• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Keanu Reeves: Live-Action Cowboy Bebop is in Rewriting

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animefan1238

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:29 am Reply with quote
i have no idea what to see/expect of this. i dont watch DBZ and even i cringed at the movie trailers. they have to look at this and NOT market it to a specific niche group. they need to market it to anime fans as well as the general population. if this fails then Hollywood should stop the anime recreates.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:04 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Am I the only person a bit bothered that in none of these press releases, nothing has been said about the music? Yoko Kanno's music is the soul of Bebop, and it worries me that they might not understand that since they haven't brought the subject up.

Or they totally understood and went with a different composer instead. She doesn't have Hollywood experience.
Baltimoron

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:11 am Reply with quote
Rather than complaining about the inevitable application of creative license by the filmmakers, people should be thanking their lucky stars that some studio suit is suffering from a bad case of coke invincibility and thinks this inevitable box office flop should be made at all.

This is going to crash and burn in terms of ticket sales. Bebop may be huge among anime fans, but we're a tiny minority of media consumers. Reeves is a name, sure, but he doesn't have the draw of Will Smith or Brad Pitt. He's not strong enough to sell this movie to non-nerds and the nerds are going to download it instead of paying for a two hour seat rental.

Either cooler heads will prevail and this project is going to fall back into development hell, or it's going to lose mind-boggling amounts of cash and people will get fired.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:18 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
rizuchan wrote:
Am I the only person a bit bothered that in none of these press releases, nothing has been said about the music? Yoko Kanno's music is the soul of Bebop, and it worries me that they might not understand that since they haven't brought the subject up.

Or they totally understood and went with a different composer instead. She doesn't have Hollywood experience.

She's composed the scores to countless works for TV and movies in Japan.

To claim Yoko Kanno isn't qualified to write a score for a Hollywood film is ludicrous. I'm not saying someone else couldn't do a better job, but she's by no means some sort of risk...
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:19 am Reply with quote
I have a hard time believing they'll do Ein well or even put him in the film. But I suppose they might go for a CGI version or do a low key role for a live-action one.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:28 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
I have a hard time believing they'll do Ein well or even put him in the film. But I suppose they might go for a CGI version or do a low key role for a live-action one.

Why would they need to CGI Ein? All he does is bark at relevant moments in conversation and occasionally put his paw on a keyboard to bring up an image on the computer(I think, it's been a while). Barking and putting a paw on a keyboard are easily within the realm of a real trained dog.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:32 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Why can't Fox just get Joss Whedon to do another Firefly movie? I know Nathan Fillion is working on Castle and Summer Glau's doing all sorts of things, but come on. I guarantee it'd be better than a live-action adaptation of Cowboy Bebop.

Actually, it would be just like a live-action adaptation of Cowboy Bebop, given how Firefly was to begin with...

And here I was just thinking they should try and get the production crew that worked on Serenity/Firefly. They did a nice job with the "planets" and bars, etc on a budget, and they had a sort of Bebop feel to it.

As to some of the comments of Whedon ripping off Bebop... eh. Cowboy Bebop can't claim the originator of the Space Western Genre. It's been around since the 50s/60s. I do agree though Firefly took inspiration from various things (Han Solo anyone?), and if there were an anime that played a major inspiration I'd say Outlaw Star was the title that got more borrowed from it than anything else.

I don't care what happens with this movie as long as it's enjoyable and looks fun. I doubt it'll be true to the original, but I'll see it anyway, all the while trying to separate it from Cowboy Bebop in my mind. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

As to the dog stuff... Corgies are really easy to train. I don't think they'll have any problems finding a real dog.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:43 am Reply with quote
They should give the movie the title of "Neo Cowboy Bebop" or "Bill and Ted: Cowboy Bebop Edition". Before I make more generalizations, I need get around to watching the TV show and movie.
Ralifar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:43 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Ralifar wrote:
The only movies Keanu was ever good in...
...Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey...
he'll manage to pull off a miracle and do a good job.

B&T Bogus Journey sucked, dude. So, you're expecting another miracle?

I didn't say the movie was good, although it was good for a few laughs. I just said Keanu was good in it. Pretty much because he didn't have to do anything but act like a dumbass.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:56 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:

They're still dealing with the story and writing. Not mentioning music can also mean that they haven't even considered anything yet.
darksharingan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:24 am Reply with quote
Anyone involved with the movie is an idiot, this had to be rewritten clearly because it doesn't work as live-action, so they have to spend a smaller budget which invovles changing it.

Also, Keanu Reeves as Spike? He doesn't have coolness in him, so he's really unfit to play Spike. I don't see why they don't give up on anime and leave them be only to Japan. They always screw them over and the only people who do like the film adaptations are mostly non-fans.

Transformers
Street Fighter
Dragonball
Blood+
Fist of the North Star
Speed Racer

ALL killed to death. Bayformers was successful but for the wrong reasons, Megan Fox-A-Lot. Making live-action adaptations of anime only appeals to idiots who use the lines 'wait and see' and 'it's just a movie' to hide their stupidity. They can't even make good film adaptations of comics in Hollywood, most of them are BS, how can they expect to do anime even if they're western oriented like Trigun and Outlaw Star? I mean, how does making it live-action make it better? The weird thing is, most anime fans watch anime simply because they're anime, most anime fans would not have heard of Cowboy Bebop if it was made as a cartoon with cartoon style animation, and if it was it wouldn't be the same at all. All it takes for an anime fan to watch an animated show is if it's anime, so how's a live-action movie gonna make it better when most anime are made for animation purposes which is doing things that would look stupid or impossible to look believable in live-action?

Face it America, your movies have become stupid, especially since the objective is to appeal to the general public which is mostly stupid these days. We're lucky we still have Sylvester Stallone coming back with Rambo and The Expendables, that should bring back the coolness that American films had back in the good old days, 80's and 90's, particularly action, and won't have to try and make adaptations of comics and anime every bloody year and be more original.

Last edited by darksharingan on Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:40 am; edited 2 times in total
russ869

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:36 am Reply with quote
HA ha! I just thought of something. What would it look like if they made this movie rotoscoped like A Scanner Darkly. That would probably look pretty cool.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:48 am Reply with quote
Jeez, thanks for the insult,darksharingan! I'm an anime fan who is happy to see some live action anime adaptations. True, the few that have been done aren't that great but I think it's only a matter of time before they get it right. I know Transformers and DB didn't translate well to the big screen but I didn't expect them to. But Cowboy Bebop is well suited to film adaptation since similar movies/ shows have been done before. Plus, say what you will about Keanu's acting (I personally have no problem with it) but at least he's a fan. And you can't expect a frame by frame adaption of the series; that would be impossible! (Not to mention it would make an extremely long movie.)

As for making it for the fans; what's the point when they're just bitch and moan about how awful it is before there's even a script or a screenshot. While an adaptation that's close to the anime as possible is nice, all I expect is something that is true to the spirit of the original. As for mainstreamers watching it, well, if it would get them interested in anime, that would be a plus in my book. After all, what anime needs the most is more fans (preferably ones that will pay for stuff), especially since it's in a bit of a decline right now.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:09 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
To claim Yoko Kanno isn't qualified to write a score for a Hollywood film is ludicrous. I'm not saying someone else couldn't do a better job, but she's by no means some sort of risk...

Agree 150%. Kanno, frankly, would feel right at home composing a musical score for a feature film. And do a good job to boot.

As far as Keanu is concerned. I think he is a good actor in as far as he is cast in roles that are within his pantomimic range. Often he is not cast as such.

But Spike doesn't worry me so much as does this:
Quote:
Reeves also indicated that "everyone is in there" from the main characters of Shinichiro Watanabe and Sunrise's Cowboy Bebop anime series.

Seriously, who would be able to pull off Ed? And if their is someone, what are the chances they will get her? Will her performance be cheesy and cartoonish. To be honest, I don't want this to turn into a live action cartoon. Less in the Scooby Doo and Speed Racer vein is better, no? Those films certainly have their merits, but I just hope this isn't what Cowboy Bebop will turn into. I do hope it turns out really good though, so here's hoping.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:19 am Reply with quote
sigh this movie is going to suck so much just like every one now
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6