• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Conan O'Brien to Dub Anime on NBC's The Tonight Show

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:19 am Reply with quote
That was funny! They always crack me up!
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:49 am Reply with quote
Not quite as funny as last time, but still pretty good. I think Blood: TLV was also a better one to showcase anime to the public than GITS (which really just seemed to highlight nudity, violence, and........fish Wink ). Seems Bang-Zoom noticed some increased interest as well, so it'll be interesting to see if this one has any noticeable effect.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:38 am Reply with quote
I wonder what they will be dubbing this time. While one side of me liked the skit they did, the other side now is kinda upset they were mocking a popular form of entertainment.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:49 am Reply with quote
Was anyone else sort of baffled by why they were dubbing scenes that are already in English? Sure, the English dialog and acting sort of sucks, but redoing it in the original language is... odd. Also, Bang Zoom! does not "make" anime, they dub it; I assume that's a slip of the tongue.

As someone who wasn't a big fan of the "movie" to begin with, I thought their interpretation was a huge improvement. I laughed my head off over their dialog. I wonder if they got a chance to plan ahead this time.

Anyway, I for one vote that this is be a regular bit on the show from now on. Once every other month they go in and dub a well-known anime. I vote for something Evangelion next time.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:51 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
I vote for something Evangelion next time.

Well, they can only do anything that Bang Zoom has handled. So some recent potentials would be: Haruhi, Gurren Lagann, Ghost Slayers A., FLAG, etc.

As for dubbing scenes already in English, IIRC a company official once said they're legally obligated to do that for various reasons, probably due to licensing issues.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:40 am Reply with quote
joegundam00 wrote:
They do more than just dubbing, Bang Zoom also does audio mixing and up-converting. Looking at Manga Entertainment's November release schedule. Blood the Last Vampire is being released on Blu-ray. My best bet is that Bang Zoom is up-converting the audio to 7.1 for them.

Ah, I did not know that. Thanks for the info! As much as I don't think much of the movie itself, the gorgeous animation will look awesome in high def.
miranatu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:46 am Reply with quote
If they keep going with these periodic visits to Bang Zoom!, they might as well just do an entire fandub episode or movie. With their comedic talent, Conan and Andy could probably produce something really great. Although I'm not sure how they could distribute it...just a thought, anyway.
nagato316

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
I wonder what they will be dubbing this time. While one side of me liked the skit they did, the other side now is kinda upset they were mocking a popular form of entertainment.

Oh, this was nothing compared to Conan and Andy's first visit to Bang! Zoom--in terms of "mocking" the otaku culture, they were out-and-out hilariously brutal a month ago.

doctordoom85 wrote:

Well, they can only do anything that Bang Zoom has handled. So some recent potentials would be: Haruhi...etc.

Now this...can you just imagine what Conan and Andy would do with Mikuru Asahina's introduction scene in episode 1 of TMoHS? (as opposed to episode 00--though I don't know whether the Conan audience would find the "amateur film" ep more titillating or just plain confusing.) Either way, THAT would be comedic platinum. I'd even settle for them parody-dubbing Lucky Star.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:41 pm Reply with quote
First The Tonight Show, Tommrow the World!

that was awsome, finaly some other program influences anime.

I vote for them to go to Funimation Studieos, and interview auctual voice actors.

Last edited by InuNaruPokeAlchemist on Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:20 pm Reply with quote
nagato316 wrote:

doctordoom85 wrote:

Well, they can only do anything that Bang Zoom has handled. So some recent potentials would be: Haruhi...etc.

Now this...can you just imagine what Conan and Andy would do with Mikuru Asahina's introduction scene in episode 1 of TMoHS? (as opposed to episode 00--though I don't know whether the Conan audience would find the "amateur film" ep more titillating or just plain confusing.) Either way, THAT would be comedic platinum. I'd even settle for them parody-dubbing Lucky Star.

I would love them to do a fake dub for Haruhi or Lucky Star
Get Crispen with them and it will be a laugh riot for sure.

I hope they keep the gag running this could help boost people's interest in anime. Or just make things funny, I mean I enjoyed both clips and I rather don't find most late night t.v funny.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:02 pm Reply with quote
YES!! Wait, was it Tuesday as in yesterday? Or next Tuesday??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
YES!! Wait, was it Tuesday as in yesterday? Or next Tuesday??

This Tuesday. It's available on NBC's website and Hulu if you missed it.
vilapupu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I saw the parody last night and today here in the internet. It was so funny how they did a re-dub of Blood: the last vampire. I was laughing when they started with the title screen. lol.
Yeah, I would also vote that they do a haruhi suzumiya or lucky star re-voice over. that would be really funny.
siradix

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:24 pm Reply with quote
InuNaruPokeAlchemist wrote:
First The Tonight Show, Tommrow the World!

that was awsome, finaly some other program influences anime.

I vote for them to go to Funimation Studieos, and interview auctual voice actors.

Bang Zoom! was only picked because it was right down the street, in Burbank, Califorina. O'Brien isn't going fly or have someone fly from Fort Worth, Texas just to talk about anime. Sadly the vast majority of the audience could care less. This is as close as you are going to get with the anime industry on Conan O'Brien.

Personally I found these skits to be hilarious, and those who are hating it simply because it is in English should at least give it a try, not everything dubbed in English is the same.
Quark

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:08 pm Reply with quote
siradix wrote:

Personally I found these skits to be hilarious, and those who are hating it simply because it is in English should at least give it a try, not everything dubbed in English is the same.

I agree with this. I generally won't touch dubs with a ten-foot pole (sorry, I just like to watch foreign stuff in its original language - this applies to any language, live-action, or animated) but I absolutely loved the dub skits.
To me, these dub skits aren't the same as watching an actual dub - it's done simply for a laugh and is a big joke, and the dialogue is absolutely hilarious in them. I personally don't get why some of us subbies are getting all snippy about them - they're a joke, and nothing more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4