• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crackle Posts Rurouni Kenshin's English Samurai X Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote
After sampling a few episodes I noticed everyone seems to call him "Kenshi". Strange.

Other than the names being messed up, this dub didn't seem much worse than the Media Blasters one. The Animax dub and the MB dub both have many problems, just not always the same ones.

Is it bad that I've never heard of Crackle until now?
John Casey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Oh, dear.

....Oh, my.... Hmm.... Now, where is that gosh darned happy place of mine! I need it!
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:14 pm Reply with quote
This dub was controversial because a pirated copy got circulated around the VHS fansub scene at the time, and combined with the "Samurai X" name change, incited much fanboy rage. This dub predates the Bang Zoom/Media Blasters dub by a good 2-3 years. Nobody seems to know what studio did it, or who directed.

Given that there was no YouTube back then, I assume that most of the people that went nuts hating on this dub hadn't actually seen it, but just heard rumors. But nonetheless it was bad enough that Media Blasters felt that they had to redub it.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:15 pm Reply with quote
luhead wrote:
After sampling a few episodes I noticed everyone seems to call him "Kenshi". Strange.

Yeah, I noticed that too.

I really don't know how they messed up the script/ADR direction so badly...

Quote:

Same.

jsevakis wrote:
Nobody seems to know what studio did it, or who directed.

Now that's weird. Not even Sony, who owns it? They just kind of.. have it.. without even knowing where it came from? =/
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Oh, thanks for the information. How odd that the dub just exists, though.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I won't speak ill of Samurai X, because my first exposure to Rurouni Kenshin was the Spanish dub of the Samurai X version, and to my memory, it sounded pretty well.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
zulux211

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:56 am Reply with quote
I just checked out the first ep and due to kenshin being the same I was curious if there is a list of who voices who in this poorly scripted version of kenshin.

I think Brianne Siddall was one of the boys that was quitting from the school but i am bad at picking out voices Razz (unless its crispan freeman because he seems to be in everything ><)
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:47 am Reply with quote
Wonder why they needed two non-ADV dubs? They could've saved lots by just using the Media Blasters version.
The Mask

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:52 am Reply with quote
As someone who has been particularly used to watching the Sony dub of Samurai X here in Asia, I actually thought their voices were quite okay. And "Battousai the Slasher"? Yes, that's how we've known it here all these years, and I don't really have a complaint for that.

I do have a little peeve these days because of the changes made in pronouncing the names as well as some portions of the script. Still, it was quite fun to watch this version. Heck, I can't really adjust too well with the Rurouni Kenshin dub in the US, since I've been used to the Samurai X dub.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:26 pm Reply with quote
And, for once, it's Sony coming out of effing nowhere to show how online VOD should be done.

And nevermind this or...gag...Voltron, there's The Big guy and Rusty! I know that's not an anime but, hey! That's awesome!
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Wonder why they needed two non-ADV dubs? They could've saved lots by just using the Media Blasters version.

As stated above this dub was done a few years before MB brought RK, it was done for Animax and Sony used it when they tried to sell the show around the world, as I said before the Spanish Dubbed version of Samurai X was broadcasted in Puerto Rico and probably in other Latin American markets.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
This dub was controversial because a pirated copy got circulated around the VHS fansub scene at the time, and combined with the "Samurai X" name change, incited much fanboy rage. This dub predates the Bang Zoom/Media Blasters dub by a good 2-3 years. Nobody seems to know what studio did it, or who directed.

Given that there was no YouTube back then, I assume that most of the people that went nuts hating on this dub hadn't actually seen it, but just heard rumors. But nonetheless it was bad enough that Media Blasters felt that they had to redub it.

So Justin, if this dub was done three years earlier then that would date it 1996 or 1997 when many smaller dub ADR studios still had primitive dub efforts plus that would also place it around the time the show was still new in Japan. I guess in the latter 1990s in the days of freelance fansubbing, a poorly done mom and pop dub like this was bound to cause controversy.

The Bang Zoom version was done in 1999, BTW.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Man, this dub is gloriously awful. Everyone calling Kenshin "ken-shee" is so distracting and terrible. I was skipping around and caught a clip of "Yoshi" saying "Oh no, Ken-shee's blown his pagoda!!" and could not stop laughing.
SpaceDrake

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I imagine most people will hate on this dub in this day and age - and probably rightfully so, given how old it is. (For the record, a few people seem to be confused - this dub predates the one Media Blasters commissioned. In fact, this particular dub was produced practically in tandem with the release of the show in Japan and was broadcast in Australia and Southeast Asia.) A few names were changed for no particularly good reason (although they get much better about this later on) and the delivery can't really hold up in a lot of places. It's very much a product of the mid-90s, before everyone involved really took the production of a dub "seriously" as a lot of people in the industry do today. (You can hear the actors get better as the series goes on, though, due in part, I think, to them realizing just how good the show was.)

I still have a soft spot in my heart for this dub, though, since this particular production of Kenshin was the catalyst for my interest in animation produced in Japan, and my larger interest in animation as a storytelling medium. Mind that this is a completely uncut dub - and in the mid-90s, that was really quite rare. And yes, in Southeast Asia and Australia (I was living in Indonesia during the mid and late 90s) this was broadcast completely uncut on several networks and was wildly popular. I'm really surprised to see this online, as once the Media Blasters production was made I'd assumed this version was consigned to the dustbin of history. Despite how rough it is in places ("Yoshi", really?) I still dig having this available. It's an important part of my own understanding of animation and I'd had an itch to watch this version again every now and then.

For my money, though, despite the dub not being that good overall I hugely prefer this version's Sanosuke to the one in the Media Blasters production. Especially once the dub hits its stride in season two and onward, there's a lot of awesome "Sano Moments" where it's quite obvious that the man behind the voice (and I'm 90% sure this is a youthful Derek Stephen Prince) is enjoying himself and putting his all into it. The actual timbre of the voice matches the character a lot better than in the MB production as well, I think.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:16 pm Reply with quote
luhead wrote:

Crackle is sort of Sony's flash video site. I only know of it because it's something that is automatically on the PSP's RSS feed. I tend to download some random stuffages from Crackle onto my PSP via the RSS.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3