• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Johnston Waxes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:00 am Reply with quote
I think it's all the same. DC, Marvel and whatnot may have their 500 issue series, but japan has their shounen series as well.

Even if you're talking about something like Eva which is one story told over a season + a movie, you still wont get the same audience to get into the anime. The mainstream who would watch a live action film still have a bias against the "cartoons" which they think are still for kids.

If Eva was originally a manga, the mainstream wouldn't read that either because, again, comic books are for kids.

Most of the audience who would watch a live action anime/manga adaptation don't want to read a book or watch a cartoon. They want more live action sequels!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:18 am Reply with quote
Yeah, rather then a "dumpster" (I know you guys were kind of joking too so don't worry) CR seems more like a "okay we can't get DVDs right now but we can at least get some face time with fans and not loss completely from fansubs" type of place. Like GATSU (was it Gatsu? probably Gatsu) said, it serves as a testing grounds for questionable series that may or may not do well outside of Japan; relying more on statisical numbers rather then word of mouth or the "no really, we'll buy it" people.

As for DVD releases from CR streams We have Drugaa, Linebarrel, Strike Witches, Blassrieter, and I guess technically Naruto. There might be a reason as to why there is gap between them.

Great podcast. I enjoy hearing inside the industry type stuff.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:32 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
We have Drugaa, Linebarrel, Strike Witches, Blassrieter, and I guess technically Naruto. There might be a reason as to why there is gap between them.

Of course, all the series you listed (except Naruto) are GONZO titles, which FUNimation has practically a monopoly on nowadays. Non-Gonzo series, however, probably won't be as lucky.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I think it also has to do with the fact they were the first legal streams of the site. So I was figuring that there might be a licensing restriction on to when they can move from exclusive streams to DVD releases on top of everything else we can speculate cause I think a number of those were also "download to own too". I'd honestly be surprised if at least 25% of those titles on CR don't get the Subs only treatment within the next few years. With live streams I don't feel a series gets the urgency to be released on DVDs like they use too since it address the "attention span" and "fansub" issues for the most part.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm not reading the rest of the thread, but I'm going to reply to this anyway.

penguintruth wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Gamers are part of a much sadder culture than anime otaku, in my opinion.

I don't want to start a war of the nerds here, but...

You can't be serious.

... But if so, what makes you think that way?

Video gamers, the hardcore ones at least, are smug and self-aggrandizing, as if playing a video game is like a sport or some great skill useful to society. If you play against a seasoned gamer, you had better be at least as good as they are, or they'll treat you like garbage.

The gamer rooms at anime conventions are full of hardcore gamers who never shower because they want to save their place in front of their game. Gamer rooms smell like gerbil cages. They try to get you thrown out of the room, or they laugh when you want to play a game and you aren't some super gamer. Video gamers are the plague of anime cons.

I've been laughed out of arcades for not being great at Marvel vs Capcom. The arcade owner actually threw me out for not being good enough.

Most of the gamers I've known are scum. They think they're actually doing something beneficial for society. They're not. They're playing video games. They're delusional.

As other(s) said, you can find nerds like that in any fandom.

And I think you need to know better people. I don't personally know anyone like you described, and lots of my friends, including myself, are really into games.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Too bad that an anime mag fell even though it was doing well. Very frusterating. Anime Insiders fall was just as frusterating. Its amazing that any print media that actually makes a profit could get axed.

A Crunchyroll show that I wish were on R1 is Gintama. It has an Italian sub, and most of its Shonen Jump counterparts are available dubbed in English, but at 200-plus eps, I doubt it'll ever get a release here.

I like the podcasts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4