Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 2nd Tokyo Shop Opens Where Visitors Can Sleep (Platonically) With a Woman


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Scormio



Joined: 08 Aug 2010
Posts: 603
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Don't understand this, why would you want to sleep with real girls?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanSaotome



Joined: 29 Mar 2011
Posts: 4210
Location: Towson, Maryland
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I guess the first one was such a big success that now everyone wants a piece of that pie.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Tenebrae



Joined: 26 Apr 2008
Posts: 434
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Eh, isn't that bit too tame for a Kabukicho service?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 9321
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:53 pm Reply with quote
That's a lot of money for such a low-risk venture with little actual work to do, assuming the customer isn't a potential danger to one's safety. I could see stressed out salaryman who don't want to attend pink salons try this type of place.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CrowLia



Joined: 24 Feb 2012
Posts: 5370
Location: Mexico
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure I understand the concept. Do guys pay to have physical contact with a real woman? If so, why does the title say it's "Platonical"?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
gilnokoibito



Joined: 17 Aug 2010
Posts: 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I'm not sure I understand the concept. Do guys pay to have physical contact with a real woman? If so, why does the title say it's "Platonical"?

Platonic = non-sexual. They can sleep beside the woman for a set amount of time, but no sexual contact is allowed. And as for physical contact - they have to pay extra just to pat the girl on the head...That doesn't normally get counted as "sexual" contact, so it's platonic touching only...non-romantic/non-sexual touch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Beatdigga



Joined: 26 Oct 2003
Posts: 3243
Location: Here!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:41 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I guess the first one was such a big success that not everyone wants a piece of that pie.


Which is really disturbing to my Western sensibility. If there's something that I'm missing, please tell me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Kalessin



Joined: 15 Aug 2007
Posts: 927
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
This is the sort of thing that gives the Japanese a reputation for being creepy and perverted.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mpg13



Joined: 17 Jan 2011
Posts: 56
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote
That's just weird.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Polycell



Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 4623
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Which is really disturbing to my Western sensibility. If there's something that I'm missing, please tell me.
What's so disturbing about simulated intimacy?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Beatdigga



Joined: 26 Oct 2003
Posts: 3243
Location: Here!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
Which is really disturbing to my Western sensibility. If there's something that I'm missing, please tell me.
What's so disturbing about simulated intimacy?


People paying good money to sleep next to others because of a complete lack of social skills. Sounds very similar to something illegal in all the states except Nevada. Starts with a "P".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
oriana3k



Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 94
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:55 pm Reply with quote
So it turns out this isn't just a Weird Japanese Thing. A New York woman has made cuddling into a business.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
octopodpie
ANN Executive Editor


Joined: 02 May 2011
Posts: 2107
Location: Washington State
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Polycell wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
Which is really disturbing to my Western sensibility. If there's something that I'm missing, please tell me.
What's so disturbing about simulated intimacy?


People paying good money to sleep next to others because of a complete lack of social skills. Sounds very similar to something illegal in all the states except Nevada. Starts with a "P".


Prostitution is only illegal in Japan insofar as traditional intercourse. Oral sex and a variety of other acts are technically legal there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kalessin



Joined: 15 Aug 2007
Posts: 927
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:12 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Prostitution is only illegal in Japan insofar as traditional intercourse. Oral sex and a variety of other acts are technically legal there.


Just because it's legal doesn't mean that it isn't creepy. There's plenty of other creepy stuff in Japan which is perfectly legal (e.g. http://www.snopes.com/risque/kinky/panties.asp ). And honestly, much as I disagree with prostitution, I find it less creepy than this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kaydub



Joined: 28 Jul 2011
Posts: 318
Location: Cincinnati, OH
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, so it would cost me roughly $8100 USD to lay there and have her stare into my eyes for 10 hours straight... would it cost extra if I asked her not to blink?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group