• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: French Mysterious Cities of Gold Sequel's Opening Aired

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banjo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
this looks bad Twisted Evil
lostrune

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Despite being over 30 years old, I think the original hand-drawn series had better animation Laughing
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I have almost as much trepidation about this as I do about Star Wars Episode VII.

I loved MCoG as a kid. Even now, the original series is entertaining. I shuddered watching that trailer Shocked
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Huh! I actually thought that was amazingly well-rendered. It's strange how different people can see the same thing and have completely different opinions. Maybe it's because the spirit feels a bit different, kind of like a mid-90's cartoon series (which I also have nostalgia for).
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Im fine they kept the old animation, but just disappointed a little thinking of what this could have looked like if they used more modern anime influenced art style.
maaya

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Sure, they are sticking with the old art style of the original series, but the animation itself is really good. The movements of the characters are more fluid than in most anime series from this year. And they manage quite well to make 3D look like 2D / make the combination look harmonious. Only the gold bird would have needed a final touch imho, but animes generally don't manage to do this much better (rather on the contrary).

I hope this series is good and successful and maybe we'll see more sequels of series that have been forgotten by the japanese animation studios ...
Swissman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
The movements of the characters are more fluid than in most anime series from this year.

Well, that's because the character themselves are 3D models. Cel shading fools us into believing they're traditionally 2D animated, but the movements are too fluid and a bit too stiff to be real 2D.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BonusStage

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
The movements of the characters are more fluid than in most anime series from this year.

I found this video looked terribly jerky and moved unnatural and a prime example why we should be glad Japan hasn't thrown away their animation studios in favor of Flash/CG programs yet. Confused
maaya

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's also a matter of taste, but with more traditional animation the movements can be (and frequently are) jerky and unnatural as well. But on the other hand in animes I have the impression that they often simply don't animate a lot of movements, instead they switch perspective, use zoom and speedlines etc.

Swissman wrote:
Well, that's because the character themselves are 3D models. Cel shading fools us into believing they're traditionally 2D animated, but the movements are too fluid and a bit too stiff to be real 2D.

True, and personally I'm not really a fan of this, but at least in the opening they do a better job with it than many animes, where the 3D models tend to stick out badly imho.

Anyway, more important than animation for me is the content. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1