• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Toole Runnings

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Actually, on the Samurai X dub (think it was commented on at one point there), Kenshin did have the same VA as with the Bang Zoom dub for Media Blasters. It was dubbed in the LA area with that familiar talent pool, but with a mostly different cast (aside from exceptions like Kenshin) such as Rebecca Forstadt voicing Kaoru and Derek Stephen Prince voicing Sanosuke.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:25 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
But I don't think I've ever heard a single even slightly off-color or irreverant comment from an American anime voice actor on commentaries.

You clearly haven't heard Spike Spencer's commentary during the last scene of the Evangelion TV series. Wink
Swissman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:46 pm Reply with quote
This was once again a very interesting podcast to listen to. I like hearing you guys talking about a broad range of topics. Keep the good work up!

Ahh, Mike's mentioning of old UK dubs are a trip down memory lane. Manga Video UK dubs were the very first english anime dubs I bought back in the early nineties. I remember having pourchased the british K.O. Century Beastkeeters and Cat Girl Nuku Nuku dubs after reading the ads in the Anime UK magazine - I still own those tapes. As a comedy series full of good old fun, the first oav series of Beastkeepers impressed me so much that I managed to get some vhs copies from the japanese laserdiscs of the second OAV series. I still consider both OAV series pretty much fun even today.

@Justin

I don't know if the Carl Macek dub of Laputa is on the japanese dvd, but if you happen to collect old laserdiscs, look out for the japanese LD from the Ghibli ga Ippai -Boxset; the old english dub is on it. The Boxset even contains the Macek dubs of Kiki's delivery service and Porco Rosso (JAL dub).

I totally agree with Mike O'Toole about the poor animation of Naru Taru. I was really into the manga a while ago and followed its prepublication in Kodansha's Afternoon magazine. Like Alien 9, Milk Closet or Discommunication, it's one of those memorably fantasy manga series which seem to be cute and harmless on first glance but reveals itself to be quite graphic and disturbing soon after. Imagine my joy of hearing the news that an tv series of NT was in production. But, oh boy, after seeing the first episodes I was so let down by the actual animation.... the animation was so extremely cheap, even for tv standarts. It didn't help that the production company behind Naru Taru, Groove Corporation, went bankrupt during the actual production of the series. Lots and lots of lazy digital pannings and zoomings instead of actual animation; it simply killed my joy of watching one of my all-time favorite manga series as an anime. Until this day, I just couldn't manage to get past over the first four episodes, even tough I own every single japanese volume and a couple ones in german and french.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm really happy you guys are enjoying the show. Remember, these threads are also for suggestions in terms of guests, topics, anything you like. So feel free to let us know what you'd like to see (hear?) on the show.
joystick1101

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I personally like DVD extras, I thought the extras on the Code Geass DVD's were pretty cool; picture eps and japanese commentaries. The japanese commentaries were cool cause they included people like the director and writers. But I'll admit only Code Geass and Le Chevalier D'Eon had extras I thought were worth it. Omg trailers and clean op/ed are so pointless.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
So feel free to let us know what you'd like to see (hear?) on the show.

A musical episode where y'all answer every Twitter question IN SONG~
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:19 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Zac wrote:
So feel free to let us know what you'd like to see (hear?) on the show.

A musical episode where y'all answer every Twitter question IN SONG~

Holy crap, this is so going to happen.
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:24 pm Reply with quote
To the person asking about how to identify the key animators of sequences he really likes: you're in luck! AniPages happens to have a forum, which just happens to have an entire thread dedicated to the subject. Go ask there. If it's something that really stood out there's a 90% chance Ben already knows the animator.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Novels Like see made in anime or just a Live Action movie are Arthur C. Clarke's The City and the Stars ( In far or Childhood's End.
Thinking of Childhood's End There video game too be base the Novel
for the NDS
So Philip K Dick's Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said and The Man the in High Castle Both have won Hugo Award

Last edited by AnimenexuS on Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:11 am Reply with quote
As for classics done anime-style, how about Twelfth Night by the cast of Ranma 1/2? I also might like to see a Japanese take on the American Civil War with an adaptation of The Red Badge of Courage.

As for ideas for future podcasts? October's fast approaching, which means Halloween's coming, so why not do at least a segment on horror and/or supernatural anime?
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
Hey, you know what'd be cool?

Liam O' Brien recently announced that he got cast as Tenma for Monster...

It'd be neat to have him come on and promote the show or talk about the show or something (which is airing on TV next month)...

But, I dunno how that stuff works; might be too hard to just suddenly try to get him and whatever...

You know: schedule conflicts.

As for topics... how about this:

Why does nobody ever hook up in animu?

(or why does is take an entire series?)

(this isn't true 100% of the time; I'm just being facetious)

Yeah, that'd be funny to talk about.

I'm like sitting through two seasons of School Rumble and they STILL haven't wrapped up the damn relationship arcs...

And like every other show does this (there are too many to name).

And then it's like, dude: get it over with.

(this is probably why NANA has been extremely refreshing; minimal BS)

On the other hand, this might be a stupid topic given that everyone has some kind of implicit agreement that the relationships should never go anywhere... ever.

I don't know.

That being said, I have to chime in and say that this show has been a lot of fun and I regularly listen in every week; keep up the epic.
pirsqua

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:55 am Reply with quote
Idea
You guys should make it video as well as audio... kinda boring just listening to it in these days of Youtube and easy/cheap video recording. You're not afraid of the camera, are you? I was actually somewhat interested in the content, but the audio-only format killed the deal.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:54 am Reply with quote
Some anime company needs to adapt Paradise Lost, especially the rebellion in heaven. I mean who doesn't want to see an anime movie that has a heavily ripped Jesus Christ just start wailing on the entire rebellion force by himself.

Give him something like a Jesus Beam and we have the greatest anime movie of all times. How awesome would it be to see the good angels slice a mountain, than have one of the Archangel's lift up the mountain and just throw it at the rebel army.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:47 am Reply with quote
Show Idea: Anime and the scars they inflict....

omg.... when will it end?!?!?!
eyevocal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:46 pm Reply with quote
The original Samurai X dub: A local anime club once showed snippets of this during a break. I was standing next to a door in the room, and proceeded to beat my head against it repeatedly. That hurt like hell. The door was pretty painful, too.

As for the extras, I'm cool with however many are included. The more, the more value, IMHO. What bothers me are when collections of anime have the on-disc extras removed, especially when the original singles are deleted. If you ever meet Mike Bailiff of Section23/ADV Films in the road, stop and give him as much flak as you can fire (verbally). If you don't like checking out extras, fine. That's your choice. But I sure don't appreciate having the choice taken away from me because I didn't have the money to buy it at the time.

Also, FUNimation should cut the crap with that "Extras include:" trip they're on. List. Them. All. Damn. You. If not on the DVD case, put them on the official website. It's not exactly like there's really anything else to them, so how about something some of us would like to know about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5