• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Body Found with Clothes Resembling Shin-chan Creator's

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Case wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Why waste money on DNA when dental records would likely suffice?

If he fell from high and landed on his face, then dental ID may be difficult to impossible. At the least a reconstruction would have to take place, and that might take longer than a DNA test. I believe DNA tests can come out in as little as two days.

Not that it matters, but if the person in question - should it be Usui or somebody else - has only been dead 2-3 days, and it located in a secluded area, a review of the clothes, contents of the pockets, and a look at the remains by a spouse should be all it takes to identify them. The expense involved with checking dental records or DNA would probably be an unneeded waste.

But they have to reach the body first, and according to Update 2 the Shimonita police won't be able to recover the body until Sunday. (Currently is 6:30am Sunday morning in Japan.)

If it's Usui, he's most likely been dead for a week. He went missing on the 11th, which would mean that they probably WOULD want to do DNA testing, if the body has been sitting there that long, and they're not gonna go get him until tomorrow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tyciol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:33 pm Reply with quote
It's cases like this where it's a positive thing to hope that someone robbed him of his clothes because then maybe we just lost some clothes-theif and he will show up some day naked and alive and ready to continue making masterpieces.
ShindoW

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:39 pm Reply with quote
This is probably considered high profile in Japan, I'm sure the family will be notified in advance, but the news probably won't get the confirmed ID until they've done at least 2 of said tests/identifications...

I almost cried when I read this. It seems just yesterday my gf and I were talking about the multitudes of ShinChan movies and if there were going to be more...

And by the off chance it isn't him, and even if it is, that is a horrible way to go, especially if you're afraid of heights (*guilty*). I hope he didn't suffer...
ShindoW

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Sorry about the triple post. Said it wasnt going through.

Last edited by ShindoW on Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
ShindoW

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:41 pm Reply with quote
... ><;
Pocky_aDDict

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote
It's already been mentioned how this will impact the anime community, but even Korean fans are already shocked about this news, according to this article:
http://news.searchina.ne.jp/disp.cgi?y=2009&d=0919&f=national_0919_034.shtml

He will be surely missed if all the clues are right. Crying or Very sad
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I hope it's not the case, but if Usui-san did die, it's nice to know there are more fans interested in his work than during the C1 years. Back then, no one was buying the manga. And I'm guessing the reason was they thought the covers meant the content was "kiddie". So the anime's been very helpful for the series. Thus, I hope, if something did happen to him, FUNi and CMX will honor the guy's memory on future volumes.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:05 pm Reply with quote
InuNaruPokeAlchemist wrote:
You have to cautious everywhere, including your own house. With all that is said on the news these days, nowhere is safe.

Yeah, but you can't be paranoid either. There is a risk involved in everything, but that shouldn't be a reason to drastically change your lifestyle. I don't know that I'd recommend hiking alone in the Karuizawa area, but by all means, still go hiking.
Bara_Megami

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Wow, so tragic. Shin-chan is a hilarious manga and I really recommend it, especially if you're only familiar with the Americanized anime series (Even though the CMX translation has references to Jessica Alba Anime hyper).

My thoughts go out to his family. This is an unexpected and saddening event.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Unfortunately decomposition when a body remains exposed to the elements and insects can render it difficult to identify in a time as short as 48 hours. Exposed as this body is, it's likely decomp was in full swing within a few hours. After a week, it's very likely the body would be in a condition that "remains" would be an accurate term.

And there are scavengers of the animal variety also...

RIP whoever the body belongs to.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Wow. This is horrifying. I noticed the news that he was missing and I'm still hoping for the best. It's hard to imagine that a creator so full of life would lose his.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:59 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Wow. This is horrifying. I noticed the news that he was missing and I'm still hoping for the best. It's hard to imagine that a creator so full of life would lose his.
I don't know why. It happens nearly every second somewhere round the world. There's nothing to suggest it was suicide, it could very well be a tragic accident.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:19 pm Reply with quote
InuNaruPokeAlchemist wrote:
You have to cautious everywhere, including your own house. With all that is said on the news these days, nowhere is safe.

Now there's an example of someone who looks to the sides of the road 4 times before crossing.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In particular, Usui is said to have expressed his intent to climb the Arafune mountain, which towers 1,422 meters (4,665 feet) high at the border between Nagano and Gunma Prefectures.

The report said he expressed his intent for climbing the mountain.He knew the risks and went anyway. I applaud him for actually leaving his comfort zone and exploring other things in life. If it's what he wanted, then he knew the risks. I respect the man for his work, but people do what people do. Nothing about that is sad.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I wish, by some slim chance, this didn't turn out to be him, but it's too much of a coincidence to not be him.

I liked his work- well, at least what they dubbed on CN.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6