• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa Pictures USA Licensing Unit Shuts Down

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedTail

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I suppose Kadokawa figured having a US office was a redundant and unnecessary expense.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Kadokawa Pictures USA's closure should not affect the release of Spice and Wolf, Junjo Romantica, the first Haruhi Suzumiya series, The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye, and other titles that were negotiated already.

Thank goodness. Smile I thought that's what it would mean, but it's always good to hear someone of some repute confirm it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
thefuturemrsuzumaki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:49 pm Reply with quote
It's just really sad that some of the better anime licensing companies like ADV and Kadokawa Pictures are shutting down. This is, unfortunately, a sign of the economic problems we're having in our country due to the dimwits that run it. :[
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
DomFortress

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
They might have got the hump because the fansubbers stuck their middle fingers toward them.
The fansubbers don't listen to C & D is nothing new(perhaps they should try hiring some Japanese VA/AV as spokespersons Wink ). However I think this also had to do with how Kadokawa Pictures USA handled the negotiation of releasing the various Kadokawa properties outside of Japan. After all that's why they're there for in the first place, when the responsibility of distribution lies solely on the US licensees.

Three thing I can think of from here on that we should consider, and they are the possibility of: 1)Kadokawa will be handling the negotiations of their properties directly from Japan, 2)Kadokawa not relying on the US licensees and thus no need for negotiations, and 3)Kadokawa will only focus on their domestic Japanese market while they abandon the US market altogether.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Kadokawa Pictures USA's closure should not affect the release of Spice and Wolf, Junjo Romantica, the first Haruhi Suzumiya series, The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye, and other titles that were negotiated already.

Oh, Jeez... That's a relief. I was worried about Junjo!
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Egan Loo wrote:

Thank goodness. Smile I thought that's what it would mean, but it's always good to hear someone of some repute confirm it.

What I'm more worried about is Spice and Wolf II. But I suppose as long as season one sells well enough, it won't matter much where the rights to season two lie.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
@Tyrenol@
You never get enough do you... By losing Kadokawa we lose a company that license some good stuff..

Anyway... Wow just wow. I just mentioned these guys yesterday and I mentioned the Anime Demonbane.. Will I ever get a chance to buy that show, (In a manner that reaches my standers?) (Dub)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
They might have got the hump because the fansubbers stuck their middle fingers toward them.
Being curt, the middle finger would be the least of thier issues if I had bought Haruhi 2 and saw Endless Eight in all it's 'glory' sight unseen.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:29 pm Reply with quote
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!? NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! NOT ANOTHER ANIME LICENSOR!!! Why is it that all the anime companies I'm interested in are dropping one by one?!? Nooooooooooo!!! it's a good thing I got all the Lucky Star DVDs (except for the OVA)!
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this has anything to do with Funimation's release of Spice and Wolf being set back from November to December, but it looks like that deal was not affected by this really.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Aww, dammit. I've been waiting (in vain it seems) for some of those romances to be distributed. I wonder if any R1 company is able to pick up the remaining undistributed ones. *stares at FUNi* (If they have the money to redub Initial D and Sailor Moon, then surely....) Sad
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:15 pm Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:
(If they have the money to redub Initial D and Sailor Moon, then surely....) Sad

Was Sailor Moon confirmed? I must have missed that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wetall

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't get it, what the hell is everyone's deal over this? Kadokawa USA was practically non-existent in the eyes of the R1 industry because all they did was act as an extra middleman that bought licenses from the Japanese companies and sat on them until an R1 company bought it from them. Unlike Geneon or ADV, they didn't do any sub/dub work, nor did they distribute any DVDs of the titles they licensed--The titles they licensed had never been guaranteed to get a release in the first place. The only difference this is going to make is that localization companies like Funimation are just going to deal with the Japanese companies directly, so quit freaking out already. Rolling Eyes
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:29 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
The fansubbers don't listen to C & D is nothing new(perhaps they should try hiring some Japanese VA/AV as spokespersons Wink ). However I think this also had to do with how Kadokawa Pictures USA handled the negotiation of releasing the various Kadokawa properties outside of Japan. After all that's why they're there for in the first place, when the responsibility of distribution lies solely on the US licensees.

Three thing I can think of from here on that we should consider, and they are the possibility of: 1)Kadokawa will be handling the negotiations of their properties directly from Japan, 2)Kadokawa not relying on the US licensees and thus no need for negotiations, and 3)Kadokawa will only focus on their domestic Japanese market while they abandon the US market altogether.

Most of those shows were already subbed to completion far before any C&D's would have come out. And once it's out on the internet, there's no getting it back.
mozychan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Anime News Network wrote:
Kadokawa Pictures USA also coordinated the licenses of its parent company's live-action film and television works.

I suppose it may be because this is an Anime website and not a drama one, but I'm kinda surprised no one is calling fowl on behalf of the live-action films as well. I'm not a fan of any drama, but I am still saddened by this because the company was a Crunchyroll partner.

Titles that are still available for streaming there are as follows:

Dark Tales of Japan - Movie
ISOLA - Movie
Inugami
Japanese Horror Anthology: Legends - Movie
Japanese Horror Anthology: Underworld - Movie
Kadokawa Mystery and Horror Tales
Kadokawa Pictures Collection
MPD Psycho
Mail
Never Give Up
Onmyoji - Movie
Rampo Noir - Movie
Shadow of the Wraith - Movie
Shikoku - Movie
Sleepless Town - Movie
St Johns Wort
The Quiet Duel - Movie
The Tomie Collection

I wish they had thrown their anime up there as well, but oh well...

-moose

Last edited by mozychan on Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4