• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: I.G, Masaaki Yuasa's Kick-Heart Anime Gets English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:01 pm Reply with quote
The idea of a "backer dub" is intriguing, and probably only really possible in this unique circumstance (I was almost involved in a fan commentary once, but they failed to secure permissions). I am reminded of the dual dubs for Hoshi no Koe though.

@DiGiKerot/Wooga
I've seen this discussed before (might have been on a Manga UK podcast), and the main problem is you really need to have secured the license to the show before you can run a funder for it.

(ninja'd)

@unitzer07
Depends on your definition of "produced". A lot of in-between animation and background work is outsourced but the producers and other key staff are Japanese.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:04 pm Reply with quote
unitzer07 wrote:
everyone here realizes that most anime is produced in Korea and China right?

Yeah so are a lot of American cartoons, but that doesn't make The Simpsons any less American does it? Anime companies may outsource the actual animation process, but the creators (writer, director, character designer, ect.) of the shows are usually Japanese and are working for Japanese animation companies thus it is anime. To suggest otherwise would be like saying Apple is a Chinese company because most of the products are assembled in China.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:34 pm Reply with quote
unitzer07 wrote:

No. It's certainly true China and Korea have become pretty big in the anime industry and produce some of their own materials but they've long been used as overseas studios for animation work. There's still the heavy majority of anime is still produced within Japan by Japanese companies, (Toei, Kadokawa, NHK etc as far as financiers)
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:09 pm Reply with quote
kikiyo2 wrote:
Why does this news keep getting posted on ANN? Last I checked anime was defined as JAPANESE animation for JAPANESE. This is an English funded project and therefore shouldn't qualify as being anime.

So according to your logic, these are not anime:

Little Nemo: because this was a co-production between Japan and US, and by the way this came out in Japan first in 1989, didn't came to the US until 1992.

Marvel anime: because this was done my Madhouse and Marvel fund this project, and came out first in Japan in 2010, didn't came to the US until 2011.

Afro Samurai: animation based on the manga, came out in the US in Jan 2007 and Japan in May 2007 with Japanese subtitles (no Japanese audio) when it was broadcast in Japan.

EDIT: fix some mistake on my post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
db5007

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote
kikiyo2 wrote:
Why does this news keep getting posted on ANN? Last I checked anime was defined as JAPANESE animation for JAPANESE. This is an English funded project and therefore shouldn't qualify as being anime.

Well, I'm not sure who officially defines the term but in my book, "anime" is the term used to describe the word "animation" in the Japanese language. Over the years it has developed it's own unique identity that is associated with various styles of animation first created in Japan (largely inspired from Manga).

Also Kick-heart is not an English funded project-- its made of 1000's of backers all around the world, including many in Japan. It marks the first time fans have used crowd-funding as an alternative to the current system.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:16 pm Reply with quote
unitzer07 wrote:

No. Most anime is still produced in Japan. You should take a look at the ANN encyclopedia and look at the staff credits. The tweening is farmed out to other Asian studios to help expedite the animation labor. Heck, the labor is farmed out from the main studio to many others within Japan. Even so, a lot of work itself still occurs in the primary anime studios, such as writing, all the design, backgrounds, sketches, most of the key frame animation and the Japanese studios still has to review the work by animation director and perform necessary clean up, as well as edit and composite them
unitzer07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:43 am Reply with quote
My wife was a director in japan so I'm pretty sure I have some accurate knowledge on the subject. I was mostly replying to those people who were naysaying kick heart as not being Japanese because it was funded by Americans.

I never said that Kick-Heart wasn't anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2