• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Alien Nine

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:56 am Reply with quote
Justin is reviewing one of the titles he worked on at CPM.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote
I finished watching an old anime show that had trailers for 'Alien Nine'. Now you're doing a 'Buried Treasure' on it. Smile Great little series. Definitely worth picking up. If you can grab the boxset with the books it's a better deal.
bayoab

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:54 am Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
I could have sworn the dubs were available for stream on Youtube legally. At work right now so I can't check but arent' they? Or am I think Angelic Layers which is completely different?
You are thinking of Angelic Layer. Alien 9 isn't legally available in digital form.
K.o.R

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote
I loved the manga and the adaptation, I just wish they'd been given ~13 episodes instead of 4. It all feels really rushed which is the only weak point of an otherwise awesome show.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:00 am Reply with quote
I just ordered the Ultimate Collection from RightStuf. Thanks Justin. I love this column. Smile

From what your review said, Alien Nine sounds a lot like Shadow Star Narutaru, another "kids get superpowered aliens and go nuts" type show. It has this hilariously happy opener, but the whole series is about murder and torture. Maybe that's one for this column eventually, as it is also out of print, I believe.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:58 am Reply with quote
There was one scene in Alien Nine that really threw me for a loop, more so than any of the other scenes because it happens so fast and never explains what happened.

The scene was in the last episode where the giant alien was giving everyone in school a headache, expect for Kumi and Yuri, since they had their Borgs. Both of them are in a locker room or dressing room talking about this, but Yuri doesn't really understand. The camera cuts to the ceiling, where we see Yuri's Borg being tossed up in the air. Then her CLOTHES. Kumi says "Grow up!" Then it cuts to both of them on the roof with Ms. Hisakawa. Yuri is crying and Ms. Hisakawa asks why. Kumi says that it's nothing and that Yuri's fine. And that's all that's ever said about that scene.

Uh...what? Is it implied that Kumi raped Yuri or something?! Or am I just going crazy here and there's really some innocent explanation?!

Sorry for bringing up something weird, but that scene has been driving me crazy since I first saw it like three years ago. Confused
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the article, but I must admit the show frustrated me. Why? Incomplete shows drive me crazy, and this felt like a video advertisement for the manga. The fact that the manga didn't really finish the story either makes me glad I didn't pick the manga up.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Just think of me as the columnist with an inner ear problem.

Just remember to listen to the words of Wally the "Don't Do Things That Might Irritate Your Inner Ear" Badger.

*crickets*

Um, anyway I saw the review for Alien Nine's manga last year here and it sounds like something for those horror/psychosis freaks who are into that sort of thing. Probably not for me. I prefer being disturbed by something strange only once a year at the most. But those hats did look familiar when I saw the screenshots. I thought I saw those being sold at the last three Anime Expo. I might have gotten them mixed up with some other hat with long ear things though.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:14 pm Reply with quote
snl67 wrote:
I agree with the article, but I must admit the show frustrated me. Why? Incomplete shows drive me crazy, and this felt like a video advertisement for the manga. The fact that the manga didn't really finish the story either makes me glad I didn't pick the manga up.

In this particular case, the visual style and uniqueness of the story may off-set the 'sudden no-ending' factor for a viewer. It did for me. 'Alien Nine' is narrative-wise, more or less, focused on illustrating the 'feelings' of puberty, rather than a conventional story of 'What happens to Character X? In that sense the OVA is successful in providing an entertaining perspective/ride, if not a complete traditional story-line.

You are right that a lot of folks won't like the fast/no end, but at the same time 'Alien Nine' provides a visually imaginative run and an actually clever narrative, and there's not a lot of anime that can boast that.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:21 pm Reply with quote
There are a few typos in the review as it stands:

* "alien fighter"/"Alien fighter"/"Alien Fighter"—capitalized or not?
* "my licking your naked back"—"by"
* "intorduced" for "introduced"
* "pastel color pallate"—"palette"

Anime smile + sweatdrop
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Alien Nine is definitely something of an acquired taste. Here's a funny recording story of it about Sharon "Utena's Anthy" Becker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqYgbRER2gs
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:15 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Quote:
Just think of me as the columnist with an inner ear problem.

Just remember to listen to the words of Wally the "Don't Do Things That Might Irritate Your Inner Ear" Badger.

I guess he doesn't belong on the Island of Misfit Mascots after all...
icepick314

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:33 pm Reply with quote
it's one of those anime that looks cute but it's quite dark and has some major psychological twists here and there...

i bought the DVD/manga collection and Alien Nine Emulators LOOONG time ago and it's one of my favorite series...

i miss CPM already but i'm glad i picked up all the titles i liked from them before the crash....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I heard a few good things about this awhile back, almost picked it up but decided that it looked like a bland loli series and didn't.

Now I regret my assumptions... *adds to his "to see eventually" list*
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I've been wanting to buy this for years but never got around to it. good thing its easy to find and cheaply priced unlike other oop titles on amazon. $180 for aura battler dunbine volume 11 anyone?? Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4