• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(A) Certain Scientific Railgun (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:45 pm Reply with quote
that was one hell of a finale. sure, there were a lot questionable things going on, but I couldn't care less. I like Kongou now, and Wannai and Awatsuki were pretty damn cool. Overall, this was a good second seaosn, and I liked this filler arc. this gets an Excellent
Pacal II

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Lol spoiler[Touma]. You didn't get to do anything.
He was probably tired after beating up nuns or something like that Very Happy.

I really liked the last episode. It was just so... charming. Nice to watch an episode like that, after some of the darker ones earlier on. I've also got some new found respect for Saten after seeing her beat up robots with a baseball bat and later on driving a mecha. Misaka bitch-slapping that excuse for a scientist was awesome to ;].
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Agreed, nice wrap-up. I gave this show a Good rating. There was just too much about the Sisters Arc that I wasn't onboard with to go higher.
Pacal II

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Agreed, nice wrap-up. I gave this show a Good rating. There was just too much about the Sisters Arc that I wasn't onboard with to go higher.
Like what?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Pacal II wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Like what?

page 57
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Two middle school girls capable of executing an orbital attack on a ballistic incoming MIRV without any protective clothing beyond Misaka's shorts complete with unassisted re-entry -- and after that they still get to be kids excited by a field trip tomorrow. Good stuff.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Yep. This post of mine pretty much sums up my beef with the Sisters Arc:

Quote:
I never really liked the Accelerator character (until Index II when he had changed), I didn't enjoy the spectacle of the Misaki clones getting torn apart after the show went out of its way to show their cute side, I didn't like the fact that the rest of Misaki's friends got short shrift in the Arc and the fact that I knew how it was all going to turn out didn't exactly give it a zesty fresh feel to me.
OH&S

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:04 pm Reply with quote
IF you can turn your brain off just for this last episode, Railgun S ep24 will be one of the most enjoyable anime episodes of the entire year.

However, a lot of Index LN readers have gotten used to thinking with their brain when reading and have an inability to turn it back off when viewing something like this episode which is supposed to exist in a universe in which you are supposed to think with your brain.

I guess all I'm trying to say is: don't be too hard on the people who don't like this episode, because their brains are still working.

However, DO NOT use this arc or episode as a reference of character's capabilities or character growth as it is complete BS. Have fun with the episode, but don't use it in any argument regarding Raildex in the future.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 24 (finale)

That was a perfect finale, and exactly why I prefer Railgun to Index. This was like the first season finale, but multiplied, took me a moment to realize when they spoiler[looked at the mecha while the rocket was launched exactly what they were going to do. First season had a mech arm turned into a railgun bullet, this time Mikoto sent the entire mech], of course to such great music as Level 5 Judgelight, we need our cool OP songs. They manage to pull off multiple climax's, friendship speeches, fights, emotional moments, all without coming off too campy.

Extra points for moments with Mikoto spoiler[referring to herself as an idiot for planning to die as an easy way out, the Sisters thanking Shinobu and calling Janie and Febri] (January and February, just got that) their little sisters, and like quoting something like Mikoto. The spoiler[Misaka sisters] are one of my favourites, their sass and all.

We had a quick mention of Endymion from the movie, Accelerator with Last Order, and what the third season will be. With all the girls of Railgun getting some part in the end, and such moments like all of spoiler[Judgement reciting Kuroko's creed] was great with hearing Kuroko's reaction.

The first half of this season was in ways a big remake of what we had seen in Index. But they were really able to show they had improved over time, managing to make some very memorable moments from things we had already seen before. In many ways I could call some flawless execution, starting this season off with a bang, and sending us down a rollercoaster that shows this spinoff can stand on its own feet, I recall some funny parts with the Sisters. I give the series an Excellent, it may have not quite reached a masterpiece state, but they did a pretty good job. Can we get Index season 3 done so we can get back to Railgun?

Also good work for the first anime original arc in Railgun and Index turning out so good.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:40 am Reply with quote
I loved the finale, one of the best finale episodes I've seen for the way it tied everything together and gave everyone a chance to really shine. Tons of epic moments throughout.

Quote:
Two middle school girls capable of executing an orbital attack on a ballistic incoming MIRV without any protective clothing beyond Misaka's shorts complete with unassisted re-entry -- and after that they still get to be kids excited by a field trip tomorrow. Good stuff.

Lol, I don't think they actually broke the atmosphere, they just went really high up, where it's cold and the air is thin, but so long as you don't stay up there too long you'll be fine. They also wouldn't have to worry about re-entry since they never left and were not going at the speeds an orbital craft would. People parachute from those heights from time to time, and they only need to worry about the cold and oxygen levels. With Kuroko to shortcut their decent they probably weren't in the danger zone for more than a minute or so.

Quote:
Reply with quote Report Post
Yep. This post of mine pretty much sums up my beef with the Sisters Arc:

I think they did as much with it as they possibly could without completely rewriting the arc it spun out of. They gave Misaka a lot more to do over the course of it, and made her a much more ative participant, but at the end of the day it's established that what happened, happens.

The bit that bothered me was how bits kept falling off the mech, clearly in the style of a multi-stage rocket, but there really isn't any point to doing that since the limbs were not actually rocket boosters. If they only intended to get the torso up there then they should have ejected all the other bits on the ground.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Man, that last episode! It's clear that Nagai is attempting to top last season's finale with even more crazy spectacle, action set pieces, and POWER OF FRIENDSHIP! Laughing

I have a bit more to say, but I'm assuming Key is going to post an official review for the rest of the episodes on the site so I'll wait on that.

OH&S wrote:

I guess all I'm trying to say is: don't be too hard on the people who don't like this episode, because their brains are still working.

However, DO NOT use this arc or episode as a reference of character's capabilities or character growth as it is complete BS. Have fun with the episode, but don't use it in any argument regarding Raildex in the future.

The mixed reactions from the Raildex fanbase especially ones who read the manga and light novels ahead of time is so horrific, it makes me want to just continue with just the Railgun anime and judge it on its own terms and not deal with the original source. While I understand some of their issues with the Febrie arc (the big bad STUDY weren't as threatening as Accelerator or even ITEM), their claims that it "ruined" Mikoto in the long run feels rather abrasive. I'd say the lessons of her willing to ask for help when going gets tough is the main theme that encompasses this season.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:38 pm Reply with quote
While I don't think it ruins Mikoto or anything, it's just that it doesn't fit with future events. Just look at Index II and the Remnant arc. Once again Mikoto doesn't ask for help and goes it alone.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
While I don't think it ruins Mikoto or anything, it's just that it doesn't fit with future events. Just look at Index II and the Remnant arc. Once again Mikoto doesn't ask for help and goes it alone.

Then again, Index 2 tends to treat Mikoto as an over glorified side character (which contextually that generally IS her role in the Index anime).

Hell, season one adaptation of Railgun Mikoto was pretty much incompatible with her presentation of Season one Index.

But to get to the point, bitching about an adaptation of a character means you might ignore an otherwise decent piece of media work, it would be akin to complaining about every "anime: THE MOVIE" because either a character acts slightly out of character considering future developments or they gain some sort of power that is never seen again in series that would easily resolve several issues in the main storyline if they could just use there movie powerz.
OH&S

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:38 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

OH&S wrote:

The mixed reactions from the Raildex fanbase especially ones who read the manga and light novels ahead of time is so horrific, it makes me want to just continue with just the Railgun anime and judge it on its own terms and not deal with the original source. While I understand some of their issues with the Febrie arc (the big bad STUDY weren't as threatening as Accelerator or even ITEM), their claims that it "ruined" Mikoto in the long run feels rather abrasive. I'd say the lessons of her willing to ask for help when going gets tough is the main theme that encompasses this season.

Okay, I probably got ahead of myself when I said that. I'll be a bit more specific:
The character abilities as seen in the final episode (minus Kongou-trio) are complete BS while the character development merely comes across as diasagreeable. I agree with your interpretation of the main theme of the season. Actually, in general it can be taken as one of the main themes of the entire franchise (Index included), so that itself isnt the issue. There are just a few factors surrounding the delivery of said theme in this arc that makes it difficult for some LN readers to swallow. But I wont bore you with the details. As for Mikoto being 'ruined'...thats going a tad bit too far.

FenixFiesta wrote:
Then again, Index 2 tends to treat Mikoto as an over glorified side character (which contextually that generally IS her role in the Index anime).

Hell, season one adaptation of Railgun Mikoto was pretty much incompatible with her presentation of Season one Index.

I personally wouldn't even use the Index animes as a comparison as they weren't the best adaptation of the source material in the first place (not terrible though).

Quote:
But to get to the point, bitching about an adaptation of a character means you might ignore an otherwise decent piece of media work, it would be akin to complaining about every "anime: THE MOVIE" because either a character acts slightly out of character considering future developments or they gain some sort of power that is never seen again in series that would easily resolve several issues in the main storyline if they could just use there movie powerz.

I honestly WISH it was that simple. The above line of reasoning would work well for the Index Movie or any spinoff game but it doesn't quite work for the anime original Railgun story arcs. Again, I won't bore you with the details.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
OH&S wrote:
The character abilities as seen in the final episode (minus Kongou-trio) are complete BS while the character development merely comes across as diasagreeable. I agree with your interpretation of the main theme of the season. Actually, in general it can be taken as one of the main themes of the entire franchise (Index included), so that itself isnt the issue. There are just a few factors surrounding the delivery of said theme in this arc that makes it difficult for some LN readers to swallow. But I wont bore you with the details.

No, go ahead and bore me (but be sure to use appropriate spoiler tags for anything that's LN-specific that hasn't happened yet in animated content). You're saying that a lot of LN fans have issue with this arc, and I want to know exactly why. Although I wasn't impressed with it at first, I thought it had a great second half, so I want to understand what I'm apparently missing here that makes it so "disagreeable."

Oh, and on a totally different point: while I probably will do a review on this second arc, it's not likely to happen soon. I'm trying to get AoT written up before the Fall Preview Guide starts (possibly tomorrow night, definitely by Thursday), so it'll likely be a couple of weeks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 71 of 72