• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The 3 things about ANN Reviews.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braves

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to know that myself. As far as I was concerned, the MLA format is used to write research papers along with creating and maintaining an overly pedantic way to cite sources in those research papers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
And what does 'MLA format' mean for reviews?

It means nothing if they're not citing references or putting together a works cited page. It's an American referencing style (MLA, APA, Turbian, Harvard, etc).
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I've always enjoyed reading the Anime News Network reviews of anime and manga. Zac is clearly the most hilarious writer here and I've either laughed or really enjoyed each and every review he has written.

The other reviewers are fine and are quite intelligent. I much rather a review that may be "wordy" but otherwise well written, has absolutely no spelling errors and for the most part, follows MLA format than a review that constantly has tons of errors, is opinionated and doesn't follow MLA at all.

Even worse is if the reviewer doesn't even know what MLA format is. In short, I rather read reviews from elite professionals than a person that doesn't have any credentials.

Not to be picky, but I find it hilarious that you made multiple errors in a post calling for "absolutely no spelling errors".

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I think it's perfectly fine to state your opinion on a series through a review. Then again, you have to watch who you hand the screener to. You can't have someone (like myself) review a series like, say Kanon who absolutely hates hates moe. That just wouldn't be fair. You have to give anime like that to a neutral party like Otaku USA did for Strike Witches.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:18 am Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
I think it's perfectly fine to state your opinion on a series through a review. Then again, you have to watch who you hand the screener to. You can't have someone (like myself) review a series like, say Kanon who absolutely hates hates moe. That just wouldn't be fair. You have to give anime like that to a neutral party like Otaku USA did for Strike Witches.

On that note, Mike Toole (Anime Jump Show, his new column here) did a hilarious and I mean hilarious review of Kannon years ago. I can't tell if he hates moe (which I can understand to be honest), but none the less, was hilarious, but was well done though.

I do see where your coming from though KanjiiZ. Which is why I wouldn't ever review a shojo show or moe show. Granted, I have bought and watched Lucky Star, but mostly because Wendee Lee was in the series and so was Johnny Yong Bosch. He didn't have a large role, but the fact he was in the series was reason enough to buy the series.

Lucky Star actually wasn't a bad series, I liked the fact most the characters turned 18 and was funny at parts. Konata's father made me laugh several times as well.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:01 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I've always enjoyed reading the Anime News Network reviews of anime and manga. Zac is clearly the most hilarious writer here and I've either laughed or really enjoyed each and every review he has written.

The other reviewers are fine and are quite intelligent. I much rather a review that may be "wordy" but otherwise well written, has absolutely no spelling errors and for the most part, follows MLA format than a review that constantly has tons of errors, is opinionated and doesn't follow MLA at all.

Even worse is if the reviewer doesn't even know what MLA format is. In short, I rather read reviews from elite professionals than a person that doesn't have any credentials.

Not to be picky, but I find it hilarious that you made multiple errors in a post calling for "absolutely no spelling errors".

- abunai

While no one should write like an 11 year old girl, the spelling and grammatical expectations of a post on an internet message board is hardly the same as a professionally written review for a major online anime publication. That said, I've found zero if any mistakes in any of the reviews I've read, so I don't know what site he's reading. And that he thinks anyone other than a college student or a scholar should adhere to any citation format is hilarious.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:08 am Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
I think it's perfectly fine to state your opinion on a series through a review.

To me it is a slippery slope if you start putting personal opinions in a review then you start getting into the grey areas and then it becomes "Well it his show bad because it is bad, or is a show bad because said reviewer thinks it's bad."

Also I also see it that it can bring down the "power" of the review and the reviewer. What I mean by this is that if someone would say for example "I feel the shows quality drops around..." I would see it as well this is just their personal opinion and take them and the review with grain of salt. Now if a review would say something like "The overall quality of the series drops at or around..." that would come off stronger because while yes it still personal opinion it doesn't come off sounding like it is, and thus the review to me sounds stronger.

KanjiiZ wrote:
You can't have someone (like myself) review a series like, say Kanon who absolutely hates hates moe. That just wouldn't be fair.

Yet, you have a picture of a character from a show that I would say has some moe in it. You may dislike certain elements of a fandom or a show but you can still say a show is great even if you hate parts of it. The best example of this would be a review JesuOktau did (non ANN review) for NGE and while she didn't like it, she still gave it a fairly good rating 3 out of 4 stars.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Arguing whether or not you should put personal opinions into a review is like arguing whether or not you should hold the steering wheel while driving a car.

You guys are hilarious.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
To me it is a slippery slope if you start putting personal opinions in a review then you start getting into the grey areas and then it becomes "Well it his show bad because it is bad, or is a show bad because said reviewer thinks it's bad."

You know what you have when you take personal opinion out of a review? A plot synopsis. And if I wanted to read a plot synopsis I'd go to the encyclopedia.

Go ahead, write a review without your opinion in it. You'll be staring at a blank page for a while.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:41 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Quote:

You know what you have when you take personal opinion out of a review? A plot synopsis. And if I wanted to read a plot synopsis I'd go to the encyclopedia.

Go ahead, write a review without your opinion in it. You'll be staring at a blank page for a while.

Not necessarily a plot synopsis. You could also be reading a PR-submitted review, or one paid for by the publisher.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:49 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Quote:

It's the way the opinions come across in the review is what I meant. If someone writes a review from the third person perspective then the opinions while there don't stand out as much compared to where someone would write it from a first person perspective where the opinion are easier to point out.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:54 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
Quote:

It's the way the opinions come across in the review is what I meant. If someone writes a review from the third person perspective then the opinions while there don't stand out as much compared to where someone would write it from a first person perspective where the opinion are easier to point out.

You mean where opinions are stated as fact instead of "I think...?" It's true if a reviewer is saying something like "Personally, I think that such and such is slow to get started and doesn't go anywhere" and so on, it doesn't sound as persuasive, since the point of a review is to persuade the reader to either watch it or stay away. But regardless, anyone should know that the review is the persons opinion unless it's obvious it's just a PR statement or a paid review.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:11 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:

You mean where opinions are stated as fact instead of "I think...?" It's true if a reviewer is saying something like "Personally, I think that such and such is slow to get started and doesn't go anywhere" and so on, it doesn't sound as persuasive, since the point of a review is to persuade the reader to either watch it or stay away. But regardless, anyone should know that the review is the persons opinion unless it's obvious it's just a PR statement or a paid review.

This is my last post on this since I'm beating a dead house.

In an earlier post about this so below is what I posted.

Also I see it that it can bring down the "power" of the review and the reviewer. What I mean by this is that if someone would say for example "I feel the shows quality drops around..." I would see it as well this is just their personal opinion and take them and the review with grain of salt. Now if a review would say something like "The overall quality of the series drops at or around..." that would come off stronger because while yes it still personal opinion it doesn't come off sounding like it is, and thus the review to me sounds stronger.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:40 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:

This is my last post on this since I'm beating a dead house.

In an earlier post about this so below is what I posted.

Also I see it that it can bring down the "power" of the review and the reviewer. What I mean by this is that if someone would say for example "I feel the shows quality drops around..." I would see it as well this is just their personal opinion and take them and the review with grain of salt. Now if a review would say something like "The overall quality of the series drops at or around..." that would come off stronger because while yes it still personal opinion it doesn't come off sounding like it is, and thus the review to me sounds

stronger.

You just agreed with me agreeing with you.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
On that note, Mike Toole (Anime Jump Show, his new column here) did a hilarious and I mean hilarious review of Kannon years ago. I can't tell if he hates moe (which I can understand to be honest), but none the less, was hilarious, but was well done though.
Wait, that was a review? I thought it was a comedy video. "Hilarious"...well, that's subjective. But that whole Kanon <-> canon confusion gag, that was timeless.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4