• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Unpublished Early Osamu Tezuka Manga Discovered

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:39 am Reply with quote
Because he's probably the oldest mangaka known in the US because of Tetsuwan Atom. Other big mangaka of the 40s/50s/60s like Hasegawa and Fujimoto/Abiko may have been huge in Japan, but their work is pretty much unknown in the US, despite ironically their work is still being produced in anime form every week for people to enjoy while Tezuka's isn't really.
N.R.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:14 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Because he's probably the oldest mangaka known in the US because of Tetsuwan Atom. Other big mangaka of the 40s/50s/60s like Hasegawa and Fujimoto/Abiko may have been huge in Japan, but their work is pretty much unknown in the US, despite ironically their work is still being produced in anime form every week for people to enjoy while Tezuka's isn't really.

Yeah. I think Osamu Tezuka is getting a lot of love around the globe, which is good. I definitely don't think he is a god though Laughing
It would be great if manga from other mangaka from his generation will be released outside of Japan. Because as much as I like Tezuka, sometimes you need to see the whole picture to appreciate a part of it.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:17 am Reply with quote
I doubt that it would be possible. Before Tezuka's works were released in the biggest Western markets (USA and French), his animations had already been there for years. And even in that case we got only his most famous ones. With all due respect to said mangakas, their works are not widely recognised even in fandom- I wounder if anyone could risk publishing them in other form than short stories for hardcore otaku.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:52 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
Rick from Pawn Stars would've lowballed the guy for $50.

"Oh, a rare unpublished manga from the God of Manga himself? Hm.. tell you what, I got a guy who's an expert on this stuff, let me call him down here to take a look"
"Alright"

"Yep.. this is genuine alright. I'd say maybe. 40K"
"Cool, thanks a lot. So.. what were you hoping to do with it? Pawn or sell?"
"Sell it!"
"What were you hoping to get for it?"
"Well.. he said 40K"
"I know what he said, I'm not asking that. I'm asking what you're hoping to get for it. I have to turn a profit here, you see."

"I got 3000 out of it.. I'm pretty happy for that. Wish it was a bit more, but it's more than what I walked in there with!"

Ya guys watch too much TV...........................
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:49 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
Rick from Pawn Stars would've lowballed the guy for $50.

"Oh, a rare unpublished manga from the God of Manga himself? Hm.. tell you what, I got a guy who's an expert on this stuff, let me call him down here to take a look"
"Alright"

"Yep.. this is genuine alright. I'd say maybe. 40K"
"Cool, thanks a lot. So.. what were you hoping to do with it? Pawn or sell?"
"Sell it!"
"What were you hoping to get for it?"
"Well.. he said 40K"
"I know what he said, I'm not asking that. I'm asking what you're hoping to get for it. I have to turn a profit here, you see."

"I got 3000 out of it.. I'm pretty happy for that. Wish it was a bit more, but it's more than what I walked in there with!"

Ya guys watch too much TV...........................

They should be like me and just give up!
Sariachan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:22 am Reply with quote
Please notice that:
- "manga no kamisama" is how Osamu Tezuka is sometimes called in Japan, too;
- "kami" isn't exactly like the western "god" (in Japanese culture, there can be more than one "kami");
- Osamu Tezuka isn't the first mangaka, but the father of modern manga (and modern shoujo, with Ribbon no Kishi);
- "manga", in Japan, can be used for both comics and animation;
- he was also really active in the animation field, creating the techniques that made commercial animation possible (using less frames--I'm oversimplifying here, of course);
- he created the mainstream "Japanese art style", big eyes and such, mostly after his love for Walt Disney movies;
- that said, Tezuka also made really interesting experimental and more artistic-oriented animations, for example "Jumping";
- his works deal with many different genres and thematic, and usually deal with them in a really mature way.

Therefore, I don't have problems calling him "manga no kamisama". Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Yes, people like to say Sally the Witch is the first 'magical girl' series. But I'd gladly argue Ribbon no Kishi had elements of that stuff long before Sally the Witch. Girl meets a magical mascot sidekick (angel in this case) which she received her abilities from. Granted, not the magic we associate with the genre nowadays persay, but her adopting a new identity (transforming) to fight and do things, and the general feel/execution definitely shows the prototype for later henshin magical girl.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
Therefore, I don't have problems calling him "manga no kamisama". Wink

I would simply say "Manga God" myself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2