• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Now Streaming: Gankutsuou - The Count of Monte Cristo 1-4 (d)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quote
That's cool. I've been wanting to check it out for a while.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:04 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
That's cool. I've been wanting to check it out for a while.

Same here. I keep reading that it's something worth checking out, so I'm glad to have a chance, especially in English since that's how I prefer my shows. The simulcasts are a great idea, but it's tougher for me to get into a show without a dub, so I'm usually willing to wait. Thanks for putting this up!
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:19 am Reply with quote
This is a fantastic show....and it's on rightstuf for dirt cheap:
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/IUu3pijARv5KNuQzhY/browse/item/75275/4/0/0
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I ain't gonna sugarcoat it...this is AWESOME NEWS!

I was hoping we might get 3 and 4 of Baccano!, but this is just as good!
Ryusui

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:24 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one who can't help but find that logo a bit...unusual?

The original Geneon logo put "Gankutsuou" in large print with "The Count of Monte Cristo" in subtitles. The one on the ANN banner has them reversed...which, personally, makes a hell of a lot more sense.

FUNi's the one distributing the series now, right? I imagine this is their doing. ^_^ (On a random note, their work on Romeo x Juliet is freaking incredible.)
Riks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Same here. I keep reading that it's something worth checking out, so I'm glad to have a chance, especially in English since that's how I prefer my shows. The simulcasts are a great idea, but it's tougher for me to get into a show without a dub, so I'm usually willing to wait. Thanks for putting this up!

That's interesting you should say that. I tried to watch Gankutsuou in English, but I found it lacked the same emotional deliverance (to me) as the Japanese dialogue did, particularly in the case of Albert who loses a bit of his naivety in English. As for the Count, Jouji Nakata is phenomenal; I found myself hanging on his every word from the first episode to the end. While the dub seems to stick very close script wise to the original dialogue, the actual English has less of an impact than the Japanese. This may be due to the fact that most of the characters are French, and I would rather listen to them speak in Japanese than English.

I must note that I am, for the most part, a fan of dubs. Hellsing, for example, is an anime I only watch in English (despite Jouji Nakata as Alucard). However, most of the characters are English or German, and the voice actors give the characters the appropriate accents (and most of the English characters are voiced by English actors).

I'm grateful for any method Funimation uses to spread such a high quality anime. Gankutsuou is artistically breathtaking, suspenseful, and quite complex. I dare say it is my favourite anime. Everyone should have an opportunity to see such a spectacular show.
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I watched the whole Dub off the Netflix website last month. It was pretty good. The sci fi twist was played nicely you could almost not tell this show took place in space.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1