• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bill C-11 in Canada could jeopardize Canadians

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhuhn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:50 pm Reply with quote
If this bill C-11 becomes Royal Assent, it could be a felony to copy music from a CD to an iPod, or tablet. Same applies to DVD & Blu-ray discs.

I know for a fact that millions of Canadians are opposed to this bill.

If you're from Canada and reading this, E-Mail your MP and vote this bill down, so you can copy your anime songs & show for the private and fair use, or Canadians will soon be losing a part of their freedom.
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Though I am not a Canadian, that seems like a very weird law. It almost sounds as though it is attempting to discourage the sales of Compact Discs, though I'm aware that's probably not the reason for it. That would probably be an unintended consequence, though.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:40 am Reply with quote
That law makes no sense.........how can it be a felony for putting music, from a CD you PURCHASED, onto your iPod? You can't share songs through an iPod as it will just erase the library when you try to sync through iTunes on another computer. Plus people these days buy iPods for their music listening pleasures so it would be pointless to buy CD's. And since nobody wants to waste their money on something they can't listen to then CD sales will completely decrease in sales. Most people will only want a digital format of a song for their iPods/computer. CD players are pretty much a thing in the past.

This so called bill won't fall through.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashna

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:26 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm not entirely sure that compact discs will completely die as people have predicted. For that matter, LPs are still manufactured, and I am a proud owner of a record player myself. Nevertheless, I do believe that if you have purchased a CD you have every right to produce a version of it to listen to it on an MP3 player, providing that you aren't attempting to do anything else with that digital data. As you already mentioned, an actual brand name iPod erases a library when an alien system is used to sync it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1