• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Streams Uncensored Strike Witches Episodes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigheart711

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Yeah I saw this. FUNimation isn't ****in around. Those Loli's are being exposed. I thought they were gonna put up the TV Version.
Damn right,the're not f**kin' around! Funimation airs all their content uncensored with an age gate for their TV-MA rated videos if you're on their video site.

However, people have different vews of censored and uncensored versions aired within such sites.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I think the real news here is that Funi's translations are (imho) an improvement over BOST's.
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:26 pm Reply with quote
um did Funimation take the uncensord episodes down?

I wanted to check and see what everyone was talking about so I clicked on the episodes. No age thing poped up and a quickly scaned through the episodes and didn't see any nudity, nudity.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Did Funi's laywers run in and tell them "uncensored could be bad" or something?

I'm not a fan of this at all but hey, if you're going to do it do it right I suppose. Plus it's total hypocrisy if they give RIN ~Daughters of Mnemosyne~ a uncensored release.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:36 pm Reply with quote
J. Kudo wrote:
mozychan wrote:
I just watched ep.3 and 4 on Funi's site and it appears that they are censored now. They must have changed it once they realized that they had uploaded the uncensored ones.

-moose

A sign that they will wuss out on releasing uncensored episodes on DVD? Wink

If the DVDs are censored in anyway, then I refuse to buy them. I rather enjoy the show, but buying something that's been butchered (dramatic in this case, yes) isn't all that appealing to me. Not that I'm expecting Funi to have a censored DVD release (wonder if this'll get the BD treatment...I can hope, right?). Tis a shame about streaming the censored episodes though. I was intending on watching them just to see if they were that 'bad'. Of course the censored ones should give me a good enough idea.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:55 pm Reply with quote
J. Kudo wrote:
mozychan wrote:
I just watched ep.3 and 4 on Funi's site and it appears that they are censored now. They must have changed it once they realized that they had uploaded the uncensored ones.

-moose

A sign that they will wuss out on releasing uncensored episodes on DVD? Wink

Actually, it's a very good sign (if you want the uncensored version anyway). It shows that they have an uncensored version ready enough to put on their site. If they were just going to do the censored version, then they probably wouldn't even have an uncensored version.

Since they've apparently removed the age restriction, they're probably trying to make it so that more people can preview it (assuming that people follow the age restriction in the first place) and get interested enough to buy the DVDs. It also allows them to do more or less what they do in Japan and only release the uncensored version on DVD to give people the incentive to buy it on DVD.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:57 pm Reply with quote
DFBTG wrote:

(wonder if this'll get the BD treatment...I can hope, right?).

It never got the BD treatment in Japan, so it's unlikely that it will here. Or if it does, it'll just be an upscale.
mozychan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:54 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
I think the real news here is that Funi's translations are (imho) an improvement over BOST's.

lol. Sorry to call you out on this, but no they're the same translations that were done by Bost. Funi didn't touch them. I know this because while I was watching ep. 3 and 4 today I ran both Funi's and Crunchyroll's (who's translation was provided by BOST TV) videos side by side to see what, if anything, had been edited. They were identical. Including video quality.

I really don't care that Funi took down the uncensored ones from the site. It does not matter to me as long as the story is unchanged and the white out/fog (and other censorship) is not excessively distracting like is the case with the recent Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu 2 - Purezza Ep. 1... whoever edited that one totally ruined it.

-moose
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In a separate development, the first episode of the To Aru Kagaku no Railgun anime series included a shower scene that ran this past week in several different versions throughout Japan. Several stations showed the scene with added "steam" to conceal the characters' bodies during the shower scene — with some stations showing more steam, and others using less steam or none at all.

Apparently, the first episode of Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu Purezza was like this as well, with different broadcasts having different amounts of steam.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:39 am Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Quote:
In a separate development, the first episode of the To Aru Kagaku no Railgun anime series included a shower scene that ran this past week in several different versions throughout Japan. Several stations showed the scene with added "steam" to conceal the characters' bodies during the shower scene — with some stations showing more steam, and others using less steam or none at all.

Apparently, the first episode of Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu Purezza was like this as well, with different broadcasts having different amounts of steam.

Well, while irritating, the steam is quite normal. If nothing else, it'll help DVD sales in Japan.

But in any case, what I find odd is that there are varying levels of steam. That just seems like more work to me. You'd think that making one censored and one uncensored version was enough. Why censor an episode multiple times? That almost makes me think that the networks are adding the steam instead of the makers of the show.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:01 am Reply with quote
Wetall wrote:
Like there'd be any reason for Funi to care about what's regarded as acceptable or not by people in the UK--They're only allowed to distribute titles in the United States, and as far as we all know, there aren't any companies that are attempting to get the license to release this over there. Rolling Eyes
Thank Christ. I don't want this junk infesting the anime section of my local store.

Mohawk52 wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
Naked loli's? I think Funimation has a huge seller in their future. It's amazing how some people eat this stuff up.
Simply amazing. BTW I told FUNi I was 57, but I'm really 17 not . They said "Welcome" at first, then they discovered I'm British. Rolling Eyes
I know, region blocking is a sin up on both God and Logic, it's pissing them both off!
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:11 am Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
DFBTG wrote:

It never got the BD treatment in Japan, so it's unlikely that it will here. Or if it does, it'll just be an upscale.

Many shows have been animated in HD but only (yet) have a DVD release. Since I watched it on BOST I can't comment on the Japanese broadcast quality, but Gonzo's more recent series Shangri-La was broadcast in HD and disappointingly is being released on DVD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
l33tmeatwad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:43 am Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
DFBTG wrote:

Samurai 7 got a Blu-ray release here and it was not an upscale even though it has not been released in Japan yet. Funimation is getting the HD masters for the shows, they aren't just upscaling them.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:25 am Reply with quote
mozychan wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:

lol. Sorry to call you out on this, but no they're the same translations that were done by Bost. Funi didn't touch them. I know this because while I was watching ep. 3 and 4 today I ran both Funi's and Crunchyroll's (who's translation was provided by BOST TV) videos side by side to see what, if anything, had been edited. They were identical. Including video quality.

Mayhaps they had the uncensored Funimation translation before, and now the censored version is the BOST version. Because I watched ep's 1 and 2 last week and there were definitely differences. I was making side by side comparisons. For example:

spoiler[Funimation, ep 2:

All hands, prepare to abandon ship!
What's going on? What's happening?!
Captain! The central elevator is in operation! Someone's on it!
What?!
To do what I can...To keep my promise...To protect everyone!
Wh-Who's that?!
How is she able to wear a Striker?!
It's the girl Major Sakamoto brought with her. Her name is...
Miyafuji Yoshika!
Miyafuji?! You mean as in Dr. Miyafuji's...?!
Is she seriously going to...?!
Miyafuji?
Here I go!
Pull up! There's no turning back now!
Fly!
Fly, Miyafuji!
I-I'm flying...I'm flying!
Amazing! This is her very first time wearing a Striker, too...!

BOST, ep 2:

All hands, prepare to abandon ship!
What? What's happening?
Captain, the central elevator is in use. Someone is inside.
What?!
I have to do what I can...To keep my promise...To protect everyone!
W-Who is that?!
How is she able to a equip a Striker?
That is the girl Major Sakamoto brought. Her name is...
Yoshika Miyafuji!
Miyafuji?! As in Dr. Miyafuji?!
It can't be!
Miyafuji?
Here I go!
Pick yourself up, it's now or never!
Fly!!
Fly, Miyafuji!
I-I'm flying...I'm flying!
I don't believe it. It's the first time she's worn a Striker...]
Official FUNi Rep
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:37 pm Reply with quote
As our fans know we have always released the series we license in their original, uncut form, as their creators intended.

However, due to the mature content contained within the series Strike Witches and the feedback we received from some of our fans following its streaming launch on www.funimation.com, we have replaced the originally posted unedited episodes with their edited versions.

Fans of the series will be able to purchase the uncut episodes when the series is released on DVD as well as any subsequent subscription or download-to-own digital platforms.

Thanks for watching! Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4