• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Fists of Fury

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:22 am Reply with quote
That room is so cluttered! How does she sleep?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:24 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
You can draw a character and make her any age you wish to. Yoko certainly doesn't look 14, and despite some real 14 year olds being mature and growing up fast, I'm sure that none look like Yoko. That's a fully mature body that you don't see until after 17 years of age. Gainax just says she's 14 because the Eva pilots, and almost all of the other Gainax protagonists are 14.

Quoted for Truth, with a capital "T". Not only does Yoko not look 14, she doesn't act it. And on a personal note, I think the dynamic between her, Simon and Kamina is much more poignant when she's in Kamina's age bracket -- and much more realistic. I really don't care what Gainax has to say on the matter; although, I almost think their saying she is 14 is something of a jab at otaku. But I digress.

That aside, He is My Master is a series that I could never bring myself to pick up in printed or animated form, based on title alone. Bamboo's review confirms my expectations of it.

Oh, and very nice use of the Death Note Laughing
Panon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:39 am Reply with quote
I'm curious as to where Bamboo is thinking there are hordes of HIMM fans.

I don't remember it ever being liked by... well, anyone. It's pretty much the low point of Gainax's history. Or maybe it's just a notch above This Ugly Yet Beautiful World.
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
For the record, the sisters are 13 and 14. So the next time you're watching Izumi's breasts bobble around and you reach for a tissue, think about your kid sister.

I think that's the best thing to tell guys who watch the perverted fanservice shows. If they actually have a little sister it's even better!
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:46 am Reply with quote
That was a cool Death Note figure. I also liked the Joker one, even if it wasn't the artist's intentions. Counter culture.

And, I still like the gator. I take comedy for comedy and leave the rest to the ones that are best not knowing.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:38 am Reply with quote
Meh, I kind of liked He is My Master.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:45 am Reply with quote
it's cool that Raoh got a some approval from Bamboo.. as R1 (thanks to Discotek) will get the Adventures of Kenshiro... 152 episodes full of martial arts mayhem and people exploding!!!!!

Last edited by Vicserr on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:48 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:

Oh yeah, my boyfriend has a theory about Gainax - he figures they're trying to convince people to have sex with 14 year old girls. If you think about it, it makes perfect sense - I mean, Yoko, anyone?

walw6pK4Alo wrote:

You can draw a character and make her any age you wish to. Yoko certainly doesn't look 14, and despite some real 14 year olds being mature and growing up fast, I'm sure that none look like Yoko. That's a fully mature body that you don't see until after 17 years of age. Gainax just says she's 14 because the Eva pilots, and almost all of the other Gainax protagonists are 14.

And hence the joke - Gainax seems to have a thing for the 14 year old age bracket. I dunno what it is, but they just seem so stuck on that age.
Anyway, in my mind, Yoko will never be 14. I'll just assign the imaginary age of 25 to her, because to me, she just looks and acts like a 25 year old.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:22 am Reply with quote
I laughed a good bit with the HIMM description. HIMM doesn't look like it would be enjoyable, but I am going to rent it to see just how bad it could be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bci110

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:46 am Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
I laughed a good bit with the HIMM description. HIMM doesn't look like it would be enjoyable, but I am going to rent it to see just how bad it could be.

Same here. At this point I want to hold off making any blind purchases from any Sentai Filmworks release until I know for sure that I would like the show. I don't want to make the same mistake I did with Indian Summer Anime smile + sweatdrop .
Sirenlove

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:51 am Reply with quote
so I've seen He is My Master and Dark King on Anime Network On Demand and I have come to the same conclusions.

He is My Master I'm sorry but I find a girl getting raped by animal pretty offensive. Maybe it was because she curls up on the couch crying after.... not cool. and its just rediculous its more like a hentai that someone censored for tv!

Dark King is horribly awesome. Massive death and destruction. I love it!

the shelves.... really why is that the first person who has full (or queen) sized bed have an anime poster as their bed mate.... seriously? I hope that was a joke because otherwise its just sad.... and people wonder why I do not want to be labeled as an otaku....
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:59 am Reply with quote
Avoiding spoilers, let's just say the ending of He is My Master is another case of a Gainax Ending. Gainax and Gonzo produce a multitude of great anime, however, the endings occasionally fail in comparison to the rest of the series. Is a Gainax ending a mixture of struggling artists and tradition? Gainax really set themselves up for their Gainax Ending with Evangelion's TV version.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:13 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Asrialys wrote:
And the Obama figure with the Death Note...

Holy crap, I just noticed it... It could just be me....but I think it's the same model as this figure!

HOLY CRAP I WANT THAT.

Also, Obama with a Death Note. LULZ.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:25 am Reply with quote
Sakechan-BD wrote:
For the record, the sisters are 13 and 14. So the next time you're watching Izumi's breasts bobble around and you reach for a tissue, think about your kid sister.
Ah but there's the rub. (no pun intended) I would be willing to bet the house that 98% of the "He Is My" wankers, who would be perspiring watching this, don't have sisters at all. Wink
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:33 am Reply with quote
Bamboo, thank you thank you THANK YOU for reviewing Dark King. I didn't even know this existed, but now my life won't be complete until I see it.

B-503_MIA wrote:
ANN_Bamboo Oh my gosh, Raoh just punched some guy's extended fist, and the other guy's entire body exploded! Raoh is truly as great as Kenshiro.

Well, considering in the movie spoiler[Raoh had basically already killed Kenshiro before whatshername showed up with the flower and convinced him to stop in one of the cheesiest endings of any anime ever], we can't really be *that* surprised, can we?

Also, interesting info on Kenichi. I'm working my way through the first box set now and while I really liked it at first, I'm 6 episodes in and getting a little bored with it as it switches from slapstick to seen-it-a-billion-times training montages. But it sounds like it turns back to what I liked about it in the first place, so you've convinced me to stick with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9