• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Spice and Wolf Novel's Original Cover Ships with Yen+

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:26 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
If it does end up in the YA section I bet it'll get more attention if it had the original Horo cover, especially if they showcased it on the promotional shelves/tables.

I can tell you in my experience working a bookstore for the last couple years that unless the female customer is a usually manga buyer the typical teen girl will go right over it if it is in the manga style, even if it has a werewolf or vampire or whatever on the cover. It'll definitely be interested to see who buys the Twilight comic when it comes out.

Comparing it to the other series selling right now for the teen girls (Twilight, Vampire Diaries, City of Bones, House of Night) that new cover fits right in with their covers, even if it's not even the same genre. They're definitely targeting the current teen girl demographic.
lhernan02

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Comparing it to the other series selling right now for the teen girls (Twilight, Vampire Diaries, City of Bones, House of Night) that new cover fits right in with their covers, even if it's not even the same genre. They're definitely targeting the current teen girl demographic.

Really? A naked woman appeals to the teen girl demographic, girls sure have changed since my time. But then again, bodice-rippers are geared towards women so I should not be surprised (although their covers usually include a hunk attached to the near-naked damsel).

I figured the perfect westernization would have been the japanese cover just with a western woman (photo not drawing). Horo's outfit is cute (and not impossible or even difficult to taylor) and an attractive young woman with wolf ears and a tail is bound to attract some eyeballs. It would not drive away non-manga\anime fans and it would be more representative of the content.
Everminde

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:39 pm Reply with quote
While I personally don't like the new cover, I'm very glad they decided to make the original one available at all. As they mentioned on their site: through Yen Plus it's the most accessible for the anime/manga fans. It'll boost their magazine sales slightly, make the novel more marketable for the U.S., and the fans get what they want in the end. Everyone's happy.

And I really don't care what they do - I'm just hoping they'll bring over more light novels (like Saiunkoku or finish Scrapped Princess) if this is successful. If changing the covers help, then I say go for it.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
I like the original cover, but it's not super awesome either. It's nice, but not more and it will just turn an average reader away from a great fantasy story, because they will think "ewww, manga".
Unless it's shrink wrapped, they will have fingered through it regardless. I like both myself and can't understand what all the fuss is about. I lolled at that "Holo is my wife" bit. Some mothers do 'ave'em Laughing
nhat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Zilan wrote:
So, um where do I go to protest this? Do they plan on taking out the illustrations too and replacing them with more *WESTERN* theme pictures? Way to mock the fans, anime fans. You know the people that give you money? Unless it's changed you won't be getting my money!

As long as they are accurate with the translation, I think this is a great move by Yen. The US and JP have different way of expressing mainstream themes and Yen hit the bull on the head.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:25 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Actually that was another thing I was thinking too. It fits in VERY well with those type of covers, so I'm sure someone will think it's another vampire series (or if anything, a werewolf, going along with the theme >_>)
Nebs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:26 pm Reply with quote
According to B&N Bookmaster, Spice & Wolf will be landing in their Sci-fi/Fantasy section. Which, in the larger stores at least, is no where near the manga section.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
FeralKat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:57 am Reply with quote
I'm fine with the cover change, looks great in fact, except those buckteeth they gave her.

What's up, doc? Laughing
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:47 am Reply with quote
FeralKat wrote:
I'm fine with the cover change, looks great in fact, except those buckteeth they gave her.

What's up, doc? Laughing

That is the worst part, imho.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:27 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I can tell you in my experience working a bookstore for the last couple years that unless the female customer is a usually manga buyer the typical teen girl will go right over it if it is in the manga style, even if it has a werewolf or vampire or whatever on the cover. It'll definitely be interested to see who buys the Twilight comic when it comes out.

Thing is the cover is so unrepresentative of the contents. If girls are put off by the manga style then they'll still be put-off once they flip through the book and see the original illustrations. Furthermore the bodice-ripper cover certainly doesn't reflect the story either. If it was marketed this way the readers may end up disappointed as well.

Nebs wrote:
According to B&N Bookmaster, Spice & Wolf will be landing in their Sci-fi/Fantasy section. Which, in the larger stores at least, is no where near the manga section.

Yeah, story wise I think it really does belong in the SF/Fantasy section. I'd almost wish they'd just have an abstract cover instead. This way it won't put off those unfamiliar with anime/manga at first glance, nor will it misrepresent the contents.
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Irregardless of how I feel about the necessity to market the book with a different cover, that art for the new cover is pretty hideous.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:51 pm Reply with quote
dangerwhat wrote:
Irregardless of how I feel about the necessity to market the book with a different cover, that art for the new cover is pretty hideous.

This is the matter at heart. One aspect is that they didn't give the original cover first, but what's really setting people off is that the cover that actually comes on the books is just...poor. As I remember, people weren't up in arms about Haruhi's cover, they actually liked it because it was so plain, like a lot of novels are.

F- for bad photoshopping skills, see me after class.
an4564

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:55 am Reply with quote
ok i get what they are tring to do but they didn't have to change it so much .
i have half a mine not to buy this
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:29 am Reply with quote
The photo looks dangerously like one of those covers on an adult romance book. I would think that consumers might think Spice and Wolf is an erotic series with that cover. However, at least they are keeping the interior illustrations from Japan.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:33 am Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
So...am I the only one who thinks that the new cover looks good? Not that the original cover looks bad, but I think it's a nice take.
Apart from that, I don't buy books based on covers.

I personally prefer the new cover to the original one (though I admit that the smile isn't the best). It's not a great cover but it's decent.

The purpose of a cover is to grab a reader's attention to make them pick up the book and see what it's about. I think that this cover will definitely get more people to look at it than the original cover would.

And people saying they won't buy it are really overreacting. Because we want the market for light novels in English to go bust! Great plan!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3