• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2009 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(For the record, I still think Clumsy Aki-chan from the first season was better.)

Heck no. That Lacrosse anime is awesome. Wink
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Now, the similarities between the two are probably a little overplayed – most of the comparisons came about because of Hiro Mashima's wholesale plagiarism of Eiichiro Oda's art style in the manga version. Indeed, it's tough to really compare the two on any substantial level, given that even in its early episodes One Piece was a well-written top shelf work executed with finesse and Fairy Tale is a big ugly pile of generic shonen clichés that does not have one speck of creativity in it.

Reviewing first eps is usually the worst way to decide on titles.
I was going to wait on FT until I finished Rave Master, but I dropped RM due to the volume of titles I was reading (& TP has abandoned it like so many other of their titles, damn their evil souls enticing us into reading stuff they will never finish printing). However, in order to get tickets for the autographed boards at comic-con, one had to actually purchase volumes of FT so I wound up with Vol 2 & 3 (1 was sold out) & actually discovered FT is a lot of fun, in many ways more fun than RM. In later volumes of RM (or is it FT?) the author mentions he found some old drawings of early works & they sound somewhat similar to FT so one could actually say FT is the older idea.

No one will deny One Piece is HEAVILY inspired by Dragonball. A major dif is Bulma's tons nicer than Nami & the FT gal is closer to Bulma than Nami in that respect. Another dif is Natsu has a fricken brain in that head which Luffy lacks. One fight comes to mind where Natsu was fighting a foe, the baddie reveals his move & Natsu uses it against him. Luffy is more the wail on the baddie style of hero.

One can go on all day about what ideas have been "borrowed" from which older shonen title (Don't get me started on Bleach & Saint Seiya). I was amazed on the first volume of Jing how much Jing looked like fan art of Goku, but there's also the Nightmare Before Christmas influences & as the title moved on, the style evolved (as it usually does).

FT is closer to Slayers & Bastard for the fantasy RPG sort of setting, but carries the more freewheeling nature of Dragonball (Kid Goku stage)/One Piece.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
As a FYI, the latest preview postings are probably going to be the last. Although there's still a couple more significant titles yet to go (Winter Sonata, the new Kiddy Grade series), the new pickings this week are just too thin to warrant continuation.

No Kuuchuu Buranko? But it's Noitamina, gosh darn it! Crying or Very sad
Stretch24

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how Fairy Tail compares to One Piece, of which it has been accused of being a blatant ripoff, but I found it to have some good points here and there. Mainly a fair dose of good jokes--like the way Lucy's mermaid responded to her commands. Other gags--like the motion sickness one--are distinctly lame, so the humor quality is all over the board. The story as a whole seems kind of dull, and since I'm not a magic fanatic I am reluctant to get wrapped up in it, even if it's only for something like twelve episodes. Still, there is a certain goofy, spirited style to Fairy Tail, so I would not label it a complete disaster by any means. It has to be the character designs--especially their eyes--which most reminds me of One Piece.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:33 pm Reply with quote
11eyes is now available on CrunchyRoll. One Piece is comparable to Rave Master and Fairy Tail by how the manga/anime style is done. I actually have thought that Elie from Rave Master was based off of a motif of One Piece's Nami.
Maryohki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:37 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Juuyon wrote:
Really? Do you also have a low opinion of D.Gray-man?

The main character has about as much personality as a limp noodle, and the plot is composed of elements harvested from other, better series. The art is really, really good though. It's just the rest that's rather generic.

Really? You didn't see much personality in Allen? May I ask how far you got? Because I personally think Allen is a pretty solid character compared to most shonen leads. There are other characters in the series that are more interesting than he is, sure, but he's not completely dull, at least in my opinion. As for the plot, I agree that it's not anything groundbreaking, but in my opinion, it seems like D. Gray-man is a series that managed to be the type of shonen series that Bleach was trying to be and failed, at least regarding tone and theme. Though the more recent chapters have gotten weaker...
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Maryohki wrote:
Really? You didn't see much personality in Allen? May I ask how far you got? Because I personally think Allen is a pretty solid character compared to most shonen leads. There are other characters in the series that are more interesting than he is, sure, but he's not completely dull, at least in my opinion. As for the plot, I agree that it's not anything groundbreaking, but in my opinion, it seems like D. Gray-man is a series that managed to be the type of shonen series that Bleach was trying to be and failed, at least regarding tone and theme. Though the more recent chapters have gotten weaker...

I got through the third volume, I think, and only because a friend encouraged me to get that far. I cannot name one distinguishing feature about Allen other than that he ate a lot and was sort of vaguely a nice guy. He was completely bland. I never even got a strong sense of guilt for what he'd done. The other characters were far more interesting (even if they were cliched), and shounen leads even in series I no longer like (which is nearly all of the long-running fight-centered series) had a bigger impact on my memory. Allen just sort of was.
Maryohki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Maryohki wrote:

I got through the third volume, I think, and only because a friend encouraged me to get that far. I cannot name one distinguishing feature about Allen other than that he ate a lot and was sort of vaguely a nice guy. He was completely bland. I never even got a strong sense of guilt for what he'd done. The other characters were far more interesting (even if they were cliched), and shounen leads even in series I no longer like (which is nearly all of the long-running fight-centered series) had a bigger impact on my memory. Allen just sort of was.

Ah, that makes sense, then. He developed quite a bit later on in the series.

...also Miranda Lotto is NOT cliched.

But hey, different people go for different things.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Okay...

Sasameki Koto- Even though it had it's interesting melodramatic parts and pretty artwork, I was thoroughly disgusted and may not continue.

The Book of Bantorra- Action packed with cool storyline, but a little confusing. None the less, I'm stoacked for episode 3

Kobato- SOOOOOO Kawaii!!! LOL! No, seriously, it's very charming and funny. I love Kobato's naivity and pure-heartedness. Plus, I think Ioryogi's fire attacks would give the Kamehameha, Rasengen and Getsuga tensho hell.

That's all I've seen so far. I'm still watching the first season of a couple of these shows(i.e. Darker Than Black and To Aru no Majutsu index(sp?)
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:07 am Reply with quote
One of the reviews I am waiting for once it starts tomorrow is Winter Sonata. This is because I thought the trailer and it's Encyclopedia entry's summary looked really beautiful. Another reason is because I haven't seen a lot of anime based off of Korean shows/manhwa.
tankerboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:46 am Reply with quote
Y'know, there's a few of us out here who aren't as knowledgeable as the staff at ANN and appreciate reviews of new series such as "Winter Sonata" and "Kuchu Buranko". I listen to ANNcast every week, find it quite informative and entertaining, but those two have already dismissed the entire season. Admittedly, I know little about the finer points of anime but I've never heard anyone dismiss a group of shows en masse and while I suppose there are an elite few who can suss out the quality of every series in a season after seeing only one or, at most, two episodes. I've read, and believe based on personal experience, that you have to go at least three or four episodes to really judge a show. To stop reviews of new shows completely because "the new pickings this week are just too thin to warrant continuation" does us, your subscribers, a disservice, imo. Are you stretched so thin you couldn't even have one person do a monthly wrap-up? Or if that's too much how about a wrap up once a quarter after most series have run their course? That would at least give us some suggestions on series to check out or watch for on DVD.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:19 am Reply with quote
I wonder if Winter Sonata would be the last show CrunchRoll is adding.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 22 of 22