• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Keanu Reeves: Live-Action Cowboy Bebop is in Rewriting

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rep21

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:52 am Reply with quote
As for Cowboy Bebop... i know many people say that most anime probably wouldn't work as live action and in the case of Dragon Ball, or Evangelion i would agree. There are a few that lend themselves to live action a lot easier and Cowboy Bebop is one of those. If you watch the show there is a lot of influence from western films as well as HK cinema, i believe Cowboy Bebop can make a great live action movie. If done right!

Probably the thing that bothers me the most about this movie is Keanu Reeves as spike. I don't hate him or anything i just don't think that he is right for the role, not to mention he's in his mid forties( and looks it) while Spike is in his late twenties, that being said i am being cautiously optimistic. I realize that in order for it to work on the big screen certain things may have to be changed or left out, but as long as they stay true to what made CB a great series in the first place then it should be good.

So far what i am hearing about this movie isn't making me rage at least, not like Shyalaman's Adaption of Avatar: The last Airbender. Every new piece of info on that movie makes me want to punch a baby.
Rei Sentoki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:13 am Reply with quote
Cowboy Bebop: Spike and Jet's Excellent Adventure (20XX)

Starring:

Keanu Reeves on a wire as "Spike Speigel"
Patrick Stewart in a muscle suit and with a fake beard as "Jet Black"
Angelina Jolie with pendulous protuberances as "Faye Valentine"
Andy Serkis in a motion capture suit as "Ed Mynameistoolongtotype"
One of the Queen's Corgis as "Ein"
Jennifer Aniston, also with pendulous protuberances, as "Julia"
Christopher Walken in a smoking jacket as "Vicious"

Directed by McG with music by Danny Elfman
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:51 am Reply with quote
Why do people instantly assume that this is going to be bad? A lot of films are adapted from other material (e.g. books) and do very well. Hardcore Tolkien fans complained about the movies but they didn't exactly flop did they? A live action adaptation of an anime isn't automatically going to be bad any more than an anime adaption of, say The Matrix is automatically going to be good and they aren't even necessarily targeted at the same audience; I enjoyed the LOTR films but have never read the books and probably never will so I don't really care how good or bad an adaptation it was, just like the many people who can watch this film without having seen any anime other than pokemon and still enjoy it. Of course it will be different to the anime, but different isn't automatically bad and there's no need to be down on it before it has even been made, nor because the lead actor happens to have also been the lead in a box office flop like The Matrix (no, wait a minute..).

Ralifar wrote:
You've got a really good point there. I think it's going to be hard for someone to pull off the goofiness of Ed without making her look completely stupid.

For some reason I instantly thought Lacey Chabert, but she's way too old now. Of course, I never did finish Cowboy Bebop so I've not had that much expose to her character. Another of the things I really must buy when I finally strike it rich.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ralifar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I enjoyed the LOTR films but have never read the books and probably never will so I don't really care how good or bad an adaptation it was, just like the many people who can watch this film without having seen any anime other than pokemon and still enjoy it. Of course it will be different to the anime, but different isn't automatically bad and there's no need to be down on it before it has even been made, nor because the lead actor happens to have also been the lead in a box office flop like The Matrix (no, wait a minute..).

A lot of people have a very difficult time judging things in terms of them being different forms of media. They can't grasp that you're almost always going to be able to do more in something like a book because the only visuals you get from it will be from your imagination. Whereas the visuals from a movie will be from someone else's imagination(on a budget) generally.

Even though Keanu obviously has something going for him, I just don't like his acting style.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:20 pm Reply with quote
While I feel that Keanu's starring role here doesn't give me much hope in this film, it doesn't mean I think it can't turn out to be a worthwhile action flick. But in order for that to happen though, the producers and the studio will have to capture lightening in a bottle.

There has to be script that makes the audience give a crap about what happens to the characters. I do not want to see any more insulting drivel they try to call a "story" that's actually just slapped together mish-mash used to connect ACTION PIECE (A) to ACTION PIECE (B). Rolling Eyes

They need to surround Keanu with a fantastic cast; the casting director MUST knock it out of the park. I'd love to see some fresh-faces or lesser-known "character actors" show up on this film. I refuse to believe that there isn't a young woman or teenaged girl out there who can bring Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky IV to the silver screen and do her justice. The producers just have to find her. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6