points Hito here's some info for you and the rest of this forum..

Edited: It will be edited slightly, blood will be taken out along with SOME swordplay, other then that all the fighting will still be in it

Dubbed: It will be dubbed in English for the first time on television

Airing: Check your local listings, but it will premiere on DAnime hyper Oct. 28th at 8:30pm with a block of 4 episodes in a row.

Naruto: Shippuden - Homecoming
Wed, Oct 28 8:30pm

Naruto: Shippuden - The Akatsuki Makes Its Move
Wed, Oct 28 9:00pm

Naruto: Shippuden - The Results of Training
Wed, Oct 28 9:30pm

Naruto: Shippuden - The Jinchuriki of the Sand
Wed, Oct 28 10:00pm

If you guys have any questions please quote or reply to this and I'll do my best to answer, I'm working with Viz to help out fans with questions.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Alright, 1. ("asshat" tells me that you are not from America )

WRONG. I was born and raised in the U.S.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:05 am Reply with quote
Here's a total necrobump, but maybe the powers that be will take notice of this. I just checked my digital cable on-screen schedule and found out the new dubbed episode of Naruto Shippuden won't be coming on Wednesday night at 9 p.m. (encore at 2 a.m.) this week! Instead it will be SATURDAY night at 11 p.m. and there will be no same-night encore! No change in the rerun schedule though: still 2:30 a.m. every weeknight.
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Soooo...just how long until Disney X-D drops Shippuden because it's "too X-Treme" for them now?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 16