• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Nabari no Go

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panda Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:05 pm Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
great poster collection...

i would LOVE to have few of those Haruhi Suzumiya and Lucky Star posters myself...
Maybe we can do a joint operation and borrow them from him for the rest of his life.

I like the posters, but I myself am more of a wall scroll and figure guy.

Also, if the Shelf Obsessed guy for this week reads this, DVDs take up a lot of space. I have had to switch shelves 3 times already in the past year.
Swissman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If there is one thing worth noting about the series, though, it's the backgrounds. All painted in soft-hued watercolors, the backgrounds look like they were taken from a quaint children's storybook, like Winnie the Pooh. Except in this version, instead of having cute woodland creatures, you have generic-looking anime ninjas leaping around foggy cities, throwing shuriken at each other. It's a little hard to get used to. At times, the palette seems so washed out that it's distracting. Also, it's not entirely clear what they were going for. The settings aren't particularly whimsical or magical, so the artistic reasoning behind the choice isn't entirely obvious.

Sounds like the background art is from Kobayashi Productions. I like their washed-out watercolor style, especially in shows like Aoi Hana or KimiKiss Pure Rouge, but it also works very good in fantasy anime like Figure 17, at least for me. In general, Kobayashi Prod. background art gives an anime a softer yet still stylized touch and reminds me of manga. Many people however prefer more "realistic" looking backgrounds, which can also can be quite hit or miss, depending on the show's budget.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
Sounds like the background art is from Kobayashi Productions. I like their washed-out watercolor style, especially in shows like Aoi Hana or KimiKiss Pure Rouge, but it also works very good in fantasy anime like Figure 17, at least for me. In general, Kobayashi Prod. background art gives an anime a softer yet still stylized touch and reminds me of manga. Many people however prefer more "realistic" looking backgrounds, which can also can be quite hit or miss, depending on the show's budget.

I'm a fan of both styles, actually, it depends on the show. A lot of people hate the watercolor-style backgrounds, but to me, if used well, they can be absolutely beautiful. I'm not sure whether they were the right choice for Nabari no Ou, but they're by no means ugly.

Comments left have convinced me I should look at the manga if I want the story to move on to the good stuff a little faster. True or false?
Taiyz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I find it strange how the ninjas of Nabari were passed off as "generic." If there's one striking thing about Nabari, it's the very...Modern take on ninjas, for better or for worse. The so-called H&M photoshoot ninjas are far from generic.

Then again, it also raises the Naruto question of what ninjas probably shouldn't be wearing.

JairStout wrote:
That's the problem with Kurokami as well. The main character just watches a pretty little girl get beat on in every episode. He just stands there, even though, like Miharu, he has special powers.
He has a laser ring that never really seems to deal damage unless he can trigger something in the environment. Apart from that he's a normal guy going up against superhumans. I often want him to do something awesome too, but at the same time, it's like what COULD he do? Presumably humans in The Noble Ones have some combat training, but again, Keita doesn't have the benefit of that either. Then there's the fact that his energy is always being drained or something or other, so he's usually weaker than he should be.

The cards are against him doing anything useful, so I don't pay his lack of action much notice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheTheory

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I watched Nabari no Oi on fansub up through episode 17 and enjoyed it... though about that time I stopped doing the fansub thing all together (dropping my beloved Soul Eater at the same time... c'mon FUNI, when are we getting those DVDs??). I think the show has to be watched more as a (dare I say) romance than an action show or ninja show. I found the relationship between what's-his-face and what's-his-name to be much more important than who wins what.

One thing I'd say is that while by-and-large the plot is functional without being TOO exciting... unlike most other conflicts in various narratives, there isn't a clear-cut good side vs bad side. And I think Nabari's apathy helps to highlight that this is a conflict where each side is just as selfish as the other--it is just a few of the sides are more prone to more extreme methods. This ambiguity helps to make the show rather thought-provoking... a nice change of pace from Naruto and most other Shonen.

Anyway, I will buy these Nabari sets... though largely to pay off my fansub debt more than anything. What I'm really excited about from reading the article is The Big Windup. I hate sports shows and movies with a passion, despite loving sports. But the description of this sounds almost perfect. I'll definitely be checking it out.

Last edited by TheTheory on Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gorbal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:29 pm Reply with quote
This was the most entertaining anime series I have seen this year? The animation is top notch and the jokes are hilarious. I can understand it wouldn't appeal to everyone, but it is definately NOT a snoozefest.

I would say it probably would appeal more to josei than shonen fans though, as there is an emphases on relationships and storytelling and less on wham bam action.

The manga is the best drawn I have yet seen IMHO. It might have been better adapted as a film, but in my point of view it is epic storytelling that has been under appreciated.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quote
There's a bit of drama in part 2, but on the whole I agree on the story of Nabari no Ou. The only thing I think it did objectively well is the shades of gray all sides of the conflict are given. It's nice when a series has antagonists that aren't completely black and white and Nabari does this pretty well.

There's also the depiction of Yoite's condition also has a few really nice visual and sound cues. There's one scene in the first half (I think) where Yoite is talking to his friend and it cuts to his POV, and the screen just starts going fuzzy and you start hearing this loud, high-pitched noise cutting into his friend's dialogue, and all of Yoite's is muffled completely.

So yeah, there's a few minor things in the show that are nice, and I wouldn't call it generic, but on the whole it's not really that good either.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I absolutly love your Inuyasha, Naruto, Pokemon, and Fullmetal Alchemist stuff.
bci110

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Props to Bamboo for supporting good baseball! Now if we can have some of that good baseball here in Cleveland I'll be all set Laughing .
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't like Baseball that much it bores me to death, but Big Windup looks like a title I would be willing to give a watch. I'll either get a copy off of Netflix or watch it on Funi's website.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:16 pm Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:
And the main character grates on my nerves with his apathy. I mean, the very first episode he gets saved like 4 times and each time is an ungrateful bastard, or he disappears! Hoo boy, sooo funny. I'd like to smack him.

vashfanatic wrote:
But the plot in the first half was rather bland. It does show some promise with a few interesting elements, especially the odd relationship between Miharu and Yoite, not to mention its position that none of these ninjas can really be considered "good guys" or "bad guys."

Yeah, those seem to about sum up what I thought of the episode FUNi threw up (debatable on if it should be hypenated) On Demand, though it looks like unlocking a few more episodes wouldn't have saved it based on these reviews. It's never a good sign when you have to rewind that many times in one ep because you keep konking out.
Quote:
Unfortunately, this also means that there won't be a Shelf Life next week, but we can all party at Javitz, so no tears have to be shed.

There are for us not heading up, but I look forward to your review of Blassreiter after getting back. This one drew a real stunned stare trying to figure out where they were going with this one. Should be interesting to see how unlocking more eps would shake out in this one.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I just got my Big Windup season 1 part 2 dvd in the mail today. I cannot wait to watch it. It's a really enjoyable show.

I have never watched an episode of Dragonball or Dragonball Z, so I'm really interested in the season 1 box set, especially since it got a Bamboo Shelf Worthy recommendation. It's time I learned about this Goku guy.
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I love this week's shelves -- err, walls -- especially the Bleach poster, the autographed Geass poster, the Taiga poster, and most of all, the poster of the sleeping TMoHS cast. So cute!
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:42 am Reply with quote
I agree 100% about Dragonball being better than DBZ. It's silly and charming and more about adventure than action. And who doesn't love tiny Krillin?

mufurc wrote:
sunflower wrote:
Um, isn't the whole point of Nabari no Ou that it's supposed to be a satire of ninja shows like Naruto? Nothing about it, IMO, is meant to be taken seriously. I think you're doomed to disappointment if you watch it expecting a serious action show. Humor, and poking at all the tropes of the genre, is the point.

Er, you're probably thinking of Ninnin ga shinobuden? Nabari no ou is not a parody of anything. It takes itself pretty seriously, it has a big dramatic story and everything, especially the manga (which I liked until it became a thinly veiled Yoite/Miharu love story).

I saw a large chunk of the anime, and I've only read the first volume of the manga. While I won't say it's a full on parody, there is definitely a lot of humor, and a lot of times the humor is sort of self aware (like Miharu's bishonen-ness being played for laughs), so I can see where sunflower is coming from.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:07 am Reply with quote
I actually enjoyed watching Nabari (up until the last few episodes, which I kind of hated). I found it interesting that I had more attachment to the "bad guys" than the "good guys". I don't think I'd buy the half-season box sets (I liked it, but not THAT much...), but I would maybe buy the complete box set, whenever that comes out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3