• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Detective Conan's Akira Kamiya to Leave Kogoro Mouri Role

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Araki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Shouldn't be too much entitlement-outrage wank over this, I don't think Conan's much of an "otaku" show in Japan. The main target market might not even notice.

Judging by the amount of responses to the post on his blog, i doubt it.
Ranmah

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:00 pm Reply with quote
That really sucks. I loved hearing Kamiya-san's voice every time I watched Conan. He was one of my fav voice actors.
It is understandable that he would have to leave. It leaves a huge gap in the Conan storyline. I am sure Aoyama-san can think of something.

I still remember him as the perv Saeba Ryo from City Hunter (a classic anime).

It could be any number of reasons, health or family. He is a veteran VA and I salute him for all his hard work. I guess after a while you need to take a rest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mrsatan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
This is really bizarre. He also quit playing Kenshiro in 2001 and quit playing Kinnikuman in 2002. I've been trying to find out why he's been quitting these roles for years, but haven't found any answers.
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Araki wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:
Shouldn't be too much entitlement-outrage wank over this, I don't think Conan's much of an "otaku" show in Japan. The main target market might not even notice.

Judging by the amount of responses to the post on his blog, i doubt it.

Except the target market is kids and families -- who are generally not the people who frequent message boards to discuss the voices behind the animation.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:57 pm Reply with quote
That's unfortunate. I'm curious as to why he's leaving, but I suppose he must have his reasons, especially if he's not mentioning them.

It wasn't until recently that I even started watching Detective Conan in the Japanese language, but I feel like both the Japanese and English voices fit the character well. I can imagine it will be weird to long-time viewers to hear a different voice in the role.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
lupinvash3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote
It's sad that he'll be gone from the show. He is one of the best in that show.

I'm not sure who is gonna replace. If I were the casting directors, I would try to use Chiba Shigeru. He would come close to sounding like Mouri Kogoro. Actually, if you think about it, Kogoro's voice would kinda remind you of Chiba Shigeru's voice a bit. If Chiba does get the role, he'll have to cut down on the high sometime girlish squeals that he sometimes used in the gag roles, like as Kuwabara or Buggy the Clown.
jhuhn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:52 pm Reply with quote
What a way to retire from the role on his 63rd birthday.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:34 am Reply with quote
That's a major blow to the show IMO ! Having one of the top seiyuu and main characters depart the show after 13 years isn't surly a plus. While i am dying to know what the hell happened i hope that whoever replaces him for the rest of the show can give the same feeling of the character. I would pick one of the following 3:

Chiba Shigeru
Hiroya Ishimaru
Sho Hayami

Though i am not sure if they're cheaper/much cheaper than Akira since they're also veterans.

I can imagine Kogoro punching Conan on the head and shouting Rocketo Punch (by Hiroya Ishimaru) Laughing

For Akira, i hope that he returns to his favorite role one more time at least (Saeba Ryo) in a new special/ season for City Hunter or Angel Heart.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:33 am Reply with quote
You'd think he'd at least hint at why's he's no longer doing the voices for the sake of his fans.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:50 pm Reply with quote
The fact that no one in this thread mentioned Ryoma nagare makes me very, very sad.. Crying or Very sad
Haiyami

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm shocked that they picked Rikiya Koyama for Mori Kogoro's role. I mean he's better at playing the serious, bushido type roles (samurai warrior type).

I still can't get used to Rikiya Koyama being Kogoro. I wonder if he's there for good or if he's a temporary replacement while they are looking for a better voice actor.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Man, Rikiya Koyama has the acting ability and voice control to be able to pull of the antics of Kogoro. Check out his work as Shinigami-sama in Soul Eater, Yamamoto in Naruto, and Takamura in Hajime no Ippo. He can play it straight, explode, have emotion. He is really filling out the role just fine.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2