• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 2nd Tokyo Shop Opens Where Visitors Can Sleep (Platonically) With a Woman

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
Prostitution is only illegal in Japan insofar as traditional intercourse. Oral sex and a variety of other acts are technically legal there.

Just because it's legal doesn't mean that it isn't creepy. There's plenty of other creepy stuff in Japan which is perfectly legal (e.g. http://www.snopes.com/risque/kinky/panties.asp ). And honestly, much as I disagree with prostitution, I find it less creepy than this.

I was only bringing up the point to note the cultural differences between the two countries (U.S. and Japan). Whether U.S. cultural norms might declare something like this "creepy", it might seem less so there where the government doesn't as strongly regulate sexual acts between consenting adults.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:04 am Reply with quote
and Japan's birth rate continue to go down.

Oriana3k wrote:
So it turns out this isn't just a Weird Japanese Thing. A New York woman has made cuddling into a business.

Well glad to know that people in US won't think Japan is home of the strangest stuff since we have something similar.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Flower Metal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:18 am Reply with quote
Dakimakuras are much better than this and cheaper, I have a Azusa Nakano Dakimakura.

Germaphobes can't go to this shop.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:29 am Reply with quote
Wow. Those prices are more than what most prostitutes (legal or otherwise) would charge for several hours of doing the nasty.
3rdHalf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:04 am Reply with quote
I have always considered myself as very open minded, but for some reason this article makes me sad.
Sad
Clarste

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:07 am Reply with quote
This just made me think that these people should consider getting a cat. A cat would let them pat its head all day, for free even! And probably won't secretly judge you.

Actually, do they have places where you can rent time to hang out with cats or dogs or other friendly animals? Like a petting zoo but more comfortable? I might pay for that.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:53 am Reply with quote
Clarste wrote:
A cat [...] probably won't secretly judge you.
I live with cats. They always judge you.
Quote:
Actually, do they have places where you can rent time to hang out with cats or dogs or other friendly animals? Like a petting zoo but more comfortable? I might pay for that.
They're called cat cafes if you want to spend time with the miscreants.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:03 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
I live with cats. They always judge you.

QFT.

But at least cats are cheaper than this bizarre shop and are proven to lower your chances of having a heart attack by 30%. Plus they're (almost) guaranteed to be cute, whereas I can't say the same about the girls.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:11 am Reply with quote
Paying 13 dollars just to so a girl will gaze at you intently for a minute... Now that's just weird.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:13 am Reply with quote
It's sad is what it is.

To have so little contact with females that you have to pay just to get one to look at you . . . damn that's pathetic.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:16 am Reply with quote
I'm somewhat disturbed that enough sexually dysfunctional head-cases actually used the first one enough for them to consider actually building a second one.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:34 am Reply with quote
So you would rather the stressed-out salarymen who don't have an emotionally available significant other go to a soapland instead? The whole point of these things is that sex isn't what the customer wants, not because vaginas scare them.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:49 am Reply with quote
Sounds kinda like the sex therapists that exist in California. It apparently stems from people who have had some sort of attachment trama in their lives and have a fear of being intimate with others. You pay people to hold your hand, hug you, etc., and apparently they help you overcome your fear.

Like others have mentioned, I still don't understand the appeal of this shop. Wanting companionship is one thing, but this seems more like just having a warm body sleep next to you. No where on the ad does it give you the option of paying for meaningful conversation.

Maybe Japan could use some sex therapists. Sounds like there are a lot of people who have intimacy fears that desperately need to address them.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:59 am Reply with quote
I don't think meaningful conversation would help at a place like this - just idle chitchat that makes you feel you're actually close to the woman lying beside you.
Banjo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:00 pm Reply with quote
real girl? no thanks Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3