• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Keanu Reeves: Live-Action Cowboy Bebop is in Rewriting

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:43 am Reply with quote
What incentive do they have to make it a huge budget film? Look how much support anime adaptations get already. It's all blah blah blah rage rage this guy sucks they;re gonna F it up blah blah blah from most people. They could spend 5 billions dollars and have a cast of nothing but multi Oscar award winning actors and actresses and most of you would still piss and moan like a bunch of babies about how it will suck. So why should they RAISE the budget when so far fans have shown mostly nothing but scorn for live action adaptations? Like with Speed Racer, Dragonball, Transformers and every other one so far the opinion is always it will suck. Hell, it's sad when non-fans support the movies more then the anime fans themselves most times. Most "fans" are too busy emo raging themselves about how Keanu sucks and so will the movie to even give it a chance. And the same people saying that more then likely said something similar about Speed Racer, Dragonball, Transformers, etc. First and foremost it is a business and they are in it to make money. So considering how well anime adaptations have done so far over here they are trying to financially cover their asses more to avoid a huge financial flop. Who can blame them at this point?
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:47 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
giascle wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
So, what I'm getting is that they're trying to spend LESS on this movie.

Great.

Could this have any more strikes against it?

No movie should ever cost half a billion dollars.

Well, I guess that's a good point. Part of me wants to say that however much it costs to make it good is however much it should, though.

Not that "expensive" equals "good", but in this case, it couldn't hurt. At least we'll have something to look at.

Yeah, I was just going to comment on this:

Quote:
"There's a draft of the script, but the writer did such a great job [that] in order to make the movie, you would need half a billion dollars. […]

I don't see how being really good means it must cost a lot. Do they mean lots of computer graphics, special effects, and the like?

I don't know, whatever. I can't pretend that I'm really interested in this movie. They'll have to prove to me that they can handle a film adaptation before anything else.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:15 am Reply with quote
I'm getting real tired of all the movie hate, especially how every time more news on this movie comes, 2 or 3 random people insult Keanu like they just heard about him being cast(we've known about him since it was announced at least as far back as April). We love Bebop, the movie is being made by fanboys, have some damn faith.

On topic, the wording was a bit weasely("the script's so good that it'd cost half a billion dollars to make!"), but I like that the script is good. I don't recall anyone declaring the Dragonball: Evolution script a masterpiece(or even that good). I still have high hopes for the Bebop script and the movie itself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:16 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Well, I guess that's a good point. Part of me wants to say that however much it costs to make it good is however much it should, though.

Not that "expensive" equals "good", but in this case, it couldn't hurt. At least we'll have something to look at.

Completely agree. Why would you want to put a cap on how much a movie "should" cost?

Having said that, I don't see why Cowboy Bebop needs to cost that much to make. The Harry Potter and Transformer movies have 0.2 billion dollar budgets, and they've got huge numbers of digital shots -- plus big-name actors. The whole statement is rather vague, really. "The script was so good that it would cost half a billion dollars to make"? You don't need a good script to blow hundreds of millions of dollars away. And there isn't anything revolutionary that needs to be done to depict the Cowboy Bebop worldview, in my opinion.

Whatever. Assuming it's truthful, the statement implies that there is budgeting going on, and that there's still enthusiasm for the project. I still want to see this go ahead.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:22 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I do somewhat appreciate that there's enthusiasm in the project, but I'm still not that optimistic about it, especially with such a stone-faced non-actor like Keanu Reeves as the star. Hopefully Watanabe will actually have some sort of say in the making of this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:30 am Reply with quote
If I were to take a guess, I think Peter Craig submitted a script that included a LOT of action set pieces that probably had numerous stuntpersons, pyrotechnics (i.e. a splosions), ginormous sets (i.e. Bebop interior) and thousands of CG shots.

Half a billion? Mmmm, probably not. Maybe it skirted the "James Cameron Avatar" ceiling of $250 million, but who knows?

Believe me, this is only the first of many, many, MANY rewrite, folks; it's par for the course in Hollywood.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:46 am Reply with quote
Ah, I wanted to quote Avatar's budget as a comparison, but I wasn't bothered to look for confirmation on it. But yeah, if Avatar works with 0.25 billion, than Cowboy Bebop can too.

penguintruth wrote:
Hopefully Watanabe will actually have some sort of say in the making of this.

Certainly. I think he will.
louieatrest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:04 am Reply with quote
I really do not know if I will want to pay to see Keanu as Spike, but it would tickle me endlessly to see him as Vicious...I think that would be worth a few bucks.

In any case, it puts me in a good mood that Bebop can be revived at all...unless someone I trust has seen the completed film, and through teary eyes explains to me in great detail why this is the worst thing ever projected on a screen, I'll probably pay to see it.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:55 am Reply with quote
I have to agree with Psycho 101, because to some fans this film is damned either way. Honestly, real fans should have a bit more faith, than just dashing it out with the bath water, because you hear something you don't personally like.

Harry Potter got a huge budget, because it was a popular series of books before hand, which is known worldwide. Transformers has nostagic appeal to build upon, that adults and kids know of. Cowboy Bebop doesn't have that kind of appeal, and is only known in anime/animation fan circles. Perhaps this lack of awareness, can work in CBs favour, making it a sleeper hit, much like The Matrix or Pitch Black.

'Boo hoo, I don't like Keanu as Spike'........waahhhh......whatever. Don't watch it then. You have the tv series, that's cool, but if you don't want to share CB with others, in some kind of elitist attitude, then you are doing the creators of CB a disservice. Its okay to be scared, but despite previous anime films efforts, each deserves its own chance. Sooner or later, they will get it right, and with the original creators of CB, there's more chance of that. Speed Racer and DB:E didn't have this luxury

Despite the negativity of some ignorant fans, I still think this will be a good action flick. Keanu is keen on the project as well as also being an anime fan, giving him better understanding of what he's dealing with. Even if they can't do all of what they want in the first film, they can always keep stuff back for a second, if the first one takes off well. And god knows, we need some decent films, since Hollywood is running out of ideas.

Give them a break, and be greatful we are getting another anime based film at all.

As for the Firefly stuff, where do you think Firefly came from? Cowboy Bebop came out first. While a lot of fans worship at the alter of Whedon (indeed he's talented, but not all he touches is gold), I still think he took influence from, or ripped off CB. Don't believe me? Watch CB series, then watch Firefly, then come back at tell me what you think.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:29 am Reply with quote
Onizuka666 wrote:
As for the Firefly stuff, where do you think Firefly came from? Cowboy Bebop came out first. While a lot of fans worship at the alter of Whedon (indeed he's talented, but not all he touches is gold), I still think he took influence from, or ripped off CB. Don't believe me? Watch CB series, then watch Firefly, then come back at tell me what you think.

I don't know why there are people out there who say this. I mean, the only indication that could make this possibly true is that both play out like a space Western.
OrochimaruAnko

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:14 am Reply with quote
I have a bad feeling about this, reeves is a horrible actor, he's going to make Bebop and Anime look bad. I hope this film never sees the
light of day and let FOX stick to Star Wars and Hell's Kitchen and Family Guy.
Ralifar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:44 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm of the opinion that it's not the budget that makes a film. Sure you can do a lot of fun stuff with a big budget, but it still comes down to the actors being the meat of a film.

The only movies Keanu was ever good in were Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure, Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey, and his role as a clueless noble in Dangerous Liaisons. That doesn't mean that I'm going to give up on him though. I'm hoping that because he's a fan he'll manage to pull off a miracle and do a good job. Deep down he has to be a good actor doesn't he? Somebody thinks so. He's been in plenty of movies.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"There's a draft of the script, but the writer did such a great job [that] in order to make the movie, you would need half a billion dollars. […] So the studio went, 'This movie is fantastic and it would cost half a billion dollars. So he's doing a rewrite."

Uh oh. This isn't good. History has shown "scaled back" = bad, bad, and bad movie.

I guess the James Cameron approach to making a movie (Screw the budget!) isn't going to be applied here.

And I'm extremely curious about this number. Given the setting, I see quite an extensive use of CGI, which shouldn't come near this cost.

Set designs? Maybe, but even those can be computerized.

Alas, I'm chucking this news into the "oh crap!" pile, but I'm still hoping for the best simply because the first draft was a "great job".

Next up: Awaiting news to see who plays Faye, Ed, and Jet.

EDIT:
Ralifar wrote:
The only movies Keanu was ever good in...
...Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey...
he'll manage to pull off a miracle and do a good job.

B&T Bogus Journey sucked, dude. So, you're expecting another miracle?

He's human, not a machine. Cut him some slack if the crap story he's in overshadows his performance. Or did the last Matrix movie teach you nothing?

I'd love to see a press release photo of him as Spike. Spike's hair. Keanu. Oh, I've a feeling I'm going to laugh and laugh.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:09 am Reply with quote
If the movie is about the Redeye story, which takes place in like the first episode, how can all the maincharacters be involved?
rizuchan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:11 am Reply with quote
Am I the only person a bit bothered that in none of these press releases, nothing has been said about the music? Yoko Kanno's music is the soul of Bebop, and it worries me that they might not understand that since they haven't brought the subject up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6