• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Johnston Waxes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleuster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:08 am Reply with quote
You have really interesting guests. I actually listen to Player One Podcast so seeing CJ here was quite a pleasant surprise.

I figured that was the case with Yotsuba. I think everyone waiting for it knew what was going on, but still I wish they were at least honest about it. Well, thanks to Yen Press, all is right in the world.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:04 pm Reply with quote
In the interests of full disclosure, let me say I am NOT an Evangelion fan, I haven't seen the new movie and have no real motivation to do so any time soon.

That said, am I the only one that finds it a little off-putting that a major personality of one of (if not the) biggest anime news sites says "if that was a live action movie, I'd totally want to see it". Please don't get me wrong, I mean that honestly and not in that "grr.. hate Zac" kind of way. How do people honestly expect anime to be taken "seriously" or be really popular if even the major people who comment on it (whether intentionally or not) present it as still not as compelling as live action.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:23 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX, I think you misunderstood Zac. He wasn't saying Evangelion 1.01 would only excite him if it were live-action, he said, "boy, if this trailer was showing what the Eva movie was supposed to be like but in live-action, I'd be JUST AS excited." He's giving them an equal ranking, not bashing one and praising another. Anyway, I got to see it in theaters (played in our "dollar theater" for only $3, sweet deal! Very Happy ), and will definitely pick up the 1.11 DVD when it comes out next year.

I couldn't make out what they were saying at that point, but it sounded like either Justin or Zac suggested FUNi dubbed the Sgt. Frog opening. They did not, both the opening and ending are in original form. Glad Chris enjoyed the dub FUNi did, I've liked it so far too and feel it actually gets better further in (up to episode 10).

I was upset Basquash wasn't available legally on Crunchyroll, but now not so much if that meant a license wasn't as possible. I do think Shangri-La might be one of the exceptions to the rule, since FUNi grabs most GONZO titles (and if they can blow money on Linebarrels.....).

Glad to hear Zac and Justin assure us on the future of physical media. Like penquintruth, sitting down on my couch and popping in a DVD is how I enjoy anime (and snacking, which I can't do by my computer without possibly getting the keyboard dirty, ew), sitting on my not-as-comfortable computer chair and watching it on a smaller screen is not the ideal place.

ADV isn't the only company to be hush-hush about things like that. It took forever (actually, just this year) for Viz to admit they have no plans to finish Full Moon (and I assume the others like MAR). Sure it was a given, but saying so is just the polite thing to do.
_V_

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Excuse me....but it seems you don't really know much about the current "Evangelion situation"; I can't blame you because normally fansites are on top of this kind of thing and "spreading the word" but they're not now.

Rebuild of Evangelion is *absolutely not* a Gurren Lagann/Inuyasha style clip show, "done with slightly better animation"

leaks of the second Rebuild movie revealed that by the second movie, they've *drastically changed the storyline*

Yes, the first movie is much like the first six episodes...just because there wasn't much to change in the initial setup. But the last third of the movie starts changing things....and the Planet of the Apes-esque twist ending reveals that its' actually quite different

This guy explains it best: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O61paorsxNE&feature=channel_page

You see, the problem isn't that "Rebuild of Eva changes practically nothing"....everyone whose *actually seen* Rebuild is shocked at how much got changed.

Are you just basing your opinions of Rebuild on hearsay, or have you actually seen and judged it? Even if you think Rebuild 1 doesn't change enough, Rebuild 2 does.

Nextly: the live-action Eva project was always Weta Workshop's idea, it's Weta's baby.

I don't blame ADV for being middle-men, but they openly admitted they had no creative control whatsoever and they were just "the money guys" --

yes, from a fan looking outside-in standpoint, it seemed like they were "dangling a carrot" and I wish they'd have just honestly said "okay, news isn't 'soon' because Hollywood moves very slowly guys, don't expect drastically big news in at least 12 months" (instead they always phrased it like there would be an announcement in a month or two)

I'm the guy that runs the Evangelion panels at Anime Boston, and I devoted 20 minutes to explaining the entire production history of the live-action Eva movies, and how they're actually not doing too bad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oPF4qifKi4&feature=PlayList&p=84014DB3B7483783&index=4

Ultimately, the success of Transformers got Hollywood "interested" in "giant robots from Japan" and various studios are actually fighting over the rights to make it now.

Seriously, even the collapse of ADV changes little; it was always Weta's baby, and ADV was just our version of the Saul Zaentz company; if the collapse of Miramax couldn't stop the Hobbit movie, nothing can stop Eva.

You see, I've noticed that many news outlets were kind of jaded and actually *didn't put much effort into reporting on Rebuild* (Even ANN's review was kind of malaise-filled and cynical)

because it's been *13 years* since Eva came out; the small group of people who saw Eva that long ago are running the news outlets, yes, and they've seen Eva.....

....but how do you explain the dichotomy, at big "classics of anime you have to watch" panels hosted at AB, people were shocked that HALF THE AUDIENCE had never seen Evangelion? (they did a show of hands)

So a new introduction was *drastically needed* when half the fanbase hasn't seen Eva, and the other half might need to get re-acquainted with an old friend (that and the changes in the dub were enough to keep it interesting; I just saw the English dub in an NYC theater last week)

at my panels, people had *no idea* what Rebuild was until I explained it to them, dozens of people were *gasping* at what was being changed, and by the end, were really enthusiastic for it?

You see, I'm tiring of waiting for ADV or ANN or the "people in charge" to get 'fired up' about Evangelion. I'm excited about it, the hundreds of people who came to my panels are excited about it, and we're not about to "slow down" anymore; that what we WERE doing since 2005 when the anime bubble burst...sitting around waiting for something to happen.

"We need a new hit like Pokemon or Ghost in the Shell:SAC"....what was Death Note?

Everyone keeps waiting for some mega-hit to save them, instead of trying to save themselves; you need to put WORK in to make a mega-hit;

so here's what we're going to do:

1-instruct Evangelion noobs instead of ignoring them, and actually explain the show (Eva isn't really that complicated, ANYONE can understand it)

2-bring in a whole new wave of fans from Rebuild of Eva, which will in turn renew buzz for a live-action Eva movie series

3- live-action Evangelion becomes the next LOTR or Matrix, creating a new interest in anime not seen since Akira dropped like a nuke in 1988.

4-at which point, Eva's in the theaters, God's in his heaven, and....

There's not going to magically be a "new mega-hit like before 2005" dropping out of the sky that will make people stop watching anime online and buy DVDs again"...that was Death Note, it already happened. The only way to make a new cross-genre hit will be to actively work towards promoting Rebuild of Eva as a means of laying the ground for Live action Eva.

Welcome to the ReVolution.

P.S. I contributed to an hour-long podcast where we discuss ADV's recent restructuring: http://www.isugoi.com/isugoi-podcast-episode-19/
pparker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote
The NewType USA magazine story is an example of the Japanese having brought the current situation on themselves to some degree. Here is a successful and beneficial activity for their business, but they drop it instantly at any suggestion that their terms could be negotiable. Oh, and Kadokawa being the apparent decision source for Haruhi 2's Endless Eight just reinforces that concept of market suicide.

Here's my rant (wow, 2 in one week, deja vu)... ADV - "TRY TO DECEIVE FANS AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE". Thank you. Being a 2 year old anime fan who came to it via film, not games/manga, I could care less about ADV after re-buying several series (falsely labelled "Platinum" instead of "Economy" after gutting the extras) and having to buy Evangelion three times to get the actual collectible version. The penultimate was the Platinum Perfect or whatever for $100+ where they just tossed old thinpak discs into a 50-cent tin box, without even stuffing to keep them from flying about since they only filled half the box--a box that looked literally nothing like the photos they distributed. They may have been "of the fans, for the fans" in the days of Devil Hunter Yohko, but those days were long gone when I came to anime.

CJ apparently isn't a fan of He Is My Master Wink I just re-watched it, and it beats the hell out of most otaku shows these days. So, there. At least it has some of the GAINAX touch to it. Mituski is an excellent character, too. And damn, now I have to mention the Sentai DVD release. I literally had to go back and watch the fansubs because the DVD video was so bad. Massive pixelization, literally pools of it, horrible coloration. Plus no notes, which in the fansub version added probably 15% to the enjoyment. Hell, all they had to do was rip off the script (which only varies by a few words anyway, so maybe they did) and notes from the fansubbers, who have no basis to complain. If this is an example of what Sentai intends to release, then I just hope they never license any shows that I like since I buy any show that I've watched in fansub. ([/rant], second time...)

Makes sense that Evangelion's limited theatrical release is a contractual thing. Locally, it's showing in a theater with a screen smaller than those at the Leammle Sunset 5, and scheduled at 11:00 pm. I'll probably still go to support it, but wish it was getting more love.

@_V_ - I really enjoyed your Boston Eva presentation, but could only make out about half of it due to the bad audio. Hope you do it again and get a good copy.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
Excuse me....but it seems you don't really know much about the current "Evangelion situation";

Wow, you sure get worked up over the smallest perceived inaccuracies don't you?

Quote:
Rebuild of Evangelion is *absolutely not* a Gurren Lagann/Inuyasha style clip show, "done with slightly better animation" leaks of the second Rebuild movie revealed that by the second movie, they've *drastically changed the storyline*

Be that as it may, we were talking about Eva 1.0, which by itself is 98% clip show with improved animation.

Quote:
the live-action Eva project was always Weta Workshop's idea, it's Weta's baby. I don't blame ADV for being middle-men, but they openly admitted they had no creative control whatsoever and they were just "the money guys" --

Are you really in a position to know that, or are you just extrapolating from what you've been spoon-fed at convention panels? (And even if they were "the money guys," they now have none.)

Quote:
I'm the guy that runs the Evangelion panels at Anime Boston, and I devoted 20 minutes to explaining the entire production history of the live-action Eva movies, and how they're actually not doing too bad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oPF4qifKi4

That explains your condescension, but not how you supposedly know more than other people. I'd give you a chance if I could make out any of this video, but it's a dark room with a tiny blurry powerpoint in the background and muffled dialogue.

I'm glad you still hold out hope in a live action Eva movie. It is still quite possible; stranger things have happened. But given the current state of the film industry (broke), the current state of how Evangelion is perceived by the mainstream (huh?), the amount of money a decent Eva movie would cost to make ($150M+), the current state of ADV (broken/respawning) and the recent track record for anime films (poor) anyone with even one foot in reality must admit that it's currently not looking so good.

Anyway, blah blah blah. I'm glad you are still a flaming Eva fanboy and are this worked up about the new movies. I, and I think many other people who have seen 1.0, are not excited about 1.0 because it's 98% retread, and simply isn't very entertaining or satisfying if you aren't already an Eva fan. Clearly you disagree.

I love Evangelion. I love the original series, I love the last two episodes, I love End of Eva. It was one of my defining series as an anime fan. I'm looking forward with baited breath towards the seeing the new Eva 2.0 movie. And so, as a fellow Eva fan, I have to say that your post reads like you wrote it while you were on PCP.
Baltimoron

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
Haven't you ever heard the saying there is no hierarchy amongst nerds?

Ahem...

The Geek Hierarchy

Also, I want a custom user title just so I can change it to "ribbity-bop"
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Justin, I too am looking forward to seeing Evangelion 2.0. However, even though I saw a fansubbed version of 1.0 almost a 1 1/2 years ago, End of Evangelion is still my favorite Evangelion version. I am making sure it stays that way.
_V_

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

Wow, you sure get worked up over the smallest perceived inaccuracies don't you?

Quote:
Quote:
Rebuild of Evangelion is *absolutely not* a Gurren Lagann/Inuyasha style clip show, "done with slightly better animation" leaks of the second Rebuild movie revealed that by the second movie, they've *drastically changed the storyline*

Be that as it may, we were talking about Eva 1.0, which by itself is 98% clip show with improved animation.

I'm reacting against your position that "it's mostly just the same", not for some "perceived innacuracies". Yes, the first movie is quite similar to the original storyline...and when we polled the audience at the bigger panels at AB, *half* hadn't seen Evangelion.

Damned if you don't and damned if you do, what if they had made it so returning-fan specific that new fans didn't get attracted to it?

Nonetheless I understand your point that at least the first movie isn't that different storyline wise...yet.

Quote:
Quote:
the live-action Eva project was always Weta Workshop's idea, it's Weta's baby. I don't blame ADV for being middle-men, but they openly admitted they had no creative control whatsoever and they were just "the money guys" --

Are you really in a position to know that, or are you just extrapolating from what you've been spoon-fed at convention panels? (And even if they were "the money guys," they now have none.)

1-I do not claim to have any insider information
2-I've been obsessively watching panel videos from national cons off youtube, as well as any Weta-traffic. If you actually watch each one and piece together stray comments (MOST of it is bluster, yes) its at least apparent that "ADV openly said they have no creative input to this".......and that Weta really wants to make it because they're personally fanboys for it.......the ADV Tekkoshocon 2006 panel was their news roundup for this, plus other Weta videos....the point is that yes, much if it is just "and we promise live action Eva!"....but the facts that were important to me are "Weta are themselves giant fans of the series", and "Richard Taylor sat down with Hideaki Anno himself and they bonded over their love of Eva, and of steam trains"...

Quote:
Quote:
I'm the guy that runs the Evangelion panels at Anime Boston, and I devoted 20 minutes to explaining the entire production history of the live-action Eva movies, and how they're actually not doing too bad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oPF4qifKi4

That explains your condescension, but not how you supposedly know more than other people.

"Damned if you do and damned if you don't": in 2005 I'd never seen Evangelion, and I started out as *a random fan that watched it off Giant Robot Week on Toonami, then off of Adult Swim*....within 3 years I advanced to "running Eva panel at a national con".....BEFORE that I was dismissed as "Who are you to have an opinion on Eva? You're just a random fan!".....and *now*, it's "How does running a panel make you smarter about Eva?"....

...admittedly, it doesn't Mr. Sevakis; most of the idiots running panels (i.e. Sean McCoy at Fanime) don't know what the heck they're talking about and I myself have often pointed out that "the guys who have been running panels since 2002 don't really know what they're talking about we just blindly trust them because they've been running panels for years"

...what was I supposed to say? At least I'm not "just some random fan" now... Smile working my way up the food chain, sir, working my way up the food chain: I'm surprised I've advanced this far since it started running on Adult Swim. I was just worried at being dismissed out of hand...

Quote:
I'd give you a chance if I could make out any of this video, but it's a dark room with a tiny blurry powerpoint in the background and muffled dialogue.

Sorry about that, I'm just using off-the-shelf technology (Vista laptop with basic webcam attachment and *not* the greatest speakers*)

Nonetheless, *ask and ye shall receive* I did an earlier version of more or less the same panel at a local con in a smaller room, with the camera closer (keep in mind that it was made in April 2009 and isn't quite as "refined" as the later version, just recorded more clearly) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLFWs9_NKiE&feature=related

Quote:
I'm glad you still hold out hope in a live action Eva movie. It is still quite possible; stranger things have happened. But given the current state of the film industry (broke), the current state of how Evangelion is perceived by the mainstream (huh?), the amount of money a decent Eva movie would cost to make ($150M+), the current state of ADV (broken/respawning) and the recent track record for anime films (poor) anyone with even one foot in reality must admit that it's currently not looking so good.

All valid points: I don't seriously think live action Eva could *possibly* start in the next 4-5 years...which is just about as long as it should take to get Rebuild of Eva 4.0 finished and English dubbed out here.

Quote:
I'm glad you are still a flaming Eva fanboy and are this worked up about the new movies.

I'm no fanboy....the whole "ReVolution" thing got started this year when I realized "the fanboys run everything and have no idea what they're doing"...this is hard to prove in a paragraph of text, so....

Quote:
I, and I think many other people who have seen 1.0, are not excited about 1.0 because it's 98% retread, and simply isn't very entertaining or satisfying if you aren't already an Eva fan. Clearly you disagree.

All of the "major news outlets" say that "reaction to Rebuild was lukewarm"....every audience I saw it with, at cons and clubs and everywhere, has been absolutely raving and cheering about it. *the people that run all of the news outlets are obviously jaded veterans who have seen the series long ago*.....but the Narutards who we're "uplifting" into educated Eva fans? They think its mind-blowing. Everywhere I see, excitement about Eva is fever-pitch...the problem is that we're having trouble "getting the word out" because the news outlets have reached the foregone conclusion that "Eva is old"

Quote:
I love Evangelion. I love the original series, I love the last two episodes, I love End of Eva. It was one of my defining series as an anime fan. I'm looking forward with baited breath towards the seeing the new Eva 2.0 movie. And so, as a fellow Eva fan, I have to say that your post reads like you wrote it while you were on PCP.

If I seem enthusiastic, it is merely because of my zealotry.

But four years of nothing but failure from the anime industry and the fanboys to actually get live-action Eva off the ground, has finally convinced me to take matters into my own hands.

***I'm not crazy, and I realize that at this point this just seems like the ramblings of a fan, and I don't seriously think my "enthusiasm" is enough to change your mind just now. People need results.

But remember: the first step to getting live-action Eva is *wanting* it, and no one is going to do it *for* us....in the sense that there really isn't as much of a "support structure" for Eva as there was for the LOTR trilogy (LOTR's main problem is that so many guidebooks to LOTR were already written, it was so "figured out", that the only problem wass getting the movie to match it.....th problem with Eva is, it's infamously "that show no one understands..."

Ultimately what I know is that I was standing in front of a two hundred person crowd cheering about Rebuild of Eva. They didn't lose their enthusiasm. And that's the first step.

With Evangelion, all things are possible.
Myaow

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:08 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
Richard Taylor sat down with Hideaki Anno himself and they bonded over their love of Eva

_V_ wrote:
Hideaki Anno ... love of Eva

OBJECTION! ಠ_ಠ

re: everything else, people are just saying that Eva 1.0 is recap. Which it is. Eva 2.0 might be crazy and undermine the plot and make Shinji change his shirts sometimes, but Eva 1.0 is basically the same as before with more product placement and so people who have watched the original a billion times may enjoy it less than someone who has never seen it before.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:24 pm Reply with quote
<snip>

HeeroTX, <snip> I'd like to know why don't you want to watch Eva. I'd just assume it's for negative reasons. Maybe because it's an older anime?

[Edited: Feel free to disagree with _V_, but do so politely, rather than tossing snide and pointless remarks his way. -t]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_V_

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I thought we were embarrassed by the accusations that the internet has limited our attention spans to the point that no one buys magazines anymore because they think the articles are "too long"?

But to make a long story short: while Rebuild of Eva #1 is largely the same storyboarding but redone to an amazing level, saying it was "re-animated slightly better" confuses people into thinking its like the Director's Cut episodes, which its not.

But more importantly: there's an entire new generation of fans that has actually not seen the series and needs to get introduced to it all over again.

I suppose this would have to be compared to the many Gundam spinoffs: "Why bother wasting 6 episodes introducing the characters when we know who they are from the 1970's series"? Well...not everyone does.

If anime fandom is to survive, it needs to be "a big tent", and to "Proselytize" amongst the noobs.

If there is hope, it lies in the Noobs.
Sirenlove

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:48 pm Reply with quote
ha ha only came in because of a tweet.

I had no clue I was so high up on the geek hierarchy ha ha. nice!

Podcast was extremely interesting this week. I was totally engrossed and it was probably the longest at of all of them. I cant believe Justin only talked about NYAF for like two seconds and the other 2 minutes were NY and NY prostitutes. Damn, I guess we didn't leave much of an impression!! geez...

Oh and I'm mad my question wasn't picked. I love you guys anyway though. Wink
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:19 pm Reply with quote
SIRENS?
Sirenlove

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:33 pm Reply with quote
animenexus wrote:
SIRENS?

....?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4