• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Alien Nine

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:18 pm Reply with quote
O-chan wrote:
In the end, this is far far far more disturbing than anything Evangelion could of hoped to accomplish. It's amazing how it falls under the radar.

Scary stuff. If this is the sort of post-Evangelion plot device I can expect, then needless to say it's best I avoid this title for the sake of my mentality. I don't want a feeling of unease to linger too long after watching a given show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Prede

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
O-chan wrote:
In the end, this is far far far more disturbing than anything Evangelion could of hoped to accomplish. It's amazing how it falls under the radar.

Scary stuff. If this is the sort of post-Evangelion plot device I can expect, then needless to say it's best I avoid this title for the sake of my mentality. I don't want a feeling of unease to linger too long after watching a given show.

Ah that's a real shame, because this is an excellent title. Yeah it's very confuseing, surreal (great dream sequences BTW, surprised Justin didn't really comment on them), and a feeling of uneasiness does linger a bit, it's still well worth a watch.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Prede wrote:
Ah that's a real shame, because this is an excellent title. Yeah it's very confuseing, surreal (great dream sequences BTW, surprised Justin didn't really comment on them), and a feeling of uneasiness does linger a bit, it's still well worth a watch.

Agree totally. Out of a top 20 list of anime that should be seen at least once, Alien 9 in my view would be in it, probably around 13 or 14 in rank.
Dissonance was mentioned earlier, perfect word to describe this. Such a huge disconnect between tone and subject matter.
Apashi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Wow Alien Nine! That takes me back. It was actually the summer of 2003 (best summer of my life btw) that I picked up alien nine. To this day it's one of the weirdest anime I've ever seen. But geez, first Lain and now this? I feel so old knowing their both out of print.
Prede

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Apashi wrote:
Wow Alien Nine! That takes me back. It was actually the summer of 2003 (best summer of my life btw) that I picked up alien nine. To this day it's one of the weirdest anime I've ever seen. But geez, first Lain and now this? I feel so old knowing their both out of print.

Don't feel too bad Wink . I knew about some of his Buried Treasures before as well (like this one for example lol). Alien Nine and Lain are not that far buried I guess hehe. But they both should be watched...great titles.
daedelus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:31 am Reply with quote
Something seemed familiar about this title, so I went to my local Fry's Electronics. Lo and behold, I found one copy in their clearance section for $8.99. I'll be watching it tomorrow. Smile
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Devil Doll wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
I read an interesting critique, one time, about this show. It described the show as a surreal depiction of young girls entering puberty and adulthood at an earlier age as the rest of their class.
Then what about this one?
http://anime.mikomi.org/episode/914/Will.html
(warning: lots of spoilers)

Wow, that was it, actually. It was on a different site, but that was it.

A long and interesting account on the whole matter, I felt.
khaos1019

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Don't know if anyone already posted this but rightstuf has the single volume on sale for $4.99 this week. The boxset with the manga is $18.74. I ordered it!
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:15 am Reply with quote
khaos1019 wrote:
Don't know if anyone already posted this but rightstuf has the single volume on sale for $4.99 this week. The boxset with the manga is $18.74. I ordered it!

And since there's no 'quantity remaining' on how many they have left on this sweet deal, then obviously there's plenty of fresh copies to still go around, and I'm surprised Justin makes no mention of it. So what's everyone else waiting for?
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Easily more disturbing than anything Evangelion manages to accomplish in large part because of a concerted effort at a highly unsettling tone. And even having said that, its not really what the you expect even if you go in knowing that. Its still awfully surprising overall.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Prede

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:55 pm Reply with quote
dangerwhat wrote:
Easily more disturbing than anything Evangelion manages to accomplish in large part because of a concerted effort at a highly unsettling tone. And even having said that, its not really what the you expect even if you go in knowing that. Its still awfully surprising overall.

I agree, this is much more distburing then NGE ever was. But that doesn't make it better then NGE, at least for me I like NGE much better. This is however a very good title.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:10 am Reply with quote
Prede wrote:
But that doesn't make it better then NGE, at least for me I like NGE much better.

You can't compare anything to NGE without someone saying this. Razz
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:18 am Reply with quote
Essedus wrote:
There always been ONE thing bugging about this anime/manga. Why the hell do they use six graders to fight aliens?
i don't think an in-universe answer is ever supplied, you're right.
but i guess the obvious general answer is the whole set-up is an extended allegory of puberty. (the characters in the manga seem to be being replaced by aliens, and it becomes hard to say - even for them - whether they're retaining their identities or not).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4