• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yoshiyuki Tomino Press Conference

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:18 pm Reply with quote
kaito2198 wrote:
Well, I read everyone's opinion, and surely it is so different between Japan and America. But still, if any American sponsor wants to sponsor Mr Tomino, I hope he will be very glad to it because what Mr Tomino faced this few years is just no sponsor to let him make any work.
Speaking for myself of course, if only I have the chance, I would love to sponsor Mr. Tomino so he can work as a storyteller once again. Bandai and Sunrise be damned! Mad

Heck! I don't care if someone else managed to pull it off, so long as they have the resources and the networking. They can sponsor Mr. Tomino's work with my business ideas and I'll be gladly pay for it.

... Please? Sad
petran79

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:

And here's what Tekkonkinkreet's director Michael Arias thinks:
http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php?title=title_44&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
Do you think you could have gotten Tekkon made into a feature-length animated feature anywhere else?

No. Believe me, I thought about it. Certainly from a technical standpoint, Japan is the only place to make a movie like this. But I think Japanese audiences are particularly receptive to this kind of film. People here, even "average" movie audiences, are really very sophisticated in their appreciation of animated cinema. At one point I shopped the project around Hollywood and, though everyone liked the pilot, I got some very strange suggestions: change White to a girl, make the characters older and make the story a romance, etc.

But Japanese audiences besides their productions and some American animation, are ignorant of other animated productions (lets not talk about the so called "anime otaku", since most have no idea about eg European, Russian or Canadian animation ). One reason H.Miyazaki tried to promote movies like the French "Le Roi et L'Oisseau" through Studio Ghibli. Actually Russian audiences are in an advantage regarding animation as art and not just as commodity.

In Japan too there is a great deal of independent animators as Y.Tomino mentioned. The best solution would be to make something with good quality without letting the commercial aspect undermine the artistic one. This kind of friction exists everywhere in the entertainment industry.

Overall very interesting interview. Y. Tomino had a lot to say, mainly from his experience in anime production but also in the discussion related to his studies.

Unfortunately when he delves into other fields, eg. politics, he'll see that there is much more than H.Arendt and other interesting opinions and arguments. But as a director/writer you have to be well versed into other topics and he certainly keeps learning without rest.

Eg. one director I know (not anime related) has also a degree in Political Science and Masters in Communications theory. A rare case indeed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3