• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - My Neighbor Tatara

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:47 am Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:
YES!! YOU BASHED THE TEA BAGGERS!! dang it! i can't believe that. i always had such a negative view of you Zac.. i dunno, you just seem like such an elitist.. like such an anime snob.

but like, me and you agree on so much... i can't believe you called out the ignorant racist tea baggers and their protest last saturday, that was just awesome.

Because disagreeing with the current administration which happens to be run by a black man = racism. Yeah. Tell me, can you honestly explain why what went on at the tea party was racist, or did you just learn that word from MSNBC?

There's more I could say, but quite honestly I'm so tired of every single media outlet I try to enjoy perpetually attacking my political beliefs with sweeping generalizations while childishly flinging around words like 'racist' and 'facist', words which have now almost lost all meaning due to their gross overuse, that I won't get into it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:57 am Reply with quote
I can't really see AKB48 drawing in alot of anime otakus. (I too, have never heard of them.) But youtube always reminds me that there is a whole other fanbase who love J-Pop or Korean musicians that don't have an anime opening or closing song. Heck, my cousin reminds me that you can love that stuff and still not like anime. So I think there is gonna be quite a mix of a 3rd fanbase at New York.

I might be effected from all the nerd rage of the internet and gaming forums but I can't help but image that Robot Chicken skit with the Star Wars fans and Star Trek fans fight; but instead its with Otakus and fanboys. Spider-Man versus Kakashi? Pictures please. Hell, even its all nice and friendly (which I hope for) I still want pictures. It be hilarious if 2 Kakashi cosplayers fight a Spider-Man fan in costume. Or a Jedi versus a Bleach character. Or an Ouran fan getting attacked by a twilight fan. Or 2 trigun cosplayer fans but each of them here for the other con. *tear* live the dream...

Also I hope the anime half tires hard to advertise Eden of the East to the comic book side. In hopes of grabbing music fans and Twilight fans and whatnot. It has the universal approach that shouldn't turn off or deter alot of non-anime fans. Being able to play the Oasis Theme would be great.

Oddly enough, if my place caught fire and I had to rescue a anime set (honestly I probably just let it burn and save my laptop or ps3. or maybe jus the Hard drives since I have protection plans for both) I'd probably save my Cardcaptor DVD bundles purily for sentimental reasons. They were my first imports ever and it was the series that made me wonder "Hey, this US dub seems weird. It jumps around alot. And seems to be more about the girl then the boy... Has this been edited? I remember DBZ got edited a little but..." and so forth. Like alot of US fans in the 90's, DBZ got me interested in anime but my curiosity to find unedited series and to collect anime in general stemmed from Cardcaptors. Even though its the only Magical girls series I own and I don't watch the genre all that much... weird.

As a Christian, I personally have no problems with series having creative interpretations of a religions history or mythology or idealology. I actually rather enjoy them. Really I would be more upset with a series if it was so in your face with it's "Hey this way is right, all other are wrong" or "God is so good" unless it really served the storyline or plot well. Great, God is good. So how did that make this character a better or worse person? Does it shape who the character is and what he or she does or is it the stereotypical 'ignorant or blind' follower type? Is there two sides to the same coin? Ideals or principles of that religion crossing over into the good or bad qualities of another person unaffilated with that religion? Show me that stuff. But if its just gonna be some raving religious fanatic that's there just to get slapped upside the head for that episode which everyone including the characters involved are going to forget about come next week? Then no thank you. That's pointless.

And with the whole racism thing and tea party stuff. It really depends if your opinions stem from "oh noes the death panel; or hey this will make me pay for illegal immigrants even though we already are; or it'll put us in debt even though we were already but I'm getting upset now cause someone said something about this" bs or the more legit "Outside of the additional cost, its possible to create higher taxes that may hurt middle class citizens and might not do enough to give them benefits or deductables over low income citizens. Or it doesn't do enough for tax deductables for the possible increase in living cost when it becomes mandatory and raises other taxes" and so forth. If your the former, STFU. If your the latter, then you got a point so you can talk and demonstrate all you want. Unfortunately it seems like its the former that talk the loudest, drowning out the more rational latter. In either case I'm none of the above nor the other side or whatever cause I F***ing hate all this politic BS going on right now on all sides and just tired of it all.

Damn I wrote alot! Shall I invoke the Wall of Text? Twisted Evil

Last edited by TatsuGero23 on Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:41 pm; edited 4 times in total
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:42 am Reply with quote
Those entrepreneuers sound rather terrifying. Yeah, they probably aren't bad people but they can't be taken seriously either. If anime is your life, you'll never work in it.

18+ for AKB48... I shudder at what the audience is probably expecting.

Wow, I actually have a great deal in common with Zac as far as American media goes, both TV and movies. I wonder if he watches "The Soup" too. The only thing that goes better with bottom-of-the-barrel TV is Joel McHale's skewering of it on a weekly basis. I wonder if he's seen (500) Days of Summer yet. Best movie of the year so far for me and will hopefully be seen in the future as this generation's Annie Hall.

Color me surprised that most anime fans are neoconservatives. I'd think they were smarter than that but then I remember how most people act at cons and I realize no they are not. Still, I think Zac paints the brush a bit too broadly. Too many people voted for Obama to be doing this nine months later. I understand America is a fickle nation but this is really stretching it. Yes, there are neoconservatives in spades at those tea parties, but there are independents and traditional conservatives too, and people just genuinely furious with how Obama has run his first year in office and rightfully so. Painting everyone there as a greedy racist isn't the way to go about this.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

Lesbian make-out sessions? Surprised

I heard one of the members of AKB48 (I forgot which team though) gets really flirty and pervy with the other girls and sometimes ends up with her kissing them. Some of their pop songs tend to be yuri love declarations (it's mostly for show anyways). You can get better info at that thread titled "AKB48 Compilation Thread" in the Shoujoai.com forums.
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Now that I think about it I think I have heard about AKB48 before--I think someone linked me to something on youtube before, but I'm alergic to most Japanese music I didn't make that connection while listening to the podcast... (Can't get to 'tube from work so I can't confirm.)

Quote:
As a Christian, I personally have no problems with series having creative interpretations of a religions history or mythology or idealology. I actually rather enjoy them. Really I would be more upset with a series if it was so in your face with it's "Hey this way is right, all other are wrong" or "God is so good" unless it really served the storyline or plot well. Great, God is good. So how did that make this character a better or worse person? Does it shape who the character is and what he or she does or is it the stereotypical 'ignorant or blind' follower type? Is there two sides to the same coin? Ideals or principles of that religion crossing over into the good or bad qualities of another person unaffilated with that religion? Show me that stuff. But if its just gonna be some raving religious fanatic that's there just to get slapped upside the head for that episode which everyone including the characters involved are going to forget about come next week? Then no thank you. That's pointless.
Pretty much where I stand as well. The majority of anime has a world view that doesn't line up with my Christian beliefs, but unless something (be it anime, music, literature, whatever) is intentional, blatant, and spiteful in attempts to riddicule religion (I can handle snark to an extent), I can and do still try to enjoy it for whatever it is.

Quote:
Color me surprised that most anime fans are neoconservatives.
Isn't this a bit of a stretch?
captainbanana

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:22 pm Reply with quote
GMSenpai wrote:
captainbanana wrote:
Anyway, thanks for making the ANN podcast. This is the only podcast on anime I've ever listened to that didn't feature the words "Kawaii" "Desu" "Chan" or one white guy referring to another white guy as "whatever-kun" without being ironic. While I've never met any sizable number of conservative anime fans, I've met scores of ultra-liberal, "If it's not Japanese, it's crap" Japanophile fans, and they are just as bad if not worse.

Wow really? What kinda podcasts are you finding? There's a variety of anime podcasts that don't go all weeboo on you. Half a dozen, including ANNcast, come to mind almost immediately. I am aware of the hypocrisy of my forum name having an honorific.. so spare me. If someone called me that in real life I'd probably be very, very confused... just as if someone called me by a character name in a game I was playing.

As for the politics in fandom and this goes for any fandom, politics are left at the door for me. If someone brings up a political topic I usually avoid it if the previous conversation was about the last 5 anime series I just saw.

As for the context of there being 'liberal and conservative' otaku... I can understand that. But I put that in the context of fanboy/elitism. Fanboys are unable to see anything beyond what they believe is the greatest thing on earth and heaven help you if you go against them. Elitists believe themselves to be the gospel of all things in their particular fan base and don't acknowledge you as a fan if you don't agree with their own view 100% and do not believe that there is discussion to their ideals. The best way to deal with people like that is to always keep an open mind on everything you can and avoid getting caught up in someone who can't see the merits of series you enjoy vs. series that person may enjoy and people who think if you watch anime dubbed that you're some kind of 'poser'.

I'll admit, I was being a bit hyperbolic. It's been a while since I last listened to an anime related podcast, but I can remember some really awful ones from a couple of years ago. Most of them were done by fan sites, and a couple of them were done by fansub groups (though they were more "Anime Radio Show" than "podcast"). In any case, none of them had actual industry members, and none of them were nearly as professionally done as the first few episodes of the ANNCast have been (even if Justin regaled us with his hentai watching habits at one point).

Anyway, thanks again guys.
bigheart711

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

Unless there's excessive blood or a giant inflatable penis roaming around the area, I don't think anything explicit will happen on the AKB48 concert.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I think Zac pretty well demonstrated why I don't discuss my political or religious beliefs in anime fandom. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop Great podcast, though!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I have a anime character I relate to in my University teacher card.... Confused

Its not a cat girl thou... more like a kind-a-creepy one...
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

Wow, I actually have a great deal in common with Zac as far as American media goes, both TV and movies. I wonder if he watches "The Soup" too. The only thing that goes better with bottom-of-the-barrel TV is Joel McHale's skewering of it on a weekly basis. I wonder if he's seen (500) Days of Summer yet. Best movie of the year so far for me and will hopefully be seen in the future as this generation's Annie Hall.

I think I just found a friend.

(500) Days of Summer was my favorite movie this year too X3 it was just a really refreshing romantic comedy. realistic too.
and I watch "The Soup" every week as well. I don't watch alot of TV, but it's like the one show I refuse to miss
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Hunter Sopko wrote:
On the next episode of ANNCast, Justin leaves the Band of the Hawk to seek his own fame and fortune after hearing Zac's admission that he could never be friends with someone who serves under him.

ok, now that was funny.

I also agree, that we should not bring political discussion into anime content. Then the forums become just a back and forth of two people who refuse to change their opinions even if they are wrong. in other words, lets take the political narrow-mindedness elsewhere.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
Quote:
i can't believe you called out the ignorant racist tea baggers and their protest last saturday

It's great to see the intelligence and rational thought that went into this statement. Way to elevate the discourse. Rolling Eyes

I wish you guys wouldn't have dragged politics into an anime discussion. Observing trends is one thing, but ignorant bashing of Glenn Beck and ordinary citizens who are opposed to big government is uncalled for.

Let's leave the political bomb throwing to other sites. I get enough of that elsewhere.

HAAAAAA -HAHAHA!!!!

Irony, Dude, look into it. Very Happy

I'll explain if you want me to, but I may have used up my word count for the next couple of months.

Here's a clue: in your reply, you even used the same (arguably) objectionable word used in the quote you sited.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:

Because disagreeing with the current administration which happens to be run by a black man = racism. Yeah. Tell me, can you honestly explain why what went on at the tea party was racist, or did you just learn that word from MSNBC?

Hm maybe it was the signs with the President's head pasted on an African witch doctor.

Oh or maybe the signs that said 'Obama is your new massa on his plantation!" No I am not making that up. http://i32.tinypic.com/29onxgg.jpg

Or all the signs depicting the president as a monkey.

Not to mention all the signs and protestors insisting the president is a muslim. What's that based on? Facts? Evidence of any kind? No. They're racist and full of ignorant hate. Period.

Not to mention the entire thing was whipped up by a guy who called the president a "racist" with a "deep-seeded hatred for white culture". Hm yes clearly this is all "ignorant bashing of Glenn Beck"!

And hey, if the racism wasn't bad enough, there are always the countless incredibly tasteless and vile signs depicting the president as Hitler. Or the "I came unarmed... this time!!" signs.

Oh, and then there was the "Biden '09" sign. Think about that for a moment. If even a shred of you is like "heh, right on" to that one, congratulations, you are despicable.

I make absolutely no apologies for trashing these horrible people, no matter what the venue.

Yeah yeah, I'm sure there are a handful of non-insane racist conservatives who attended the event, and I'm sure you're one of them, but if that's the case then you need to seriously tap your fellow teabaggers on the shoulder and tell them to drop the racist hateful violence-inciting crap and protest whatever it is they're actually so "scared" of or so "worried" about. Because right now the public face of the teabag movement is an angry racist screaming diabetic holding up a defaced picture of the president with a bunch of nonsensical conflicting "scary" misspelled political ideologies like "FASISM SOCALEST".

It's rare that something like this will ever come up on the podcast again, but as I said before, I make no apologies this time. You'll all live, I'm sure.

Quote:

There's more I could say, but quite honestly I'm so tired of every single media outlet I try to enjoy perpetually attacking my political beliefs with sweeping generalizations

Uhhh, there's one media outlet that I think is on your side there bud.

It's the #1 news channel in the country, actually!
animeboy12

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Not that I'm trying to stir up a fight but is the fan bashing gonna stop soon? I dunno, I really wanna listen to the podcast, as it's my anime podcast, but there's certainly there's more to talk about another than ,fans are douchey, idiots ,and/or crazy. I'm not saying you guys aren't talking about other stuff, but I wish you could talk about the other things more.

Anyway great podcast
hakojo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I make absolutely no apologies for trashing these horrible people, no matter what the venue.

Nor should you, because I sure as hell don't condone them either. However, of the hundreds, possibly thousands, of people I saw in person last Saturday, only one of them was carrying a sign anything close to what you described - it was a woman complaining about the birth certificate thing.

Your media channels show you what they want you to see. I was hanging around in the vicinity of the CNN van for a while, and I can tell you for a fact that they were specifically hunting out the crazies to film and photograph. If you had been there, you would have seen that those people do not represent us. What I saw was hundreds of thousands of people who are concerned about how big the government has gotten (all the way back through the Bush administration), who feel that their representatives in government aren't representing their interests, and who are concerned about the recent upswing in spending (again, back through the Bush administration as well).

Also, it's okay to depict Bush as Hitler (a war protest staple for the last eight years), but Obama as Hitler is off limits? I detect a double standard.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5