• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Making History: The Rose of Versailles

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:28 am Reply with quote
roseversailles wrote:
I'll have to try that for LoGH; I'm always so wary about streaming and downloading since my last computer crashed due to a malware from a manga site. I'll just have to be careful and brandish my security software Smile

Well, I found the fansubs to be perfectly fine security-wise so I don't think you'll have a problem (providing you download the same ones I got).

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
As for the RoV fansubs, encoders work with what they get. Maybe all they had available were some LDrips, it's not like they intentionally made the series look bad to piss fans off.

I understand completely. I was just happy and thankful that I was watching the show at all, so I didn't give a rat's arse what the visual quality looked like.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:29 am Reply with quote
I'm still amazed that Nozomi Entertainment was given rights to release Rose in the US. I was going to submit a question to Ikeda but I'm perfectly content with owning the DVDs. Wonder if they're going to be like the Utena box sets and priced around $50-70 or so with a discount later on.

Quote:
Napier pointed to the main character Oscar as being a major asset to the series, saying, “The cross-dressing young woman would become the series' most important protagonist, eclipsing even Marie Antoinette. Although there had been cross dressing manga protagonists previously, (the most famous being the heroine of Tezuka Osamu's Princess Knight series), Oscar was a truly complex and three-dimensional figure who offered young Japanese women a different kind of role model from the traditional demure and subdued idea of Japanese womanhood. Oscar went on to spawn a long line of feisty cross dressing heroines, the most famous of whom is probably Utena of the popular Revolutionary Girl Utena series.”
Now, all three series are (or rather will be) available from Nozomi; amazing how it all comes full circle. Wink

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I would assume getting the manga has licensed will depend a lot on the sales of the anime.

[...]
But I am really liking the sound of Viki becoming a streaming site for classic series. Although I love that CR has become a legal streaming site, one of the things I miss about it before it became legal was it was a great place to watch classic anime. In fact I am pretty sure that is where I originally watched Rose of Versailles.

I watched/currently watching Capt. Harlock and GE999 (plan on trying Slam Dunk; not that "old" but still considered a good show) on Crunchyroll but I'm glad Viki has so many Tezuka shows to watch like Marvelous Melmo and older shoujo.

I'm not too well versed in how to judge the 'quality' of video (I understand desaturation of color, dirty film=crackling sound, etc. but I'm no expert) but if anyone took the chance to license this series, I would gladly purchase any, if not all, of the films & OVAs from the LOGH series. Fansubs did introduce the series to me (I'm grateful) but I want an actual copy. I would import from Japan but...well...$$$
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:41 am Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:

Is there still no chance of getting the already-made French dub?

That I'll will LOVE to hear (unless the French dub surprisingly blows Anime dazed )! Is it possible Nozomi will go the extra mile?
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:47 am Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:

<snip>
I'm not too well versed in how to judge the 'quality' of video (I understand desaturation of color, dirty film=crackling sound, etc. but I'm no expert) but if anyone took the chance to license this series, I would gladly purchase any, if not all, of the films & OVAs from the LOGH series. Fansubs did introduce the series to me (I'm grateful) but I want an actual copy. I would import from Japan but...well...$$$

Well there it has been released on blu-ray so the video quality these days is top notch as i saw the BD version.

also great news for the US how ever I feel this may just end up being another salvo I'll end up using against UK distros if they choose to ignore or handle it poorly.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quote
To make an English dub cost-effective, they would probably need atleast a TV broadcast on a block as wide-reaching as Adult Swim. And we all know how poorly 70's era Lupin III performed there.
varmintx wrote:

It's on DVD in French-Canada. Amazon.ca link

Edit: Reworded for clarity.

Last edited by FLCLGainax on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote
This was a good article. I'm glad that ANN has been giving this series and release ample attention. I'll be buying it myself on the strength of the first episode, which was one of the most effective that I've ever seen, and the reputation, which looks very promising to me.

I would love to see Rose of Versailled dubbed in English, I'd even be willing to pay extra for that, but I realize that doing so would be infeasible. I loved the first episode in Japanese, so that should more than suffice for the rest of the series.

I hope that the DVD release comes in lovely boxes with some good supplementary material. Some of the things mentioned in this article, such as the series' effect on shōjo manga, seem like they could be good things to expand upon for inclusion with the release. The show alone will suffice, but the more the better. As I recall the booklets that came with the Revolutionary Girl Utena release were translations from material that had come with the Japanese release. Does anybody know if The Rose of Versailles gotten similarly luxurious treatment in Japan? I'm afraid that I'm not really up on knowing that kind of thing.

One thing that I'd like to see explored more deeply and more from the perspective of the people and era in question is the change in attitudes and other significance assigned to The Rose of Versailles. I find it to be an alluring thesis, but I know that it's easy to be overly enthusiastic about reading the runes of history. I hope that some of Ryoko Ikeda's answers to the questions hint at whether she knew what she was doing in a larger sense, or if she just happened to tell a story that ended up rather daring. It could also be that she realized after that fact that, yeah, she was totally doing that, for sure.

I should definitely look into the Deborah Shamoon book.

I hadn't realized that Oscar wasn't the lead of the Rose of Versailles manga from the get-go, but was drawn forward because of a strong response from its readers. I had assumed that it was always meant as Oscar's story. That actually makes me a little more interested in reading it some day. It'd be nice to see it released in English.

I am looking unreasonably forward to this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ashez2ashes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Any word on when the boxsets will be up for preorder? I don't want to forget about them and lose out getting my own set.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:24 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

I hope that the DVD release comes in lovely boxes with some good supplementary material. Some of the things mentioned in this article, such as the series' effect on shōjo manga, seem like they could be good things to expand upon for inclusion with the release. The show alone will suffice, but the more the better. As I recall the booklets that came with the Revolutionary Girl Utena release were translations from material that had come with the Japanese release. Does anybody know if The Rose of Versailles gotten similarly luxurious treatment in Japan? I'm afraid that I'm not really up on knowing that kind of thing.
I am looking unreasonably forward to this.

You're not the only one! I squealed and cried like a fool for a good full day when the announcement was made, questioning everyone I encountered if I was dreaming. I got some very funny looks Confused As for the question of boxsets, Rose of Versailles has been released a few times in Asia in different boxsets; one was a gorgeous boxset with artwork and crushed red velvet lining, but there was no booklet or special features. A memorial boxset was released a year or two ago, at around $300, and had remastered audio and quality, but was similarly short on special features, if I remember correctly. Europe has seen some singular releases of episodes, with Italy getting the best package. There was also an Arabic version. In any case, I have a feeling Nozomi's package will outshine all that has come before. If this is anything like the Utena set, we're all in for a real treat.
As for the manga, you can order the bunko set or a French edition of the manga. The only English release its seen was a short blurb in a book titled 'Manga! Manga! The World of Japanese Comics.' It's brief, but worth a look. I have literally assembled all the reading material printed in English on RoV Laughing A good little book to check out would be '500 Manga Heroes and Villains.' It has a very informative spread on Oscar, as well as shorter clips about Andre and Marie. It was actually what first raised my awareness of RoV. As a warning, though, it does contain spoilers. spoiler[However, midway through the series you will have a pretty good idea about what sort of ends the characters meet...]
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
varmintx wrote:
It's on DVD in French-Canada. Amazon.ca link
Oh, I don't know French, I'd just rather watch French characters speaking their own language. I've had problems in the past when the setting was very important to a series, but the characters weren't speaking the proper language. Just 2 examples: for Zipang, I could at least switch to Japanese when it started to bother me, but for Emma, I didn't have the option to watch it in English. I would just like the option to watch this in French if it's possible for them to get that dub without considerable extra cost.

Thanks for the link though.
Ranma_one_two

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I have the anime with a French dub, available from Amazon.fr. I have the French edition of the manga, in two 800+ page volumes. I have the live-action Japanese / French movie with the original English soundtrack. I attended a stage drama portraying the young Oscar and Andre at their military academy, performed by the Takarazaka all-female troupe in Tokyo.

If you haven't read the manga, the others are a waste of time. If you have read the manga, the anime is lame and boring by comparison, while the others are rather amusing. Until a decent English translation of the manga is available, check out the usual "fan-sub" manga download sites.

France is the second largest consumer of Japanese manga outside of Japan itself. If you like like manga, don't study Japanese -- study French!
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
varmintx wrote:

That I'll will LOVE to hear (unless the French dub surprisingly blows Anime dazed )! Is it possible Nozomi will go the extra mile?

Not sure, though I also dig how the French version had to have it's own theme song anyway.
Ranma_one_two

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:09 am Reply with quote
Both the Rose of Versailles manga and Lady Oscar anime are still available from Amazon.fr. You can use your existing Amazon account to buy them, but of course there is no free shipping to the USA!
Ladyjaye75

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:27 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
niastyle wrote:
Cannot begin to say how utterly disappointed I am that Rose of Versailles will not be dubbed. Crying or Very sad

I already have a subbed version of the series, and love it to death. As I would watch it, I would dream of the day when I could watch, and truly enjoy it in english. (I hate subtitles) I was so ecstatic when I heard Rose was licensed. I even did a happy dance. But now I'm doing the disappointed shuffle, since my dream of seeing it in english has been killed forever.
While not as disappointing as Emma never getting dubbed (I should hope the reason is obvious), yeah, I wish it was as well. But, I'm a realist, and the fact that it got licensed at all is more than I ever expected.

Bumping an old thread, but I must point out a couple of things.

1. this was not the first time that the series was accessible in North America, as the French dub aired on Canadian TV in the 1980s.

2. The full French dub series does exist on NTSC Zone 1 DVD, but I don't recommend it. It was released by Imavision, which was a distributor that brought out low-quality boxsets (originally at a premium price!) with no bonus content (unless you count the three episodes in Japanese without any subtitling option). Instead, if you have access to a zone-free Blu-ray player (easy enough to do with most models, especially no-name brands), I recommend the French Blu-ray edition. It's pretty expensive, but a must-have for Rose of Versailles fans. The set is made out of a large informative hardcover book with the BD disks inserted in the inside cover (I'd recommend moving them to actual disc cases to avoid scratching them). There are many extras in the discs, including the choice between both the French audio and the Japanese audio with French subs. If this edition is too pricey, then I'd recommend the older collector's edition in French in DVD format. The image transfer isn't quite as nice, but it's almost as generous in bonus content. I've owned all three versions of the boxset mentioned in my reply, and the Imavision really is a waste of money compared to the other two.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2