• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-09-11]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hepzibah

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:38 pm Reply with quote
To Anime Club: I was a part of the "anime interest group" in high school. What basically happened, was my high school was having great difficulty figuring out how to deal with scheduling, so they threw us into classrooms for the final thirty minutes of the school day. Coincidentally, they managed to toss several anime nerds into the same room. We started with studying Japanese culture, but when it became obvious that many of us wanted to geek out, the people who were not as interested went into a different room. So, we watched anime, and got the teacher converted. I don't recall any problems whatsoever, but then I don't think the faculty at large really understood what we were doing.

When I entered university, I joined the established anime club. A couple of years later, the president handed me the reigns. He didn't give me any guidance whatsoever, so I was basically needing to figure out what to do on my own. The first thing I did was to write up a list of rules and a constitution, and then found some members willing to step up and be officers. I found a faculty adviser who was willing to lend us his support (basically just a name on paper, since he was just doing it as a favor to me). Finally, I did all I could to support my members, and be a good representative to the rest of the college. Someone else is running it now, but from what they have been telling me, it sounds like they are off and running with no problems. I am most proud of that.

The university organization was a lot more rewarding than the high school one. We had a lot more freedom in what we could watch (although we never showed fansubs of anything licensed, due to legality issues). The biggest difficulty we had, was that people didn't take us seriously, and there were still a lot of misconceptions about what we were actually doing. We finally just let the campus think we were a bunch of geeks, and tried to target those who had a similar interest, rather than try to bring in people who knew nothing about it. This resulted in a very slow membership rate, but the members who did come, tended to stay.

Hope that helps you in your quest of getting a club started.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
grave_digger18

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I cracked up hearing that review of Beyblade. All those stereotypes are right on the money and i'm also glad i did watch most of that show so that I could appreciate that. Yugi oh and Monster Rancher (which, like beyblade were played right after school in the same time slot for me) had the exact same flaws/stupidities and its starting to make me really wonder why i spent all that time watching them. Damn cable!

Although in retrospect, they all still make for a good laugh and funny memories. Like when i played the Yugi oh card game for a bit and tried to mimic the characters from the show

oh when you're young....
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Regarding anime clubs, see "Starting an anime club" in Gilles Poitras' Anime Essentials: Every Thing a Fan Needs to Know (Berkeley, Calif.: Stone Bridge Press, 2001, pp. 74–78; ISBN 1880656531). And yes, the fansubbing section is now out of date.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Our club might need to advertise, just because I feel like I want even more people in it to pack up the room. The best way for that is to get a table and sit outside the Union. I dunno how other schools do it, but that's how mine lets us roll. And we can just plug stuff in and sit there and talk to who comes up. Posting up papers around the campus might not be the best because then come to the club without having met any other people, let alone the officers, and they don't know what to expect. This is just a more active way versus an older passive one, and by being outside the Student Union, most of the student body on a given day will pass by that area.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
If Ben thinks Tenchi in Tokyo is bad, he should stay away from the third Tenchi OVA, because it's even worse, and it's from the guy who actually came up with Tenchi Muyo!

I wouldn't agree with Ben on that one as I happen to like Tenchi in Tokyo even though I will say of out Tenchi Muyo (The first two OVA's_, Tenchi Universe, and Tenchi in Tokyo, Tenchi in Tokyo is the weakest of the three. The third OVA was okay, but it felt off overall. It was like something was a miss the whole time.

Like maybe the fact that none of the main characters really did anything, the story constantly refuted the established continuity of the first two OVAs, and the new characters were absolutely worthless add-ons that drifted in and out on the whims of the director? Or perhaps that nothing was really resolved, and more questions were raised than answered. Also, the answers to some questions were just pathetic.

Come on, it was an abomination.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:13 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Quote:
But yet, I love watching the english dub of it because it's that bad.

I really don't understand why people would watch something and love it if the dubbing is bad. That's a bizarre statement, no matter how many times I see it.

It's the same reason people watch Plan 9 from Outer Space over and over again even though it is a horrible horrible film or any other B movie that is so bad it's good. While some may dislike it, other may get joy it watching it because of how horrible it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FeralKat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Someone finally gets why I love Weiss Kruz so much! Very Happy Great response!
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote
FeralKat wrote:
Someone finally gets why I love Weiss Kruz so much! Very Happy Great response!

And who would think that guys who work in a florist shop could be the guys that form this group? Like Clark Kent or Peter Parker throwing people off with their respective identities...
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I had a strange ex-girlfriend who loved Weiss Kreuz! She was an avid fanfic writer, and wrote them into various Yaoi situations (knowing it made me squirm) Between that and her love of those creepy Ball-jointed dolls and the fact she introduced me to YuGiOh Abridged, she was definitely the most interesting girlfriend I've ever had...

And for the "I meant to submit an Answerfans answer" category, how about Orochuban Ebichu? Another Otaku ex-girlfriend of mine and I saw that in our college anime club, she hated it (called it hamster p 0 r n) but I loved it and called it Hamtaro on crack! I don't know if Brian wanted only R1 releases in our answers, but Ebichu was one of Gainax's most FUBAR series ever!
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi Muyo and Tenchi Universe were definitly better than Tenchi in Tokyo. I couldn't believe they did that to Tenchi. As someone once described it, Tenchi in Tokyo is a bastardized version of Tenchi.
I sort of want to try out Weiss Kreuz. I looked into it, and it sounds interesting to me. Besides, I can't always go by what some anime fans think of other anime. No offense. Anime is way too opinionated to take another's word for it.
I've seen the whole first season of Beyblade, and it's actually not as bad as that girl put it. I find the animation crisp and clean, and the character designs are cute. Yeah, it has the stereotypes, but that's what gave it it's charm. By the way, Kai was the way he was because he was supposed to be jerk. Sure, the main character can be annoying, and the beyblade battles do get dull, but I like the interaction between the characters. The second season was not that great, I will say that, but the third season gets better, and it gets more dramatic. Just because it's "kiddie" doesn't mean it's bad. I like that it's lighthearted, and to me, it's anime fluff, which I don't see that much. I'm sure you all have anime that are fluff to you.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Content issues aside, negative because Naruto was one of the highest rated shows on Cartoon Network. Then it was pulled. Shippuden needs to stay on Cartoon Network but on Adult Swim (technically speaking, both on the same TV channel).

Why does a series that was aimed at 12-15 year olds have to be on Adult Swim?
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:26 am Reply with quote
Delete

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:04 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Haha, I loved Weiss Kreuz! It was so ridiculously indulgent and campy. Koyasu, you crazy kid, we love you. Wink

Glad to see a fellow Weiß Kreuz fan on here! With all the hate for it, I have to wonder: Are the haters and I even watching the same show? Or for that matter, did any of them ever ACTUALLY WATCH IT BEFORE SHOOTING OFF THEIR DAMN MOUTHS?

Also, why do so many people hate the X/1999 movie? I saw it on the Sci-Fi Channel (Yes, it's ALWAYS going to be "Sci-Fi" to me instead of that Polish word for "crap"), and it was really good! Come on, this is CLAMP here! Are we even WATCHING the same movie?
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:15 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
The TV show is brilliant. There are some faults with it, true - a few things they cut from the manga that I wish they'd kept, mainly the relationship between the two mothers, but others that I were glad they changed, plus it has a satisfying ending. And unlike the movie, (vague spoiler) spoiler[quite a few people are actually alive at the end and get decently happy endings.] Give it a try, please.

Maybe at least I will. There are good prices for the series on Right Stuf.
panzer.time

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:48 am Reply with quote
Come on, that guy on Otaku no Video was stealing cels, not collecting them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4