• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(A) Certain Scientific Railgun (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clarste

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:07 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Well, just because they mention it doesn't necessarily mean it'll be covered. Still, from what I know of it it'll be needed to set up the Daihaseisai arc.

Conservation of detail. It'd be a pretty epic writing failure to not include it, because then by the time they got around to making a third season everyone will have already forgotten the foreshadowing.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:26 am Reply with quote
Well this is the kind of series that will playfully make reference to stuff from other materials. Remember in season 1 when Komoe mentioned some one blowing the roof off her place? That's actually a pretty important detail for this season.
Clarste

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:31 am Reply with quote
This isn't a casual throwaway remark though, they spent quite a lot of time on it. And not just this episode either, they mentioned it in an earlier episode as well. At this point, if they don't cover it the audience will be wondering what happened. It's not nearly the same thing as a cameo character making a cryptic remark.
Zork

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:05 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Zork wrote:
According to the Encyclopedia Railgun S has only 12 episodes. Does that mean the entire season is going to feature only the "Sisters" arc even though the OP shows Mikoto fighting against several antagonists?

This is a common mistake I see people making all the time. The Encyclopedia says "Episode titles: We have 12," which means ANN only has titles/air dates for 12 episodes. If the series was 12 episodes, then it would say "Number of episodes: 12."

As for the people in the opening, they are a part of the Sisters Arc, not something separate.

Clarste wrote:
They're talking about the field trip to California, which is the subject of one of the spin-off novels, so they're certainly going to do that arc too.

Well, just because they mention it doesn't necessarily mean it'll be covered. Still, from what I know of it it'll be needed to set up the Daihaseisai arc.

Thanks for the clarification. I absolutely loved the first season of Railgun and was really looking forward to this season, but if it focused solely on the "Sisters" arc I would drop it from my viewing list. I feel that killing 10000 living beings, even if they're clones, is just reprehensible. I hate Accelerator for even agreeing to do it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:10 am Reply with quote
Zork wrote:
Thanks for the clarification. I absolutely loved the first season of Railgun and was really looking forward to this season, but if it focused solely on the "Sisters" arc I would drop it from my viewing list. I feel that killing 10000 living beings, even if they're clones, is just reprehensible. I hate Accelerator for even agreeing to do it.

Well you're not supposed to find it acceptable. It's never portrayed as something acceptable.

Though Railgun does go a bit more into why Accelerator took part in the first place.

Still, it could be set up like season one, where the Level Upper arc was finished by episode 12 and the rest of the show was for other stuff.

Speaking of season 1... I hear there was an episode 13.5 but I've never been able to find it, not even fansubbed. Has anyone actually seen it?
Clarste

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:34 am Reply with quote
I can understand viewers being made uncomfortable, but that disgust is kind of the whole point of the arc. It's the driving motivation for both Mikoto and Touma. If it's making you disgusted then it's properly doing it's job, and you weren't disgusted by it in Index then that's just bad storytelling.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:38 am Reply with quote
I remember there were two big things that made me feel especially sick and uncomfortable in Index. One was the fact spoiler[Touma lost all of his memories, almost his entire character, and he doesn't tell anyone, and never getting the consideration he deserves]. The other was that spoiler[after having the cute Misaka clone introduced, one who desired to be friends with animals, we see one dead, that the cat lover may be next].
Zork

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Clarste wrote:
I can understand viewers being made uncomfortable, but that disgust is kind of the whole point of the arc. It's the driving motivation for both Mikoto and Touma. If it's making you disgusted then it's properly doing it's job, and you weren't disgusted by it in Index then that's just bad storytelling.

It disgusts me because it is bad story telling. How on earth is an already super strong Level 5 esper supposed to become even stronger by killing 10000 weaker opponents? If anything, the longer the killing goes on the more bored and indifferent the killer should become, not stronger.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:35 pm Reply with quote
You've never heard of level grinding?
Clarste

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Zork wrote:
Clarste wrote:

It disgusts me because it is bad story telling. How on earth is an already super strong Level 5 esper supposed to become even stronger by killing 10000 weaker opponents? If anything, the longer the killing goes on the more bored and indifferent the killer should become, not stronger.

Do you know how psychic powers work? Because I sure don't.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:17 pm Reply with quote
There is also the fact that the spoiler[Sisters were supposed to get better and better at taking him on so that their threat level also rose.]
Zork

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
You've never heard of level grinding?

Yes I have. I've played a lot of RPGs in my time, from Zork and Ultima on a Commodore 64 to the Fallout series and Obivion on my current PC, just to name a few. Hence my screen name.

But Railgun S isn't some RPG. If level grinding is the actual method the author had in mind when he thought of this storyline, then to me its a lazy and cheap way just to wring some emotion from people. Apparently it worked for some.

As for the clones becoming stronger after each encounter: what does it matter? Anyone who uses any form of physical attack is going to lose against Accelerator. Again, its just lazy storytelling.
Clarste

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Given that we don't really know what Level 6 even means, I'm not sure there's any way for us to judge what would or would not work as a means of achieving it. Heck, have we ever seen anyone level up normally?

For all we know there's something special that happens to the AIM field when a psychic dies.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Zork wrote:
But Railgun S isn't some RPG. If level grinding is the actual method the author had in mind when he thought of this storyline, then to me its a lazy and cheap way just to wring some emotion from people. Apparently it worked for some.

That's just how it works. Tree Diagram said so, so if you have problems take it up with it.

Oh wait, you can't Laughing
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Zork wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
Zork wrote:
According to the Encyclopedia Railgun S has only 12 episodes. Does that mean the entire season is going to feature only the "Sisters" arc even though the OP shows Mikoto fighting against several antagonists?

This is a common mistake I see people making all the time. The Encyclopedia says "Episode titles: We have 12," which means ANN only has titles/air dates for 12 episodes. If the series was 12 episodes, then it would say "Number of episodes: 12."

As for the people in the opening, they are a part of the Sisters Arc, not something separate.

Clarste wrote:
They're talking about the field trip to California, which is the subject of one of the spin-off novels, so they're certainly going to do that arc too.

Well he does get what's coming to him by spoiler[loosing a chunk of his brain and does have change heart later with last order later down the road slightly becoming a different person.]

Does this excuse him for killing 10,000 clones of one person?? No not really and nothing can bring them back. Still Accelerator to me is the vegeta of raildex. He is the anti-hero that was always out for his own selfish interests but changes through the course of the series through set course of personal experiences/choices. Simply put you either love him or hate him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 37 of 72