• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds North Star TV, Lupin Ep. 0, Sea Prince & Fire Child

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm buying them all.
Macron One

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I never expected Fist of the North Star to get another shot at an American release, so this is a pleasant surprise. I'll buy this as soon as it's released.

Hannish Lightning wrote:
Hopefully FotNS gets a dub. No dub=no go

It won't. At most they might include the partial dub that Manga did quite a few years back. Old anime has never sold large numbers unless it was previously shown on mainstream U.S. television (nostalgia factor).For a small company like Discotek to spend over a million dollars dubbing a series which has at most a few thousand hardcore fans would be lunacy. The number of sales lost due to the lack of a dub should be comparatively minor, as most fans of old anime series have by necessity become accustomed to watching them subbed.

I think Discotek has the right release strategy. Four 38-episode sets should make this an affordable title and a sub-only release should minimize the production cost involved. I look forward to purchasing the Fist of the North Star sets and might buy Lupin ep. 0 as well just to show my support for this release strategy. If succesfull, I hope Dicotek might consider releasing other classics such as Rose of Versailles, the Dirty Pair TV series or Akazukin Chacha.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:

What's wrong with Akira Kamiya, or Toshio Furukawa or Kaneto Shiozawa for that matter?
TheTheory

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Macron One wrote:
I never expected Fist of the North Star to get another shot at an American release, so this is a pleasant surprise. I'll buy this as soon as it's released.

Hannish Lightning wrote:

It won't. At most they might include the partial dub that Manga did quite a few years back. Old anime has never sold large numbers unless it was previously shown on mainstream U.S. television (nostalgia factor).For a small company like Discotek to spend over a million dollars dubbing a series which has at most a few thousand hardcore fans would be lunacy. The number of sales lost due to the lack of a dub should be comparatively minor, as most fans of old anime series have by necessity become accustomed to watching them subbed.

While I agree completely that there is no way this gets dubbed for the very reasons you mention, I'm pretty sure it won't cost a million dollars to dub. But however much the dubbing does cost on a 152 episode series, it won't be worth it for them to put that extra cost out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
E-Master

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote
OMG! I'd never think there'll be another Region 1 DVD of a Lupin III TV special. Cause it's been nearly 2 years since there's ever been a new Region 1 DVD of Lupin.

I was disappointed when Discotek was unable to obtain the DVD rights for "Gold of Babylon", how dare TMS raise the value on that movie. But this is good news, if Discotek was unable to release that Lupin movie, then a different one is better than none.

If Discotek obtain rights to the Fist of the North Star TV series, will that mean that Funimation will drop their streaming rights to the series or are they still alloud to stream the episodes on their website? Course I'm a little behind on "Fist of the North Star", and I only saw the OVA & the animated Movie(which was recently released by Discotek).

Anyways I'm glad to see that Discotek is releasing more anime. I'm looking forward to the "Episode 0" TV special the most.
NeXT_Alchemist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:53 pm Reply with quote
This is awesome news, I'll be getting Fist of the North star and Lupin for sure.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If succesfull, I hope Dicotek might consider releasing other classics such as Rose of Versailles, the Dirty Pair TV series or Akazukin Chacha.

I'm with you on that! I wonder if they'll release other titles like Ringing Bell, the Unico movies, Lady Lady, or even Candy Candy! That or maybe even some World Masterpiece Theater titles! But I wonder if they'll release modern-day anime too?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Fist of the North Star on DVD well...is just awesome. I'm also interested in the Lupin special, to a lesser extent, but it should still be good considering it's Lupin.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:19 pm Reply with quote
E-Master wrote:
If Discotek obtain rights to the Fist of the North Star TV series, will that mean that Funimation will drop their streaming rights to the series or are they still alloud to stream the episodes on their website? Course I'm a little behind on "Fist of the North Star", and I only saw the OVA & the animated Movie(which was recently released by Discotek).

To be honest, that's a damn good question. I would doubt it though. I mean...Kaleido Star and Speed Racer are on Crunchyroll and they've already got DVD releases.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:26 pm Reply with quote
E-Master wrote:
If Discotek obtain rights to the Fist of the North Star TV series, will that mean that Funimation will drop their streaming rights to the series or are they still alloud to stream the episodes on their website?

It shouldn't. FUNimation's streaming rights stem from Toei, the same company that sold the DVD distribution rights for FOTNS to Discotek. Discotek's license is probably just for DVD.
I SHALL WIN THE INTERNETZ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:26 pm Reply with quote
KanjiZ wrote:

152 episodes in the series
4 DVD sets

152/4 = 38

38 episodes per set.

Surprised
I'm in shock...*shot for dumb pun*

can anyone mind telling me story of how they're releasing the series NAOOOO instead OVER 9000! years ago?
edzieba

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:36 pm Reply with quote
E-Master wrote:
I was disappointed when Discotek was unable to obtain the DVD rights for "Gold of Babylon"
To be honest, I don't think many will miss Babylon (especially anyone who's actually had the misfortune to watch it).
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Now while I am ECSTATIC that FotNS is coming over here in complete form....I am a little puzzled. A little while ago, another company announced that they had FotNS and they were going to chop them up into 6 movie arcs. Now does this new news mean that the compilations are not going to happen now, or is this some other deal entirely? (one company gets all 152 eps, the other gets them but can only produce them in movie form?)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Oh. My. God.

Lupin III: Episode 0: First Contact (long enough title?)?

My favorite Lupin III TV special, licensed! To be released on domestic DVD! All right! I'm so jazzed about it.

Not so jazzed about DiscoTec's awful dub cast crew (Plot of the Fuma Clan was not a good dub), but whatever, bilingual disc!

So glad to wake up to this news.

(Now, if they can only grab Alcatraz Connection...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:02 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
KanjiZ wrote:
I want to no Fist of the North Star's release. If it's going to be about 10 episodes a set, or disc I'm not buying it. Now if it's about 30 or so episodes, I'll buy it.

I just hope that they at least make an effort to get one of these into Best Buy.

Discotek's release of the series will be in 4 sets.

Let's do a little math. :)

152 episodes in the series
4 DVD sets

152/4 = 38

38 episodes per set.

THanks, just noticed that. Discotek is usually rational in their pricing so if they sell it around 50 bucks a set, it sounds reasonable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4